“Fun site, Great Service!”
Review of Ravenwood Castle

and 1 more site!
Ravenwood Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 New Plymouth B&B and Inns
Worthington, Ohio
“Fun site, Great Service!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was impressed with the service before we even arrived. I had misplaced the gift certificates we had planned to use for our stay. After an exhausting 3am search of the house I decided I would try my luck with calling in the morning. I called and spoke with Deana, she took my information, and within 20 minutes she was calling me back staying that they had been able to trace the purchase of the gift certificates, and that they had been applied to our bill! Such a relief.
I brought my daughter and two of her friends as a 13th birthday trip. Travelling with 3 13yro olds, the lack of cell coverage made me nervous, would they in fact die without their phones? We got there in a rainstorm, so we got the tour of the castle and hung out in the library for a bit. It was like an instant and wonderful change in the girls. They were in and out of the castle several times that night swapping out new board games to play. It was wonderful not having to get their attention from their phones to ask them anything. It was like a trip to a more simple time. They also had an epic checker match on the outdoor cheeseboard (Yes! There are checker pieces too!)
We stayed in the Spinster cottage, which was wonderful. The girls took the upstairs and I slept on the surprisingly comfortable futon in the living area. I did try to steal the bed upstairs, the sheets were like heaven. My only suggestion, maybe in the closet with the extra pillows and blankets, a set of sheets for the futon.
Hint - watch for the cats in the morning as you're packing up to leave, they seem to understand they stand a higher chance of getting food from guests. The orange boy, and the Calico got me for quite a bit of our turkey ;-)
The grounds are lit up nicely at night, even with a slight rain we enjoyed our time outside the castle.
Very happy with our stay and the accommodations. My daughter is interested in going back for a Harry Potter themed event in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tcoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 12 July 2014

What a wonderful time at the Castle. The new owner Jim was a gracious host and has a great management style. All the members of the staff were just as laid back and relaxed as their boss. They trully made us feel like family while we were there.

We were in the Rapunzel Room. It was beautiful it was simple and great romantic time for my wife and I. They served breakfast for is the following morning and let me tell you it was unbelievable.

Overall:

PROS: Great Staff Amazing style! Authentic Great food NO TV's and Cell Phone service (adds to the charm and keeps it simple and makes you "unPlug") Staff was helpful and more than willing to make the stay better. Great romantic getaway for my wife and I. Remotely located

CONS: Nature Trails are limited (The new owner is working to add to them) They only had a limited menu for dinner on Sunday The road up to the castle was a bit rough. GREAT place i'd highly recommend this place and plan to visit again.

Room Tip: If your traveling on the weekend or off time please make sure you bring water/drinks. There is no TV...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Clementon, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had to write a review after reading a basically negative review. This was my second stay at Ravenswood. Two different owners. The first visit we stayed in one of the Gypsy wagons. A unique place to stay and great for families. We were greeted promptly but then the person disappeared for the rest of our stay. This second visit was different. We were greeted promptly but the owners and staff were available the entire weekend. We got to see parts of the castle we did not know existed on our first visit. We were there for the Midsummer festival and enjoyed ourselves. My grandson was probably one of the unruly children. My apologies. We stayed in the Queen Victoria room which was more than big enough for our needs. In contrast to one review, we found the air conditioning to be too cold but evened out the temperature with the fireplace. Even though the room was off the Great Hall we still had enough quiet and privacy. My only complaint is the evening meal service. However,we found that the pub has good food available. Even though we are a distance away (New Jersey), we are looking forward to another visit and tell everyone what a great place Ravenswood is to visit.

Room Tip: Any room three unique choices.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth P
Buena Park, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We drove up the gravel road to the castle. When we spotted the exterior, we were very excited. The exteriors of the buildings are very attractive. The staff was very welcoming when we arrived. We stayed in one of the detached cottages, the Spinster. Unfortunately, the interior of the cottage is in need of a little care, with signs of wear (for instance, cracked knobs on the jacuzzi, a crooked cupboard door) and a bit of a musty smell in the afternoon heat. There is also no internet and very spotty cell reception, which we knew when we booked our room (for some vacationers, this might be a plus).

On the other hand, we enjoyed the use of the jacuzzi tub, as well as the DVD player. Ravenwood maintains a library of DVDs and books and games that can be borrowed freely during your stay. We were able to find suitable books for ourselves and our six-year-old daughter, as well as a Care Bears movie for her. We also played the giant outdoor chess set.

Our room had a bed and a futon. The 4 poster bed in the loft was especially comfortable, and we slept well. There is a tasty complimentary breakfast that included coffee, milk, orange juice, fruit, cereal, muffins, and a hot item. When we stayed, it was berry French toast one day and sausage baked in pancakes the next day. We also opted for the dinners at $25 per adult and $13 for kids. The dinner is a fixed menu. The first night was glazed pork stuffed with mushrooms, with a salad, a roll, and fresh fruit, meatballs, pasta baked with cheese, a tomato cheese risotto, grilled veggies, and dessert choices of either a brownie with raspberry sauce, or peach cobbler. The second night again began with fruit, a green salad, and a roll, and also featured potato salad, barbecue pork ribs, grilled or Thai spice chicken, meatballs, grilled veggies, and either a brownie with caramel sauce, or cheesecake with optional raspberry sauce. Ravenwood also has a tavern with a large selection of beers and some wines, all at reasonable prices. The food and beers were all quite tasty and I recommend opting for the dinner.

