“Do NOT stay here!!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
South Bend, Indiana
“Do NOT stay here!!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stopped in around 2am, and they gave me the handicapped accessible room. It was dingy, dark, the carpet was frayed, bedsheets had strange stains on them. I couldn't get the deadbolt to engage because it didn't line up with the slot. Sleeping soundly became an issue.

There were dead bugs all over the bathroom, and the final straw was finding the mouse droppings in the shower the next morning. I got out of there by 7am the next morning.

Disgusting place. Doesn't even deserve a rating......I am choosing Terrible because the system won't let me submit the review without it.

DO NOT STOP HERE!

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Skwerl29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2012

You wouldn't want to spend your vacation here but if you are travelling on the turnpike as we were this worked out great. We were travelling east and wanted to get past Chicago. About midnight we called them on our cell phone and they had a room.

We were pleasantly surprised with a no frills room but very comfortable beds.
The room was clean and stocked with clean towels.

No breakfast is served here, you have to use the small restaurant next door for breakfast,
This place was perfect for our needs, a good night sleep! And then back on the road.
And we didn't have to pay an arm and a leg!

Try it, you'll like it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Raggs99
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I came off the turnpike around 11:30pm looking for a place to stay. When I first walked in to the lobby, I was hit with a strange smell which I couldn't exactly pinpoint. The gentleman at the front desk was an older Indian guy with a thick accent. I talked with him about the room options, and the price sounded right, so I figured I might give this place a try. I asked him if I could please inspect one of the rooms before I make a final decision, and I was informed "No", because it always leads to problems. I cannot believe that I was expected to pay my money and go in to the room sight unseen. The rate was $40, therefore I was someone skeptical of the cleanliness. Needless to say, the employee's answer pretty much said it all and I got back on the highway and drove to a much, much nicer hotel that I was comfortable staying at without a pre-inspection.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank nate269

Travellers are raving about these Montpelier hotels

Hudson, OH
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Very basic, very nice. No frills but no shockers either. Nice half way stop between Chicago and Cleveland.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Brad623
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Great value for a "one star" hotel. We were pleasantly surprised by what we got for our money.

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank empollard
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 January 2008

It's a roach motel without the roaches. At least I didn't see any. Some lights didn't work, a recliner in the room should was the most disgusting piece of "furniture" I've seen in a long time, and the whole place smelled a bit off.

However, I couldn't keep driving so this sure beats the car. Although it's closer than it should be.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 June 2006

On the plus side......kinna cheap about $55 with the AAA discount....was convienient, right off the turnpike.

On the minus side...The light in the little room with the sink didn't work, well it did come on in the middle of the night....The bathroom door had a hole kicked in it....there was graffiti on the bathroom floor and wall.....the sink drain didn't work, sink filled up really quick.....the faucet in the tub spewed out some kind of red stuff that covered the bottom of the tub....the tub would not drain either, between that and the red stuff we decided we didn't really need a shower that bad.....the plastic grateing on the air conditioner/heater was busted up....and last but not least, the lobby stinks.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Rainbow Motel Montpelier
Best Western Wauseon
Best Western Wauseon
#2 of 3 in Wauseon
Days Inn Toledo Airport

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!