“The biking! The hiking! The pool! Oh my!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Hartville, Ohio
“The biking! The hiking! The pool! Oh my!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Ever have a get-away that stands out from the rest? This was our experience at Deer Creek this week. Everything was - dare I say it? - perfect! Before we were even checked into our room we saw 3 deer. We rented bikes and loved the safe roads we could ride on. The trails are delightful, we enjoyed our hiking! And the pool! Ahhhhh, the pool! The water was deliciously warm! And immaculately maintained!

Our room overlooked the lake and more raccoons than I can count! The restaurant was always exceptional. I'm not big on eggs, but the scrambled eggs here are fluffy and oh-so-good! The chef outdoes himself.

This is our third time here but on our last evening, as we dined overlooking the sun setting over the lake, I was so sad because we would be leaving the next morning. No matter what your age, Deer Creek has something for everyone - all beautifully maintained and managed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
William G, General Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at Deer Creek with others. It is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay and all there is to experience here. We hope we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
South Vienna, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center is a diamond in the rough. There are an abundance of activities at this state park and yet, I find myself not wanting to do anything but listen to the birds, the trees whispering in the breeze and the water lapping along the beach. This park has the ability to reduce the stress on one's life for the amount of time you spend here. It is truly a beautiful state park which every single person, couple or family should experience in their lifetime.

Room Tip: Loves the rooms with the lake view.....beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
There is a lot to be said when one can just relax! We are happy you were able to enjoy all Deer Creek has to offer and hope you have the opportunity to relax here again in the near future.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband, 3 children (11, 8, 5 years) and I stayed at the Deer Creek State Park Lodge for Labor Day weekend 2013 and were pleased with the overall quality and very impressed with the service. Zenia at the front desk was super nice, efficient, and greeted us by name several times over the course of our stay. We ate dinner at Rafter's Restaurant in the lodge, which overlooked the lake and the food and service were very good.

Deer Creek is a beautiful state park 45 minutes south of Columbus with a 1,300 acre lake, wooded trails, a lodge and cabins for rent. The pool was a fun family pastime, as were the hiking trails. We also rented a pontoon boat from the marina and fished, picnicked and swam from the boat -- the boat experience was the highlight of the trip. We also took part in a wagon ride and water balloon toss at the lodge.

The facilities are dated and even the refurbished rooms we stayed in had some issues --- the beds and bathroom countertops had been redone, but the tile in the bathtubs were iffy and the overall feel was not luxurious --- functional facilities in a beautiful natural setting with a lot of friendly, capable employees, but not luxurious. (this is not a knock on the property, but it's not the place to go for a 5-star stay, which probably makes it more comfortable for families anyway)

Room Tip: We enjoyed our lake view rooms. The pool view rooms would have likely been too noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Londonderry, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was invited to a wedding in August of 2013 at the Deer Creek State park in Mt. Sterling, Ohio. Having driven through Ohio several times over my lifetime and seeing mostly the industrial areas of Ohio, I wasn't expecting much to be quite honest. Boy I was wrong! My stay at Deer Creek State Park was one of the best adventures of my life. The people who worked for the Park were very courteous and professional and we never felt like there were going to be any unwanted surprises (There weren't). The grounds were very well kept and quite beautiful in my opinion. There were trails to hike and many place to ride a bike, (rentals were available for a fair price). There was an indoor and outdoor pool with a lifeguard (outdoor) and plenty of towels (no charge). The first night we arrived, we were sent to a private area off to the side of the Lodge where a campfire was lit for us, a bar was brought outside, and a volleyball pit awaited us. We had a lot of fun and it was a great way to wind down from the long road trip as a lot of the guests had made the trek from New England in thier automobiles and had been ariving since the previous day. The arcade was a great way for the kids to get away from the adults for awhile and win tokens to and claim their wonderful prizes. The games were fully automated and once or twice a game would have a technical problem but the maintenance crew were right there to remedy the problem. My 7 year old son hit a 1000 coupon prize and that made his day. Some of the other activities that were available were fishing, boat and jet ski rentals as well as canoe and Kayak rentals. The lake is a man-made lake that was built from 1965-68 if I remember correctly by the Army Corp. of Engineers (They are actually the safety patrols on the lake). There was a dam built in order to create the lake and there are tours every morning for those interested in such things. I wanted to go but could not get anyone else to join me. I will defenitely take the tour the next time I am there. We did see Deer, which we didn't find surprising, hence the name of the park. I also saw, wild turkeys, turtles, raccoons, groundhogs, and many colorful birds, all of which added to the beauty of this park. The restaurant and pub were quite nice as well and very reasonably priced. The restaurant offers a morning breakfast buffet which is quite nice. After the second day, I noticed that I was beginning to feel less stressed and before I knew it, I was having one of the best vacations of my life and to top it off, the wedding was beautiful. It took place outside in the gazebo which was located by the water. It was supposed to rain that day but a few of the guests did a rain dance and apparently it worked much to our surprise. The sun came out for the wedding and everyone was thrilled. I would recommend this Park to everyone and I truly hope I get the chance to return one day, maybe for my own wedding which I am hoping will be soon. I would definitely consider Deer Creek State Park to make my matrimonial vows.

Room Tip: If you like seeing wildlife up front and close, ask for a room facing the Lake and you will see racc...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Scott C
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed at the resort for a reunion over the July 4th holiday. Our check in was quick and the bunk room was nice. The staff that we had contact with were very nice even during our scavenger hunt that involved pictures with them. The restaurant was good. My kids loved the mac and cheese! The pools worked well with our group. We would definitely consider returning here for another reunion.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed a couple of nights for a conference, and enjoyed the stay. Nice outdoor and indoor pools, the lake views are beautiful, and the golf course was in nice shape. The rooms were clean and spacious and included a mini-fridge. The only drawback I found was that the food was very average and you're a pretty good drive from anything else. We were with a conference and had buffet style meals, so maybe the food was different in the restaurant ?

Overall, I think this would be a nice family weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Tenerife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

This was our last stop on a 5 day tour of several Ohio State Parks so we were anxious to see how Deer Creek compared to the others. Check-in was fast and easy and because we arrived at the onset of a huge storm, we were lucky we could head to the indoor pool ( the water temperature was like bath water so of course my kids stayed in extra long and had a blast! the hot tub was nice, too, not overly hot like in some hotels). My only gripe about the indoor pool was the fact that the restroom/changing area had too much water accumulation on the floor so I opted to head back to my room instead of using the pool restroom). Our room was cozy and clean with a set of bunks for the kids and a nice balcony. However, when we arrived, we noticed the sliding door screen off its hinges. I immediately called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man who brought a new screen, although that didn't fit. He apologized and said he'd have to fix the old one, but that one never did appear. Oh, well, we had the glass doors shut and the AC on anyway. The restaurant view of the lake was goegeous and our server very friendly, especially accomodating with the children's meals. Whoever mixed my whiskey sour in the bar did an AMAZING job. My only complaint about the crab and scallop appetizers is that they were way too small.
We took advantage of the clear weather the following morning to use the outdoor pool, playground and tennis court... all in very good condition.
All the staff I encountered, even at the gift shop, were very friendly.
Deer Creek Lodge is a place my family would consider visiting again one day.

• Stayed July 2013
Quality Inn Chillicothe
#6 of 8 in Chillicothe
Candlewood Suites Columbus - Grove City
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!