“Great way to escape stress”

The Inn at Honey Run
Ranked #4 of 12 Millersburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Inn @ Honey Run in Millersburg is gently tucked away in the solitude and privacy of the Amish farmlands with many horse and buggies on the roads nearby, but modern comfort is yours at this country inn and restaurant. Yes, it is expensive, but also it is beautifully decored and so comfortable that I was ready to adopt it as "home". Enjoy softly played classical music while dining in the restaurant to elegant meals set in a "rustic" country setting as you gaze out the windows at the forest glen nearby. There are two comfy leather clad lazy-boys in our room with two sky light windows, a king-sized bed, and a bottle of wine, a Keurig coffee maker with pods of delicious brews, and a shower with perfect heat and soft undulating sprays of water to ease away all stress. When you feel ambitious, go for one of the ten quarter mile hikes available. Some go to hilltops and some go into the woods, while others go along a lake or stream. It was three marvelous days away from stress. These foks on staff make it feel just like home...but better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was our first visit to the Inn. We stayed in a Honeycomb room, it was clean, nicely decorated, and cozy. Our balcony overlooked treetops, gorgeous! We had never experience anything like it. The property is very woodsy, lots of walking trails, nice quiet getaway. The restaurant was upscale, food was good, servers were "efficient". The women who seemed to be the one in charge of the dining room, became a little more social, after she served us a few times, which was nice. The rest of the staff was "efficient", which they are trained to be. The people skills were lacking. The guests were much more pleasant then the staff. There was one employee who was just hired there, not too long before our stay, she stood out! She was always smiling, pleasant, informative, helpful, I could go on!! She was very refreshing. I, do, hope, she stays that way. When we arrived, we went to check in, it was before check in time, so we were told our room wasn't ready. Check in was at 4, we got there at 2:45, we thought we would look around a little until they informed us that our room was ready at 3:50. I did request early check in when I made the reservation, but the gentleman I talked to said he would note it, but it was not guaranteed, which we understand. I think the thing that bothered us the most was that when we went to check in, the person that was registering us did what she needed to do, nothing more. I will use that word again, she was "efficient". No pleasantries. After I filled out my information and gave it to her, I stood there waiting, she saw me standing there and didn't bother to tell me that our registration was complete. In fact, my husband came in asked me, if I was done. I said i guess not, she still didn't answer, it took the employee at the other computer to tell me, "oh yes, your registration is complete"! Also, at all the hotels/Inns we have stayed, if you do need to wait, they tell you some things about the property, things to know if you have the time to explore. She said nothing. I saw the "new employee" coming up from downstairs and asked her about the downstairs, she informed me of what was down there and a little history. There was a beautiful sitting area downstairs and attached balcony that was lovely. We would have never known. They had lemonade and homemade biscotti in the lobby area behind the desk, no one bothered to mention it, we didn't notice til we were leaving. Also, a attached balcony/porch off that lobby, nice peaceful place to sit.....I guess the employee at the desk didn't feel it necessary to make us feel welcome. The Inn/property, itself, was a nice experience, but I have to say I have a much more welcoming experience at a hotel chain, then I did at this intimate Inn.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Deb456Cleveland
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My husband and I recently celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary by spending a weekend in one of the honeycomb rooms. The property is secluded and private with simple yet adequate furnishings. The staff was always courteous and willing to assist as needed. Short, well-maintained walking trails throughout the property were very nice. The extra thought to leave umbrellas for use at entrances was great as we endured a rainy Saturday. Bathroom amenities could be upgraded. The whirlpool tub is barely good for one so don't plan on 2 fitting. Not sure why the spa on the property closed but we would have liked to have had that option. The restaurant was average for breakfast and good for dinner - nothing fabulous.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We recently stayed at the Inn. This was our second visit (our 1st was 20 years ago)....not much has changed in that time. Our room in the honeycomb was updated and the view is still spectacular. The staff is courteous. The atmosphere is serene.
A continental breakfast is served daily in the Tarragon Room and was excellent. On our first visit the food was brought to the room, which was a nice amenity.
There were a few disappointments. Dinner is pricey and very portion controlled.The Spa is not open and in the evening there is not much to do. Each room has satellite but no pay for view. Also a DVD player is present but if you want to watch a movie bring your own or travel to Red Box in Millersburg. Also there are no street lights after leaving the Inn.Easy to get lost.
We love the quiet woodsy atmosphere, trails & atmosphere but do not foresee returning for the price and lack of amenities. The magic of the first visit was not duplicated...

