“Newly refurbed courtyard”

Courtyard Cleveland Airport South
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Nicer location than the Marriott Airport - actually felt safer. Had a few restaurants within walking distance. Rooms nice - free internet, free parking. Breakfast not free but coffee was. Easy to print boarding pass in lobby - airport shuttle easy. Not much else - very typical new Courtyard with a small gym and a pool. I was only there overnight, but nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 September 2012

me and my boyfriend arrived at the hotel around 3 pm we got nice service at the desk, parking was close to the room, the room was nice, the pool was beautiful, there was a hot tub. i would have to say my first impression was a good one...... but then it all went down hill from there

the reason for my stay at this hotel was for a wedding. we had a shuttle reserved to take us to and from the reception. we got there fine but coming back from the reception was a nightmare. one shuttle came and picked up a SMALL group of people and was supposed to be coming back for the rest of the party. we didnt see that shuttle again for an hour and a half we was waiting outside in the cold. o i didnt mention the BRIDE was one of the people left there... how in the world did you forget to pick up the BRIDE. When we finally got to the hotel we was supposed to have a meeting room for the wedding party, that was an empty promise so their were drunk people just walking aroud the hotel. So knowing that you can tell theres about to be a problem. there were 2 wedding parties that day so i dont know how it started but a fight broke out people had to go to the hospital because they were hit with bottles. blood was everywhere, security was nowhere. they had to call the police. Thats not even where my story ends. Me and my boyfriend tried to avoid the drama so we went to our room and went to sleep. At 5 am we were startled out of our sleep by the fire alarm, and my boyfiend having served our country 3 times woke up thought we was under attack and started looking for his gun. We had to leave our room and be stuck out in the cold for the second time by this hotel. Then we go to the lobby to complain and the lobby is under water. WTF. I thought to myself they must be having a rough day im not going to say anything right now because they have bigger issues to worry about, like the water raining down on us from the inside of the hotel.

a few hours later i ask to speak with the manager about our stay, although he was very polite it was a complete waist of time. he put all the blame on the wedding party. let me share his words with you..

1.the reason you were left out in the cold is because one of the members in your party threw up on the shuttle.

2.the reason the fight broke out is because i was told one of the members in your party started the confrontation

3.the fire alarm worked as it should the person who set it of in thier room is being brought up on felony charges. we cant do anything for you because were looking at $50,000 worth of damages.

4. if you want something off your stay call the 1800 number

so with that being said i have a response to you mr. manager

1. if you do not know how to handle wedding parties stop booking blocks for them. when you have a wedding you have drunk people it would be a good idea to have security so their arent any problems and learn how to deal with these situations when they come up. you should have been prepared.

2. If someone threw up on the shuttle. You have 3 more, that ive seen, send another one. again should have been ready i know this cant be the first wedding you've blocked rooms and a shuttle for.

3. someone being charged with a felony because they smoked in their room are you freaking kidding me. Dont you think thats a bit harsh. the most someone expects when they smoke in a room is a fine for the smell or something not $50,000 because the lobby was turned into a swimming pool. how does that even happen... you smoke in your room it dont rain in the room just in the lobby???? what???

Please get it together people. i am going to call the 1800 number. im also going to tell this story to anyone who will listen. you should never i mean never let a guest leave unhappy. before computers one average person can share thier story with 10people now we can share our story with about an average of 1000 people, and im going to tell everyone of them never NEVER stay at this hotel. And show them the pictures of this horrific night o yea there are plenty

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2012

This hotel is highly recommended! The staff is sincerely pleasant and helpful (and not just acting helpful because they were trained to do so) - this is what makes a hotel a fantastic place to stay. Bo and Tiya at the front desk were great, and every staff person I saw in the elevators or hallways greeted me and asked about my stay. It was convenient, and the airport shuttle was smooth and timely. Hotel room was perfect and spotless, with a comfy bed. The decor in the lobby is very inviting. But ultimately, it is the staff that makes this hotel wonderful.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, some don't, so ask for that if it is important to you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Rooms were good and very basic (I do not need anything fancy). The walls could use a little touch up of paint, but other than that, everything was good. A lot of space and the bed was comfy. Shower was nice too. Our room had a refrigerator, microwave and also a balcony. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 18 August 2012

The first thing you notice about this hotel is the filthy carpets in the halls and the tired appearance of this hotel. The carpet in the room a little bit better. It is hard to believe this is a Courtyard - I usually have good luck with Marriotts, but you can not just assume a Marriott property will be a nice place (based on this experience) - even at $180 per night. Unfortunately, it seams you can not be brand loyal when it comes to hotels.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel several years ago, and had the opportunity to stay again this week. It's a great hotel, with great amenities. Reasonably priced, very clean, beautiful lobby, nice indoor pool, beautiful outdoor patio/grounds, shuttle to/from the airport. The staff is great and will go out of your way for you (as they did for me TWICE this week). I wouldn't stay anywhere else while in Cleveland. Love it!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor overlooking the grounds in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I've really enjoyed staying at this Courtyard in the past. And when I stay next door at the Towneplace Suites, which "offers" bland, grab-and-go food, I make a point of walking over to the Courtyard in the morning for an outstanding buffet breakfast. Omelets, potatoes, bacon, pancakes, wonderful drip coffee - they had it all.

After a year's absence, I am in Cleveland again, and just walked into the Courtyard. They have radically re-designed the dining room, a la the Marriott "Bistro" concept. God, what a disappointment! Gone are the elaborate, custom-made breakfasts. You get about four rigid choices (no omelets, for example). That's it. And the turkey BLT I just had for dinner was a study in overpriced mediocrity.

Tomorrow morning, I have nothing to look forward to - just those three or four boring choices on the overhead "menu" above the counter. No more "whatever you ask for" breakfasts in a real restaurant section and no more of that great coffee. (From now on, it's Starbuck's at Courtyard, which in my opinion make horrid drip coffee. But the marketing people must be right - after all, it's Starbuck's!)

I had noticed the "Bistro" layout at other Courtyards I've stayed at in the past year, but didn't realize it was a Marriott-wide change. That makes Courtyards a lot less desirable.

This is still a comfortable, pleasant hotel, with good rates. But I've got to re-think my previous commitment to Marriott now...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo