“Wanted to have a fun weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Gilead
Jellystone Park at Dogwood Valley
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Where do I start...my whole family has camped many times at different places over the lasy few yrs...we wanted to try another place...we usually do the KOA's...which have been wonderful. So it all started we booked wks in advance(my 4 family group was 1st to book) everyone else went ahead & booked...we all requested water & electric & for us all to be close together....great seemed to be no problem...few wks later my cousin calls me b/c her friend also booked & was given our camp site...we all knew our camp site numbers...so I called Dogwood & they had moved us to another camping area away from the familydogwood had no explanation as to why they didn't call & ask us if we wanted to be moved away from that area...I woudn't have cared if they would have kept us in the same camping area for all of us ...even for my cousin's friend..that would have been fine, but to move us to an area aways from our group & not even call us & ask us was a bit upsetting...I honestly was nice about it & just kinda blew it off thinking mistakes happen...well then it happened again few wks later...my mom called down to confirm our sites & she was told that we had cancelled just our site...so my mom called me & asked me if we had cancelled & I said no...again I called them to see what was going on & they AGAIN had moved us to another camping site away from our family & w/ calling us...so AGAIN I didn't get too upset, but I did express my concerns to them...SO few days later...my cousin calls me & says we aren't aloud to take our own camping wood...that we have to buy it there or we will be kicked out b/c they go around to do checks. Dogwood said we should have known that b/c it is listed on their web site. So my husband wasn't too happy about that,but we decided to still go even though we had tons of wood here for free that was from a tree we had cut down....so then some of us got a call that we had to pay in full a few wks before camping d/t some issues they had last yr...some of our seven groups of family didn't get the call, but we told each other...otherwise we found out if we didn't pay then that we would lose the $$$ we had already put down & lose the site...that was a bit annoying. I think if they wanted full pmt...they should just request that in the beginning. SO...my mom calls there a few days before camping to ask if it was ok to bring christmas lights for our electric site to help make it easier to see at night(my cousin is considered legally blind) so this esp. helps make things easier....anyhow the person my mom talked to said "What are you talking about...you all don't have electric...those are non-electric sights"...so I don't have to type anymore...basically the sights we had were at one time electric sites, but they were updating things & didn't get them fixed in time for that weekend we were to camp & said at the time they could refund our money or move us....I ended up calling there...talked things over with them very NICELY... they ended up moving us to another place for groups that they said was huge & really nice...much to our misunderstanding once we got there...it wa svery small area & was close to the traffic & had a huge drop off at the one edge of the site which was very unsafe for us w/having 10 small kids...so they basically said that they were unable to please us & that we were difficult to deal with & kicked us all out & said none of us were ever aloud back there...they did however give us all our $$$ back thankfully! It was very upsetting...the lady we dealt with was Nancy & she was VERY rude. BUT we ended up just going to the place that we've camped at many times before at KOA in Butler Ohio & plan on going back to KOA again next weekend...sad that we had such a bad outcome w/dogwood b/c my grandmother used to take me there when I was a little girl...just wanted to be able to go back there again & it did seem like a cool place BUT they do dollar & dime you for everything...the charge is high just for friend to come visit & among other things...anyhow best of luck to all of those camping...we love to camp. Wish I could have wrote a better review

");

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie L

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I was only able to spend 2 nights in a beautiful new cabin, but if i could.. i would spend a month! really! i was with my kids ages 5,6,7 and my cousins and their kids ages 14,16 and 12. THEY WERE NEVER BORED! I with everything included in the price.. the water slide, the canoes, the paddleboats...it made it so much easier than 'knickle and diming' me all day. fishing... hiking.. the campground was clean. the bathrooms clean and modern. the campsites were well cared for and easily accessible. it is a true family place. I only wish it was closer to our home in North Carolina! thanks for an amazing few days!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank momontheloose
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We had a great experience at Dogwood Valley, You could not ask for nicer owners, or nicer campers, anywhere else that I can think of. The campground itself is lovely, and though we went prior to the season really kicking off, it is clear that there are a large variety of things to do that would keep just about anyone entertained. We are really looking forward to going back when the weather is warmer and we can take advantage of the pools, the lake, the slide and all of the other amenities they offer. A must stay if you are in the Ohio area!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BradyFan
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I shopped many months for a clean family friendly camp ground where our daughter could feel safe. The recent owners of this camp ground have put so much money, time, and effort into making it a place where they would feel safe to have their grandchildren stay. Rowdiness and profanities are not allowed here and the grounds are well kept and very clean. I start my day with a walk around the lake or sometimes a great workout in the work out center. The afternoon holds a swim in the pool and the evenings are clean, fun, family movies or dances. I am too old for the water slide but many kids think this is the best part of the park. The store is stocked with amish goodies and sundries and very reasonably priced. Yes you have to pay to bring guests in but I think this keeps outsiders to a minimum; thus increasing the safety of the park. We won't go anywhere else!!! There are things to do and friends to make at Dogwood Valley!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Elen P
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I've seen a number of improvement in Dogwood Valley in the last 3 years. The owners have made huge changes from the previous owners and made a big investment in the place. I've been there with my daughter and the new slide and lake swimming were a blast for her. It's truly a place to slow down, decompress and just hang out with people.
Everyone is very friendly and the restrooms and showers have been a huge improvement over the previous owner

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I am not a regular camper. I went to Dogwood Valley last weekend and tent camped for the first time in many years. I was very relieved to find the restroom to be very clean and well maintained. The showers looked like they were new. This lake is beautiful and overall the grounds were well maintained. There were a lot of activities going on for adults and children alike. Pets are welcome and the people were very friendly.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank KRenee1975
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We have been seasonal campers here for the past 4 years. The new owners have made great strides to improve the park and are really coming along. Of course someone will always complain about something, but I really cannot find much to complain about. The roads are not the best but from what I hear they adding additional sewer sites in the future so why put money into the roads just to tear them up again. And for the person complaining about nickle and diming, when you go on a vacation, you are charged for extra's, why should it be any different here? The water slide is NOT free for seasonal campers. I have been to many campgrounds, this is a family friendly and beautiful campground.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Jellystone Park at Dogwood Valley? Share your experiences!