“Wonderful Inn”

Ranked #2 of 3 Mount Vernon B&B and Inns
Bagram, Afghanistan
“Wonderful Inn”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I grew up about four blocks from the Russell-Cooper House and had never set foot in it until this visit. I was in town to visit my father and didn't want to impose too much on him, so I opted to stay somewhere in town. The Russell-Cooper house is a very warm and welcoming place, and it is situated in a great location. There is plenty of what I would call safe parking on the street. The downstairs is full of historical items and other memorabilia. The bedrooms that I saw all looked pretty comfortable. The one in which I stayed more than met my needs. I would definitely stay here again. The breakfast in the morning was quite tasty. My girlfriend and I were very impressed with the whole package. Interestingly, the owner went to high school with my father, which I didn't find out until we talked during check-in.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MajDevo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I am not a b&b guy (I don't care for much conversation before noon) but my wife loves them. That being said, I enjoyed our stay at the Russell Cooper House. It was quaint and clean. Tom, the proprietor, made us welcome from the moment we arrived. The rooms are spacious and quiet - we had a full house but I didn't hear other guests in their rooms. Breakfast was good. My only quibble is that I would have liked more water pressure in the shower but that would not stop us from happily staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Fallser
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Was in Mount Vernon for a class reunion and was immensely impressed with the RCH. Wonderful rest in beautiful room. Incredible breakfast. Will definitely stay there again next year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 11 January 2012

There is a warm, cozy feeling as you enter the Russell-Cooper House which is nearly 190 years old. The rooms are large and comfortable each with their own private bath. There are many interesting antiques and the fire blazing in the living room makes it very homey. I have stayed at different times of the year but Christmastime is especially beautiful as each room has its own decorated tree. But then again, Spring flowers are also a pleasant sight in Ohio.

Tom, the owner, is knowledgeable about the area and the history of the home which includes Civil War stories. The breakfast is varied and always good and plentiful. The hot tub is also a plus. A great place to unwind for a weekend with friends and/or family.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Columbus
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have stayed at the Russell-Cooper House many times, and my granddaughter and I and my family and friends have stayed there as well. We love it! Tom, the host, is very accommodating--he is extremely knowledgeable about the area (and his breakfasts are yummy). And the house itself is fascinating.

The location is convenient for walking to historic downtown Mt.Vernon or to the rails-to-trails paths or for driving to the local colleges and area attractions.

I highly recommend the RCH for a pleasant getaway or for a comfortable home base while staying in Knox County.

Room Tip: Each room has its own theme, so pick the one which appeals to you.
Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennie R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 December 2011

My family and I have stayed multiple times and have never been disappointed ... convenient location and clean, large rooms. Tom, the owner, is a great guy and a wonderful host. He'll go the "extra mile" to ensure your stay is enjoyable - even if he can't accomodate you at his property! Last time I was in town all the rooms were unfortunately booked but Tom referred me to one of his long-time friends in the area who will occasionally rent rooms in her house. I was somehat apprehensive but Tom assured me I would enjoy not only the accomodations but also his friend's hospitality. He was absolutely corrrect on both counts. Selfishly, it's now nice to have an alternative place to stay when The Russell Cooper House is sold out.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I booked a reservation 6 weeks in advance through Hotels.com. I recommend you call the inn directly to make a reservation because, when I called to confirm 5 days prior to my reservation, they informed me they had received my reservation but had failed to update the web, so had no room for me. Rather than contacting me or returning my money, they took it upon themselves to call around to find me a place. All good except the 'place' was a private home of a woman they'd never met and a home they'd never seen the inside of. I wasn't going to find out until my arrival, apparently. I cancelled the reservation when I heard this, got my money back, and found myself something else. I"m sure it's a lovely place (looks like it from the outside), but I don't trust them and won't make another attempt. I was very upset and was particularly struck by the fact that they didn't contact me and never apologized.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Mount Vernon
White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast
White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Danville Knox County

Been to The Russell Cooper House? Share your experiences!