Room Tip: stay in the Honeycombs. Cost is higher but excellent room with a view
4  Thank penysfrmhvn
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We have stayed here twice and both time we had a lot of fun. The room was really cool and clean. Had a nice dinner a the restaurant and the fod was pretty good. Staff wa friendly and helpful. We woud reommend it to anyone looking for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed in the honeycomb Suites both times
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie C
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This was our first visit to Inn at Honey Run in 9 years and found many improvements (TV, room quality, ambiance, etc) but felt there were areas that did not meet our expectations. The Inn remains a lovely and serene location and the personnel we met were very welcoming and attentive. We stayed using a 2 night package from the Inn that included a credit for dining. We love the location and the property maintenance is impressive. Overall, the dining (in our case breakfast and dinner) fell significantly below what I would expect for the price. Breakfast (continental) is included and was very good; the only complaint is the unattended wait to be seated. We had lengthy waits both mornings for someone to show up at the hostess station; if you are going to have a 'wait to be seated' sign then you better have it staffed properly! The dinner was a big loser for the price. The pretentious menu and presentation did not match the mediocre quality food. The price for a 'Tarragon Knife and Fork 10 oz Burger' was $24 (prices not listed on their website'). Like another reviewer I ordered medium and received well done and tasteless. My spouse ordered pork cutlet which was likewise mediocre at best. With the least expensive wine by the glass in the $12 range, they have priced themselves beyond reasonable. While the award winning chef is hyped, we found the dinner to be nothing special. Had I not had a credit for the restaurant, I would have been much more upset. How can an award winning chef not be able to cook a 10 oz burger? The Inn at Honey Run is good if you can get a good rate, but do not eat anything other that breakfast here! You can find better choices, even with the remote location. Our dinner while driving home was 100 % better at a third of the price of Honey Run! My comments on the room: the mattresses and pillows need improvement, add an extra mirror and a few wall decorations, rethink those awful fiberglass showers (the appendages take up half the shower!), add some convenient plugs for charging electronics (just visit a Fairfield or Hampton for ideas) and use keyless room entry. Despite some negative comments, I do feel the Inn has weathered the 9 years since our last visit very well. It is still an inviting tranquil respite from the rest of the area and that makes it a great value for those wanting something different than the typical chain location.

5  Thank hokiedad_7
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Tucked away in the rolling hills of Amish country is this lovely in. It had a "lodge" type building with some guest rooms, I am guessing maybe 2 dozen on it's 3 floors, along with a dozen rooms in another location built in a hill; they looked interesting an Hope to stay in them next time. We stayed in the top floor of the lodge and the room with very unique. It had a slanted wall at the far end with 2 sun roof windows; that end also was a sunken step down with a wood slatted ceiling and 2 twin mattresses end to end.. The only odd thing about the room was it was lacking a small refrigerator but had a sleeve of 3 homemade biscotti, a Keuring coffee maker, and 2 very plush robes. The shower was also quite small with a curved roof to it but the bathroom had very nice orange lotions and hair care products. The beds were too hard. The room included a continental breakfast in the very lovely restaurant. We has vanilla yogurt along with a large bowl and I am guessing homemade granola, minced up fresh fruit, and choice of 1 pastry---also I heard a neighboring table ask for more than 1 pastry. We also were given a choice of orange or cranberry juice and coffee or tea. All in all the breakfast was quite satisfying. I saw comments that the restaurant was pricey; if you want seclusion this is it and there's a price for it. Not for the cheapskates!

Room Tip: Top floor is very quiet. No traffic at all in the area.
2  Thank JaneWilder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millersburg
Berlin Resort
#4 of 5 in Berlin
Holmes with a View
Holmes with a View
#4 of 4 in Millersburg

Been to The Inn at Honey Run? Share your experiences!