Thomas Edison Birthplace
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Milan
More attraction details
Owner description: Tiny brick house where the inventor Thomas Edison was born.The museum features a collection of rare Edisonia, examples of many of Edison's early inventions, documents, & family mementos.
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Visited here today! Pluses and minuses here. Early home, some nice furnishings, nothing 'roped' off, lovely gardens around home and in back.

Our tour guide, who appeared to be a college girl, was so sing-songy that we could barely understand her pronunciations. She used the term 'you guys' in just about every sentence and was clearly baffled about certain artifacts, such what Edison's stock ticker invention 'did'. She did do a good job of engaging the boys that were on the tour with another family though. . .maybe she is better for younger families than historical 'sticklers' like me. Her delivery was rote throughout.

Entry fee was inexpensive and we took the 'walk through' tour which was about 20 minutes. I didn't quite get the idea of the different tours since only one price was listed. . . person in the ticket office/shop said the other tour was 45 minutes. I guess if you're an Edison buff that would be better.

Upon leaving the home I was quite surprised to learn that Edison's family moved away from this home when he was 7. So. . .yes it's a birthplace, but no he didn't really 'live' here or invent things here.

A nice way to spend an hour but nothing really special.

2  Thank lostinthepast

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family and I were in Sandusky and Milan and decided to take a day and do some local sightseeing. T. Edison's Birthplace was was wonderful history surprise and well worth visiting to learn more about this great American inventor. Good for families as well as adults. Very reasonable admission charge.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

You get to tour Thomas Edison's birth home. It's filled with many original items. I find homes like this very interesting as you get to learn more about the person and their families. Next door in the office they have a phonograph that you get to listen to and hear how the originals sounded. Definitely worth the $7 admission fee.

2  Thank dgsdks
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

A small tour with original items owned by Thomas Edison and his family. They even have kept up the original wooden floor. Everyone was friendly and the guide was fun, informative, and enthusiastic.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Our family of 2 adults, 2 kids ages 10 & 7 visited May 23. We had come up from Pittsburgh to go to Kalahari and to keep our trip educational since the kids were missing school I found this little historical town (On Trip Advisor, thanks!) We took a break from the waterpark and went over in the afternoon to see Thomas Edison's birthplace. We had a guided tour with a wonderful redhead lady (sorry I do not remember your name) who really knew her stuff plus added in humor, too. My kids really loved the tour and learned a lot at the same time. It was fun to tour the home and see all the antiques. The nice lady in the office where we paid gave my son print-outs with facts so he can take back and tell his class about what he learned - thanks to both of you ladies and thanks for helping teach the young and preserve history.. There was also another (or maybe several other little museums right by this one you can do also) but we ran out of time, only a modest fee but necesary to pay the staff and help keep this preserved. You will tour 3 floors of this older home (not handicap accessible, just keep in mind if thats an issue) thanks again...The Russi Family.

1  Thank MellyRussi