“My Experience at the RCH”

The Russell Cooper House
Ranked #2 of 3 Mount Vernon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have stayed at the Russell-Cooper House many times, and my granddaughter and I and my family and friends have stayed there as well. We love it! Tom, the host, is very accommodating--he is extremely knowledgeable about the area (and his breakfasts are yummy). And the house itself is fascinating.

The location is convenient for walking to historic downtown Mt.Vernon or to the rails-to-trails paths or for driving to the local colleges and area attractions.

I highly recommend the RCH for a pleasant getaway or for a comfortable home base while staying in Knox County.

Room Tip: Each room has its own theme, so pick the one which appeals to you.
Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennie R

Reviewed 6 December 2011

My family and I have stayed multiple times and have never been disappointed ... convenient location and clean, large rooms. Tom, the owner, is a great guy and a wonderful host. He'll go the "extra mile" to ensure your stay is enjoyable - even if he can't accomodate you at his property! Last time I was in town all the rooms were unfortunately booked but Tom referred me to one of his long-time friends in the area who will occasionally rent rooms in her house. I was somehat apprehensive but Tom assured me I would enjoy not only the accomodations but also his friend's hospitality. He was absolutely corrrect on both counts. Selfishly, it's now nice to have an alternative place to stay when The Russell Cooper House is sold out.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I booked a reservation 6 weeks in advance through Hotels.com. I recommend you call the inn directly to make a reservation because, when I called to confirm 5 days prior to my reservation, they informed me they had received my reservation but had failed to update the web, so had no room for me. Rather than contacting me or returning my money, they took it upon themselves to call around to find me a place. All good except the 'place' was a private home of a woman they'd never met and a home they'd never seen the inside of. I wasn't going to find out until my arrival, apparently. I cancelled the reservation when I heard this, got my money back, and found myself something else. I"m sure it's a lovely place (looks like it from the outside), but I don't trust them and won't make another attempt. I was very upset and was particularly struck by the fact that they didn't contact me and never apologized.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank RWA02138
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Working at nearby Kenyon College, I was looking for a local property that I could stay during selected days throughout the Winter 2011. The Russell-Cooper House was a perfect choice.

Location: The location is a few miles away from Kenyon College in Gambier, OH and centrally located on a residential street near quaint downtown Mt. Vernon, OH. Easily walkable to local attractions, restaurants, etc in the main town square.

Property: The property is wonderful. Each room (6 in total) is individually decorated and located on either the 2nd or 3rd floor. All of the rooms include a large amount of space, a private bathroom and often a desk, sitting area or additional twin bed. Perfect for not only business travelers, but also couples and those traveling with families. An additional plus is the free wi-fi that is also available to guests.

Property Owner: Having experience staying in numerous B&Bs throughout the U.S. and Canada, the property owner, Tom, is indeed one of the best . Tom is very proud of the property's heritage and very knowledge regarding local facts, places to visit and see while in Knox County. In addition, he has been more than accommodating in terms of scheduling, rates, and my individual needs while visiting the area.

The Russell-Cooper House a wonderful choice for both business and leisure travelers. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business