“Very nice place to stay”

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Sterling
Zanesville, Ohio
“Very nice place to stay”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

It's been a long time since I have stayed at one of Ohio's State Park Lodges. Deer Creek was very nice. It does need some updating. But the scenery and wildlife were so wonderful. The lake is beautiful and the leaves were starting to change color. I have my own personal groundhog greet me every morning and evening when I was on my porch. The staff were very courteous. The food in the restaurant and at the conference was great. If you need to get away from it all or want to have a retreat where you can focus on the tasks at hand, Deer Creek is perfect. No malls, shopping centers, etc. close by. Thank you Deer Creek!!!

Room Tip: Get a lake facing room. Wake up to the sun coming up over the lake.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
William G, General Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
I would like to thank you for your comments concerning your stay here at the Lodge. It is always good to hear how well our guests have enjoyed their stay here. We are working on some updates to the lodge and I hope we are fortunate to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

After printing off the directions from the Deer Creek Lodge website, we discovered that a key road leading to the entrance and spent 45 minutes lost and on the phone with the desk staff. When we arrived, there were two other people in line to check in. The staff was "in training" and it took 20 minutes to get checked in. The lodge itself was nice, with a beautiful view overlooking the lake. The pool (indoor and outdoor) looked nice and we enjoyed the hot tub. We decided to eat at the onsite restaurant. The food was reasonably priced and nicely prepared, but they were understaffed and everything took a very long time. The room itself was nice, but over priced-- we have stayed in similar rooms for almost half the cost. The little balcony was dirty. When we checked out, the manager asked me if we enjoyed our stay. I shared my observations. Instead of apologizing, she was defensive and argued with me, which seemed unprofessional. I don't think we would recommend this place to our friends because it was not a good value.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Judy R
I apologize that the detour information was hard to find on our web page. The good news is the bridge has been completed and the detour is no longer an issue. I have followed up with the appropriate departments about the issues you had during your stay as it is definitely not up to our standards. We have enacted several changes that should address these issues head on...
Waverly, Ohio
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We spent the night on September 28. Many of my family stayed here that night as our family reunion was the next day. I loved the lodge and enjoyed a very nice room with a lake view. I was not impressed with the rental cottages(had a cousin rent one of those). They just weren't real nice inside. Or at least theirs wasn't.

The food at the restaurant in the lodge was delicious. Shared the Ohio Chesapeake Chicken and a Ribeye steak dinner with my mother. Both were fabulous. Presentation by the chef was excellent.

First visit here but will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Room 248 had a wonderful view of the lake.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
It’s great to hear you enjoyed your first visit to Deer Creek so much you’re already talking about returning! Deer creek offers a lot to do and enjoy as a family and it’s great to know your family enjoyed it. I’m glad your meals in the dining room exceeded your expectations and I have to say those are two of my favorite dishes as well. Looking forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
Huron, Ohio
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned home today from the lodge.My husband was in a triathlon today at the park.We arrived yesterday around 1 pm our room was already for us even though check in was not till 3 that was really nice.We had lunch there at there restaurant ,food was ok but the service was not up to par.There were only 3 tables occupied and we were one of them.We did hike a few of the trails they were not marked very well but it was very pleasant.We did not make the time to swim in the pool but it looked great we felt the water and it did feel great not to cold.I see where the lodge got its name. I woke up around 3 am and sat on my deck there were 3 dear just walking around and grazing right in front of me.When I woke up around 530 there were A couple raccoons and a few more dear.It was a wonderful treat to wake up to.All in all the place was clean and comfortable .I would recommend the lodge and I would return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. Deer Creek is one of Ohio State Parks hidden gems and we’re glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay. There is an abundance of wildlife here and isn’t it great to be able to experience that first hand. We are glad you had to opportunity to enjoy the beauty of your park. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hartville, Ohio
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Ever have a get-away that stands out from the rest? This was our experience at Deer Creek this week. Everything was - dare I say it? - perfect! Before we were even checked into our room we saw 3 deer. We rented bikes and loved the safe roads we could ride on. The trails are delightful, we enjoyed our hiking! And the pool! Ahhhhh, the pool! The water was deliciously warm! And immaculately maintained!

Our room overlooked the lake and more raccoons than I can count! The restaurant was always exceptional. I'm not big on eggs, but the scrambled eggs here are fluffy and oh-so-good! The chef outdoes himself.

This is our third time here but on our last evening, as we dined overlooking the sun setting over the lake, I was so sad because we would be leaving the next morning. No matter what your age, Deer Creek has something for everyone - all beautifully maintained and managed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
William G, General Manager at Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at Deer Creek with others. It is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay and all there is to experience here. We hope we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
South Vienna, OH
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center is a diamond in the rough. There are an abundance of activities at this state park and yet, I find myself not wanting to do anything but listen to the birds, the trees whispering in the breeze and the water lapping along the beach. This park has the ability to reduce the stress on one's life for the amount of time you spend here. It is truly a beautiful state park which every single person, couple or family should experience in their lifetime.

Room Tip: Loves the rooms with the lake view.....beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
There is a lot to be said when one can just relax! We are happy you were able to enjoy all Deer Creek has to offer and hope you have the opportunity to relax here again in the near future.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband, 3 children (11, 8, 5 years) and I stayed at the Deer Creek State Park Lodge for Labor Day weekend 2013 and were pleased with the overall quality and very impressed with the service. Zenia at the front desk was super nice, efficient, and greeted us by name several times over the course of our stay. We ate dinner at Rafter's Restaurant in the lodge, which overlooked the lake and the food and service were very good.

Deer Creek is a beautiful state park 45 minutes south of Columbus with a 1,300 acre lake, wooded trails, a lodge and cabins for rent. The pool was a fun family pastime, as were the hiking trails. We also rented a pontoon boat from the marina and fished, picnicked and swam from the boat -- the boat experience was the highlight of the trip. We also took part in a wagon ride and water balloon toss at the lodge.

The facilities are dated and even the refurbished rooms we stayed in had some issues --- the beds and bathroom countertops had been redone, but the tile in the bathtubs were iffy and the overall feel was not luxurious --- functional facilities in a beautiful natural setting with a lot of friendly, capable employees, but not luxurious. (this is not a knock on the property, but it's not the place to go for a 5-star stay, which probably makes it more comfortable for families anyway)

Room Tip: We enjoyed our lake view rooms. The pool view rooms would have likely been too noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Sterling
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Circleville
Baymont Inn & Suites Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington Court House
Holiday Inn Express Washington C...
#1 of 3 in Washington Court House
Christopher Inn & Suites
Christopher Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe

Been to Deer Creek Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!