“Wonderful, cosy retreat & sanctuary, in the midst of natural beauty”
Review of Ravenwood Castle

and 1 more site!
Ravenwood Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 New Plymouth B&B and Inns
Middletown, Ohio
“Wonderful, cosy retreat & sanctuary, in the midst of natural beauty”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I spent a delightful last week of October in a Gypsy wagon. The living space was warm & inviting, the staff very welcoming. I could come and go and be as solitary or as social as I wanted to be. This was a great location for visiting the beautiful Hocking Hills trails and many nearby activities. Lots of choices of what to do, or if you like, what local crafts to shop for. Loved every minute of it!

Room Tip: If you mind walking out doors a few steps to the bathroom/shower, then choose one of the other cabin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ES C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I have made many trips to Hocking Hills, and enjoyed each one we have stayed at. When we visited Ravenwood Castle, for our anniversary, never have we experienced the ambiance, the atmosphere, like we did there. I can't say enough about this place, the grounds, the life size chess set, the staff, the pub, and especially the owners, Pam & Jim. They make you feel like family. This is the place to go to get away from, traffic, phones and internet service, and tv, just to feel like you are in another world, free of stress! The breakfast that is served daily, that comes with the price of whichever place you choose to stay, is spectacular, nothing you would expect from a motel. I feel if you can only go once, please do, you will not regret it. They have something for all, including families. Please check out their website for all the specials they put on.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paradise645
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at Ravenwood Castle very much. We stayed in room 107- Rapunzel Tower; the room was nice and clean; the bed was comfortable. However, it's always difficult for us to get use to a bed away from home. We also enjoyed the food, it was delicious. We made reservations for Friday evening dinner at the Castle, the meal was excellent. The chef even gave us some of the recipes. Most of all the Inn keepers were very accommodating. I would recommend this B&B to any couple that wants to have a romantic or relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: (1) Word of caution: If possible, avoid traveling to the Castle after dark. If you must arrive after...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gbaker008
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My husband booked the Cinderella Coach House for us from 10/6/13-10/9/13 as an early 50th birthday present. The castle is very nice, the only staff we dealt with was Jacob and he was very polite and helpful. As for the room, it is beautiful but I do have a few issues. The tv, while not the most important thing, is so small! My laptop monitor is bigger..we had to pull chairs up close to watch movies! It would also be nice if it had a balcony as the other rooms do-there is a "landing" at the top of the stairs but not enough room to put two chairs out. They do have a fireplace, but it was very hard to start so we gave up. Also, the shower is separate from the toilet and sink, basically it is in the middle of the room! I didn't care for that too much. The other issue was the menu. We were there from Sun-Wed so we missed the dinners they have on Friday and Saturday nights. The only food we could get was from the pub and your choices are limited to a hot dog/burger/grilled cheese and soup. I think that since everything is at least a half hour away from the castle, there should be more food options available. However the overall experience was very nice, its so secluded and quiet, perfect for a stress-free vacation. With a few minor improvements it could be exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband & I were traveling to the Hocking Hills area & the Smoky Mountains for our 5th Anniversary/Babymoon. We booked a cabin in the mountains in TN, and booked another cabin in Ohio...but it was only available 2 of the 3 nights we wanted. SO, in researching other places to stay...I stumbled upon Ravenwood Castle online. I thought it would be so cool to stay in a castle. But, since you needed a 2 night stay on a weekend, and we really only needed one night, that was out of our budget. So, we chose a gypsy wagon to stay in (basically like camping). We love unique experiences, so we were all pumped for this. We had to work on the day we were leaving, so we knew we wouldn't arrive until midnight or so. Not a problem, we'd arrive and hit the hay!

Well, it WAS a problem. We were locked out of the castle. We knew it would be locked, since we were coming in so late. We were told to either ring the doorbell OR look for an envelope outside with our key in it. We rang the doorbell for an hour and a half, with NO answer at the castle door. We walked around the castle looking for anything, but didn't want to wake up other guests. Our cell phone had no signal. SO, we gave up and slept in our van. We kept on saying that they should have just left the key on the table outside. We also had no access to a bathroom until the castle was unlocked in the morning...which made it very hard for this pregnant woman to sleep at all! :( They did take off one night for us, which was only fair, since we slept in our van.

In the morning, we went in the castle. It is beautiful inside, and the breakfast was delicious! There was a wide variety of fresh fruit, cereal, homemade granola, muffins, a casserole of some type, and juice. On Sunday morning, there were DELICIOUS homemade cinnamon rolls! Breakfast was our favorite part of our stay here.

They also have a selection of games to borrow, which came in handy on our first day which was quite rainy.

Once we got in our YELLOW gypsy wagon, we were pleased. Like we thought, it would basically be like camping (we brought an air mattress and sleeping bags). It definitely worked for our second/last night there. What we didn't like was our private bathroom. We had to walk there and bring a key (which was fine...again, it's like camping). But, there were so many bugs in the bathroom...I didn't want to put anything down. The water also had a horrible smell, and there was mold on the walls. I saw this in another review, but assumed it had been taken care of. Not so much...

I'm sure the castle rooms are very nice, and I wish we could have/would have stayed there. Then I think our review would be different. I wouldn't stay in the gypsy wagon again.

My one suggestion for travelers arriving after 10 pm, MAKE SURE THEY LEAVE YOUR KEY OUTSIDE...if they say the castle door will be locked!

