“Christmas at Harding Cabin”

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Galveston, IN
“Christmas at Harding Cabin”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The only thing that could make this experience better would have been lots of snow! We used this time as a family Christmas gathering and found the cabin beautifully decorated for Christmas and so very welcoming. The isolated location was perfect with the view over the lake and having the lodge facilities at our disposal was incredible. What a beautiful lodge with the fireplace and the tree, etc.The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PattyJoKokomo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Our family of 4 stayed 1 night at Deer Creek State Park Lodge. We took advantage of an off season special, as it would allow our children to enjoy a nice indoor pool and a night away from home a few short weeks before baby #3 arrives. We only live 35 minutes away, so it was very convenient to get to.

The lodge itself is very pretty, classic and outdoorsey and very clean. There is a large gas fireplace in the common area that always had people sitting in front of it. Check-in was a breeze. The front desk attendant was very courteous and polite. We had a recently updated room in the B wings second floor. It was very clean, no funny smellls or bedbugs, and there was a small fridge for us to use. Beds were nicely made and comfortable. I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy, and the beds were a little soft for my taste (I'm miserable pretty much anywhere right now!), but my husband thought they were just fine. Fitted sheet, flat sheet, comforter, then another flat sheet on top, though I would just prefer a flat sheet and full blown duvet cover on the comforter. We had a nice view of the outdoor pool area, which of course was closed for the winter. Our main purpose for going was to enjoy the indoor pool. Our kids, ages 4 and 6, loved it and swam for over 2 hours. The pool is open until 11pm, which is very nice since many hotels close their pool areas at 8 or 9 pm. The pool area was clean, towels for guest use were located in the locker room area, and the chlorine smell wasn't overpowering. We got pizzas from the bar for dinner, which was surprisingly excellent. VERY cheesey! We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which had a variety of foods suited for any preference. However, while the price for dinner for 4 was reasonable, the price of breakfast for 4 was outrageous. They must not offer a childrens rate.

We are planning on returning for another brief getaway again in the future. The only real complaint I have was that there was no "hold" placed on my debit/credit card that I made the online reservation with. I swear when I made the reservation, there was a message that said "This will be held against your card in a pending status until your arrival, at which time you may choose to pay in full with a different method of payment." Not how it happened. I made the reservation on a Tuesday, we checked in on Friday, the $ was removed from my account on Thursday prior to our arrival. So if I wanted to change methods of payment, I would have been out of luck. Just a warning. But overall, we're looking forward to our return.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We've stayed in a cabin overThanksgiving for three or four days since 1999...we need two cabins now since our family has grown.....the kids look forward to it every year and actually count down the months until Deer Creek...more popular than Christmas for our family....it is a valued tradition

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Scenic location and over the top service! We enjoyed the lakefront view from our room. The banquet food was delicious and the staff were all attentive to our needs!

Would highly encourage an overnight stay!

• Stayed December 2011
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We arrived later in the evening and found that the bunk beds were unmade. They had the mattress pad (bunched up and not attached) and the fitted sheet (inside out on bottom bunk), but I had to do the flat sheet and blanket. When I unfolded the blanket for the top bunk, I found a big hairball. My daughter did not want to sleep in the bed after she saw it. After making the beds I went into the bathroom and found a significant amount of hair in the bathtub, as if someone had cut their bangs in the tub. YUCK. Our refrigerator was sticky on the front and the coffee maker had dust on the top. We went swimming in the morning and found the pool area unclean as well. Wrappers, mud, and hair were on the tile. The heat in the hot tub did not work.

On the good side, the bathrooms have been updated and the counter was clean as well as the floor.

I paid over $170 for this room and do not feel like I got my money's worth at all. I realized this is a lodge, but if you are going to charge this much for a room, please make sure it's clean...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Peg A
USA
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Went with some frineds down to Circleville, Ohio for the Pumpkin Festival and stayed at Deer Creek Lodge. Loved the festival and were very pleased with the lodge as well. The rooms were comfortable and clean, more like a hotel than a state lodge. We had a nice balcony overlooking the outdoor pool area. The view from the restaurant overlooking the lake was fantastic. Our breakfast was delicious and we really enjoyed sitting by the fire in the lobby, after walking around the festival all day, sipping a glass of wine from the bar. The hiking trails were good though not teribbly challenging. We were about 25 minutes from the Pumpkin Festival and the drive through the countryside was nice. We would definitely chose this lodge again for a nice getaway.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Taco42
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Went to Deer Creek for a quick overnight. The lodge was nice with a pretty view of the lake. The kids loved the indoor pool and hot tub. We also enjoyed several of their hiking trails. Nice getaway!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Sterling
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Circleville
Baymont Inn & Suites Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Christopher Inn & Suites
Christopher Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!