“Luxury did not make up for lack of customer service”

Cherry Ridge Retreat
Columbus
“Luxury did not make up for lack of customer service”
Reviewed 22 November 2009

This was my first trip to Hocking Hills. This location, is not what I thought. It is through a small town, and you are up the road from a busy road. We could view the office from our front door, not my idea of seclusion.
Upon arrival, we had a light bulb burned out, and the staff did not offer to fix it. Our fridge water dispenser was not working. We phoned the office, and were told to "drink the tap water!" We could not locate pans, and when we phoned, were greeted by an abrasive staff member who seemed "put out" by the fact that we phoned. Upon arrival you find a card in your cabin stating "we are here to serve you, please phone us if you have any questions." So....I did?

My fault, did not check departure time, and were running about 15 minutes late. I phoned desk to see if we could check out about 15 minutes late and were told "absolutely not. We do not do late departures, and our cleaning staff will be there at 11:00 sharp". I did not mind the fact that they were firm on the time, only the manner in which it was said. After this, I explained that I had wanted to come back, however due to his tone of his response, was not sure. Replied "if you want to come back that is fine, if not, that is fine too. " The staff is rude, and they do not like to be "bothered". I don't know about all of you, however if this is what "hospitality" has become I am disappointed.

Turned in keys to office, and was informed they would speak to owner and he would follow up with me. Never heard back. If you want service and relaxation, find another lodge/retreat in Hocking Hills.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank uabears1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Ohio
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Oak Ridge Cabin at Cherry Ridge Retreat was perfect for our twentieth anniversary trip to Hocking Hills. As you pull in the drive, you feel a sense of order and beauty. Everything from the roads and paths, to the cabin itself was well cared for and well designed. The place was almost unbelievably clean in every corner and very functional. Cooking was easy and fun. It's not far from the local caves and falls yet when you return to your cabin you can't see a soul. Therefore, it's soothingly quiet at all hours. The sheets and towels are luxurious as described and the beds were comfortable. Definitely recommended for a getaway!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wade8489
Boston, MA
Reviewed 15 December 2008

I'm a true lover of the outdoors, but I love being pampered, too. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when, during the course of a magical hour-long hike, I came across so many amenities to heighten my enjoyment of Cherry Ridge's gorgeous surroundings! From secluded picnic tables to pondside gazebos (not one, but two!), there were so many details to coax the happy hiker into a moment of comtemplative repose. After a brisk walk, I entered the stunning gazebo, walked through to the edge of the water, plopped down on the dock and dipped my toes in the cool water. It was such an enjoyable moment!

My cabin (aptly called "The Boathouse") sat right along the pond and had a delightful view of the water. It was clean and nicely appointed and my husband and I were SO COMFORTABLE! I only wish we could have stayed the whole week. Now that we've discovered this wonderful hideaway (which is very convenient to get to from Columbus), we'll be driving to our favorite getaway destination rather than flying. It's so nice to have something this great so close by.

• Liked — The pristine natural surroundings
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Northeast Ohio
Reviewed 12 May 2008

This was our third trip to Cherry Ridge. The first time we stayed at Cherry Ridge it was perfect. The second time was better and this time was special too. Our first stay was in the Whispering Pines cottage and on our second trip we stayed at Still Waters. This trip was to Oak Ridge and though it rained almost the entire time we were there it was perfect. Cherry Ridge expertly combines the serenity of the outdoors, the seclusion of your own private cottage and the luxury of a gormet kitchen, fine furnishing and a hot tub. If you're looking for an amazing couple of days in Hocking Hills check out Cherry Ridge - you'll be glad you did.

• Liked — Luxury in the wilderness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rgable
Akron, OH
Reviewed 6 January 2008

1/6/2008

I made reservations back in July 2007 for a 24th wedding anniversary. I first researched the hocking hills area online and we had never been there before. Its about a 4 hour drive from where we live. Since we have a small business its so hard for us to get away for some downtime ~ So I surprised my husband with the 4 day trip to Cherry Ridge.

I researched some about the hocking hills area, lodging, and other cabins and I was so impressed with Cherry Ridge's website and what it offered that I called them directly to also check it out. The staff was friendly, and helpful, so I made the final reservation. (We did not have the experience that the other reviewer did).

The area is beautiful and has a abundance of wildlife. We saw deer on our cottages property nearly every day, wild turkeys, bunnies, lots of birds, and we liked the fact that we could walk onsite over the propertys large acreage of trails.

We fished at the nearby pond, sat at the Gazebo daily and had lunch. We also had a night where we went down to the shared firepit and made smores and apple pies. It was just the two of us. We loved the hammock and I fell asleep in it while husband got the camera out for some kodak moments. Much to my surprise...

We sat early in the morning on our back porch at the "waters edge cottage" and listened to the wildlife, watched the birds eating from the nearby feeder while we drank our morning coffee. Its peaceful there. Cherry Ridge has just about every thing you can think of and then some. What I did not expect was the quietness, privacy from your neighbors, the satelite tv, satelite stereo, and how charming and clean the property was. We also enjoyed reading the Journals "stories" that were left behind by previous guests who stayed in the Waters Edge cottage.

We took late night and early morning dips in the spa. We had no mechanical issues with the spa. Being in the pool and spa industry I know first hand what can happen to spas. And yes, hot tubs can go down.

It is unfortunate but it does happen and there are alot of technical things that can cause them to go out too. I am sure Cherry Ridge did what they could to get it resolved.

And yes, it does state in their contract that they are not responsible for equipment malfunctions. (How can they be responsible for that ???) They did offer to re-imburse you something. Which they did not have to do.

We did venture off on one evening for a anniversary dinner at the Inn at Cedar Falls ~ that was recommended by the owners of Cherry Ridge. And it was enjoyable and very good. But, we couldnt wait to get back to Cherry Ridge.

Since the July visit we have returned to Cherry Ridge again back in Oct. 2007 (for a fall get away). Once again we had an enjoyable trip and once again we stayed in Waters Edge Cottage.

I cant wait until spring when we will return once again. We also hope to bring the mother in-law along. I cant recommend this place enough.

Amber & Eric
Akron, OH

• Liked — private
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank apoolrspa4u
Skaneateles
Reviewed 21 December 2007

Wow! We are in the business and we were wowed!

As a part of a 5 week road trip to a conference we were attending [that's right, FIVE weeks to get to a conference and back] one of our first stops was the Hocking Hills Region of Ohio. To be fair, we are in the lodging business and Cherry Ridge was a referral from an industry friend.

That said, we paid 'rack rate' [it's not cheap] but wow is it worth it. Actually a collection of about 5 individual cabins/cottages located on what must be a hundred acres. All is immaculately groomed, all are distinctly private. This is a place for couples. If you want privacy, you got it. Ours [each, I believe] had an outside hot tub and my wife [NOT an exhibitionalist] had no trouble joining me for a little late night au-natural wine and cheese.

Check out Cherry Ridge Retreat website and do NOT doubt the credibility of the the photos. Then go reserve.

• Liked — This kind of quality is hard to find
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Plymouth
#7 of 10 in Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
#2 of 10 in Athens

Been to Cherry Ridge Retreat? Share your experiences!