“Good food”

Jake's
Ranked #31 of 77 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

It's a bit pricey for what you get, but they usually have good specials. Service is good. Bar area is nice.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I've tried Jakes about 4 times over so many years. Every time I went the food was average at best. I've heard that their food is good so I kept trying but with the same results. The last time I went was particularly disturbing though. There was a smell that seemed to be coming from the hallway where the bathrooms are, and it smelled something like rotting chicken. I can't accurately describe it but that's close enough! It wasn't overpowering but strong enough to make me feel uncomfortable. I'm not sure I will ever try Jake's again.

3  Thank Capt-WildBillKelso
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Jake's Steakhouse in Mount Vernon, Ohio is one of 3 Jake's in north central Ohio. (The other two are in Wooster and in Ashland.) We have eaten only at the Mount Vernon location but have been there more times than I'd care to count. If tonight's meals are any indication, Jake's just keeps getting better and better. In the past, most meals there have been very good but occasionally the quality of the food hasn't been quite up to par. However, for the past several visits including tonight our meals were incredibly delicious.

Tonight we started our meals with Buffalo wings (medium) and asked that they be a bit on the crispy side. They came to our table exactly as ordered and were scrumptious. Very meaty wings with just the right amount of tangy sauce that had a little bit of heat to it. The minimum order of 10 wings served us well. We followed the wings with house salads. The lettuce and other ingredients were fresh, crisp, and very good. My wife had the Prime Rib for her entrée and I had the BBQ ribs. Portions were more than we could eat so we took some home for later. But the meals were so wonderful that we ate more than we should have before we left. In fact, we decided we were too full for dessert. I don't often have beer with my meal but tonight it sounded good to go with the wings so I had a tall draft. That really "hit the spot" and was served in a mug so cold that frost had enveloped it. Beer when I do have it must be very, very cold and this was excellent.

Our waitress Julie was very efficient, attentive, and eager to accommodate any and all special requests. The outdoors theme of the restaurant décor fit well with the informal atmosphere. Jake's is a great place for a couple or for a family. Sometimes at the dinner hour we have to wait about 20 minutes or so but tonight we timed it just right with no wait time. Jake's does use "call ahead seating" for those who want to be sure of being seated quickly during rush times. We enjoy eating at Jake's, will definitely be going back again and again, and recommend it to those who want very good food in a casual atmosphere.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Good steak and pleasant atmosphere and staff. There isn't a lot of places in Mount Vernon to go out to eat, but this is where I would bring my visiting friends for a good steak and pleasant meal.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have been to Jake's probably four times. The first time in 2008 was wonderful. Good food, great price. Then every time after that it went downhill. One time I found a hair in my sandwich. Another time the salad was old. I kept telling myself maybe they had a bad day. But after three bad visits, strike - you're out.

5  Thank Tina3772