“Good Eats”

Southside Diner
Ranked #2 of 77 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: American, Diner
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We stopped because of the # of positive reviews. Nostalgic & friendly. Many choices with generous portions. Deep Fried Green Beans recommended, not something I would have chosen, but glad we tried them...delicious! We enjoyed our meals. Definitely would come back if in area.

1  Thank Tejola

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Breakfast is very important to me...my favorite meal because it gets me off to a good start. It was exactly that. Good food and lots of it and reasonably priced. The wait staff was friendly and efficient and the entire thing moved at a very good pace. No waiting to be waited on. No waiting for the food. No waiting for refills and no waiting for the check. Yes...it is a place I will be visiting often after we move there.

1  Thank BEMJR
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a great place to eat. The service was great. You get a lot of food for the price. The food was wonderful. Neat old diner. They have a lot of things on display to look at from the old days of the diner.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

R & M's Southside Diner in Mount Vernon, Ohio offers a huge menu selection of delicious foods from homemade comfort foods to Greek and Mediterranean fare and breakfast is also served all day. Portions are good size and everything tasted delicious. They have excellent daily lunch specials (more than 8 per day) and priced very reasonably. I had the grilled chicken Gyro with their special Grecian sauce and it was mouth-watering! All food was made to order and came quickly to our table. We also had dessert, sundaes and pie. All cakes, pies (cream pies, fruit and meringue pies) are made in-house daily and super fresh!

The atmosphere takes you back to the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's as the restaurant is themed to include old vinyl records line the back room walls, movie posters, and oldies music is played in the background. In addition, a huge candy selection from days gone by was also a perfect end to the fine meal. It's not often that you find a jewel like this in a small town, but it is definitely a jewel and a local find! I highly recommend it!

1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I always loved coming to southside diner as a kid and still do as an adult. Made to order breakfast that are tasty and filling. They have lots of fresh seasonal pies and other baked goods available for purchase year round as well. Good price for some good food. I have always felt like this is a place that could be featured on diners, drive ins, and dives. A good small town local diner!