Also, to note...we are not those people that complain about every little thing when traveling. We are go with the flow type people, so we hate writing a NOT SO GREAT review, but we felt we had to here.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in the Gypsy Wagons, but would recommend staying INSIDE the castle! They are pr...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lisalynnew
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your review. We strive to provide all of our guests the best possible experience, and I apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

As we discussed in email, late check ins such as your 1:30 AM arrival do unfortunately present a challenge for us as we are not a traditional hotel and do not have a check in desk that is manned 24x7. The former owners of the property used to use an envelope system such as you describe. That system presents a variety of problems, including one of guest safety as the key to both the castle and your specific room would be left unattended. We implemented a mobile doorbell system last summer, and have used it without issue ever since. I'm not sure why the system broke down this time, but whether it was a human or technical error, the fact is it was an error and should not have happened. I apologize again, and would like to clarify that we not only didn't charge you for the night you arrived (of course!), we also discounted the remainder of your stay by 50% as apology for the inconvenience caused by our error.

I do wish you had mentioned something to us about your private bath house while you were on site so it could have been investigated and addressed immediately. The Gypsy Wagon baths are indeed "camping style" shower houses to go along with the camping experience provided by the wagons, but we take their cleanliness very seriously as evidenced by the many happy campers (literally!) who stay in the wagons every season.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 15 September 2013

If you're looking for a place to leave the stress of everyday life behind, to forget all about your cell phone and emails, to just be social and be in the moment....Ravenwood is the place to do it! From the moment we pulled up the drive and walked into the castle, we knew we'd made a great decision to come. The staff and property manager were warm and welcoming at check-in, and we just loved the vibe of the castle. Our room - the Duke's Dungeon - was above and beyond what we were expecting. For being the "dungeon" room, it was still so cozy and comfortable. It WAS chilly though, so I would recommend at least some sweatpants and sweaters to make sure you're comfortable. There is a fireplace, which we didn't use but probably should've tried! The bed is amazingly big and comfortable, and sleeping was fantastic. No noise, nice and dark...wonderful. Our room had no TV and no clocks (which I think is true of most rooms?), so it was just a great escape from normalcy and being ruled by what time it is and what technology we have to pay attention to. The bathroom was very nice and modern, with plenty of hot water for all. My favorite discovery about Ravenwood is that they use water treatment systems that keep out the well water smell that is very common in Southern Ohio locations. Wonderful! The staff is great, and the property manager Steve was everything you could ask for - he was extremely helpful and caring, knows more board games than anyone I've ever met, was very knowledgeable about the castle's beer offerings, knows all you could want to know about the castle, and has a way about him that brings the guests together to make new friends and learn new games He was great to talk with and made us feel right at home. Let's talk food - we highly recommend adding on the dinner in the dining hall! It's worth every penny. We added it on for 1 of the 2 nights we were there, and wish we would've done it both nights! Our menu that night was appetizers of cheese, fruit, rolls, salad, and pasta salad, a main course of venison meatloaf, pineapple ham, carrots, and mashed potatoes, and dessert of cookies and carrot cake. Everything was delicious, and we ate so much we could barely move! The second night we had an early meal in the pub - I had beer cheese soup and my husband had a hamburger - and later on ended up ordering pizza. It was good, but hard to compare to the fabulous feast the night before! The beer selection was very broad, and goes beyond the ordinary beers. My husband enjoys trying new beers and was very impressed with the offerings. He found new favorites thanks to Ravenwood! It was great to just relax in the pub with other guests and have some drinks, all while learning new games. We learned 5 or 6 new games, all thanks to Steve! Definitely make sure to ask for Incan Gold! Many of the games are for sale in the main office, and we took one home with us. My favorite recommendation to anyone who visits is to make sure you go outside to check out the stars! We had one clear night that we could see the Milky Way - not something you can do in Cleveland where we're from. I even saw a shooting star! Make sure you dress properly for being outside and/or wear lots of bug spray, as I made the mistake of leaving my lower legs and feet exposed and ended up with almost 20 mosquito bites from sitting outside for less than an hour. All in all, what a great time. We'll definitely be back to try some of the other rooms, and will be sure to bring some friends to join us. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StewbieDewbieDoo
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at Ravenwood Castle as part of our first "real" vacation in over eight years. I found out about it by searching online for accommodations in the Hocking Hills area, and we are SO happy that we decided to take a chance on staying here. It was an absolutely lovely, relaxing and very unique experience. We stayed in the "Spinster Cottage," which we found to be very comfortable, well-maintained, and adorably decorated. The whirlpool tub was a wonderful amenity that we particularly enjoyed. The cottage had a kitchenette and was stocked with cups, dishes, silverware, etc. (all very handy!), far more well-stocked than I have experienced in other rental accommodations with kitchenettes. In general, the cottage was just lovely -- private, quiet, and very relaxing.

As much as we loved the cottage, castle, and castle grounds, the best part of our stay was the food and the friendliness of the staff. The staff were unbelievably welcoming and attentive; their warmth and helpfulness are one of the biggest things that I think of when we remember our stay. The food was SUPER delicious, and that is really saying something since I am an incredibly picky eater! I am also vegetarian, and the staff went out of their way to accommodate my dietary needs, preparing food especially for me and doing so without acting like it was at all a big deal. Truly, I cannot speak highly enough of the kindness of the staff here and how much they seemed willing to go above and beyond to create a good experience for us. We will absolutely be returning for another visit in the future, and I am looking forward to it with great anticipation!!

The only concern that I would mention is something that other reviewers have also noted: getting up the hill to the castle is a bit rough. It felt like a bit of off-road driving in our mid-sized car. I could see it being very challenging in inclement weather or in a vehicle not cut out for unpaved roads.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Athens
#2 of 10 in Athens
Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens
Baymont Inn & Suites Athens

Been to Ravenwood Castle? Share your experiences!