If you are not picky about the upkeep of the room, you will probably enjoy your stay. It is also possible that the castle rooms are better maintained.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Matthew J
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I had booked a cozy cabin near Hocking Hills state park, but had to cancel and book at Ravenwood once I found it. A replica of a medieval castle, it is in a beautiful woodland setting. Not only are there castle rooms, but a plethora of other choices from fanciful cabins to "gypsy caravans." We brought grandparents and small children (5 and 8).

The decor and amenities were very nice. The breakfasts were simple but hearty (quiche or baked French toast with fruit, cereal, etc.) Beds were comfortable and everything was very clean. Dinners are offered on Friday and Saturday evenings- which we missed- but judging from the breakfasts and the "tavern food" available at other times, I am sure it is very good.

It is really designed for couples, but they were accommodating of our children by bringing in 2 twin blow up mattresses. There was a large-scale chess board on the law a, tons of games to borrow, and roaming kitties which kept my kids entertained.

The 'accessible' cabins are good for those with limited mobility (except they just installed jacuzzi tubs that are nearly impossible for older folks to use.)

I would definitely return. If they want to cater only to couples, they could go that way. But with a little more effort, it could be a really awesome place for families (a swing? A croquet set? Children's DVD's?)

Also, kitchens could use plates, utensils, clocks, etc. all These could be acquired by a trip to a Goodwill.

We really appreciated their attn (the Day Manager cooked our dinners), and hope this establishment does well for a long time!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank KCRidihalgh
Suffield, Oh
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was torn when giving my overall rating as in terms of castle like properties, this one is phenomenal as it is an actual castle (4), not just a front. Our room (Shakespeare) was large as was our bath with beautiful, authentic furniture and accessories. The main dining area was also regal. Now for the not so great (3): apparently the air conditioning that serves our room was broken, so as we entered our "authentic" castle room, a window air conditioner was blasting cooling our room for which we were grateful, but it was a real distraction from the theme. In addition, because of the air conditioner, our shutters on our first floor room would not close, and there was no sheer or curtain of any kind so anyone walking by on the walk outside our room, could look right in greatly reducing our privacy. Backing up to our arrival, we directed ourselves to the check in area/room where a gentleman was placing an order on a computer...he asked us to wait while he finished. He was dressed very unprofessionally and his demeanor followed his attire. (Really, would a polo with a Ravenwood logo on it have been too much to ask?) He gave us our keys and walked us to our room after telling us what time breakfast was served. He offered no other information about the castle or room. He did ask where we planned to dine as the pub was not serving (note on the website it stated that they served until 7:30 on Sundays--it stated that on the menus in the pub as well) so we were stuck going to a pizza "joint" in town unless we wanted to drive another 40 minutes to Athens. He definitely did not add to the "authentic" castle experience and ambience as his welcome was not very welcoming.

Our breakfast the next morning was self serve as was coffee, etc. It was good and adequate, but nothing special: quiche, fruit, muffins and cold cereal. Tables were not set; you grabbed your silverware with your food and beverages and set your own place. We have stayed in many bed and breakfasts, and this was just a notch above the continental you normally get at a hotel like a Best Western; it was not a typical bed and breakfast meal. The woman preparing and serving the food in a less than stellar kitchen also checked us out from the same cluttered, unappealing room and desk that we checked in. She, too, was dressed very casually/unprofessionally-again, a logoed shirt would have been appropriate even for cooking. In other theme inns we have stayed, the personnel is dressed in accord with the theme which makes it a totally immersed experience for the guests.

In addition, the amenities in the bathroom were mediocre at best with drug store Pantene shampoo and conditioner and tiny bars of soap; no lotion or bath gel. Typically, in a b&b at this level, we receive "name brand" amenities, and in some cases, they are even branded with inn's name. Linens, towels, pillows and bedding were very nice, although, I found a pierced earring "stuck" to a bath towel, obviously, from a prior guest.

The little notes left in our room regarding the fireplace and the bath towels were also unprofessional....these needed to be laminated/framed rather than wilted pieces of paper propped up wherever. We also needed a notebook/directory of things to do in the area and restaurants that are available with maps and directions as cell service was sketchy and there was no internet. Also note, there is only one tv in the pub...none in the rooms. We were unaware of any of this; if it is one the website, it is not readily found. A history of the castle would have been nice as well. There were brochures in the office, but they were for a very far reaching area, not just the immediate.

Bottom line, this was more of a hotel than a b&b as there was little interaction with the single staff member we saw at two different times. We did not feel very regal during our castle stay. It was very quiet and peaceful and did provide a total retreat from the world at large.

One other note, the inn is promoting itself as family friendly, which it is, but we think the ambience would be improved by restricting reservations to adults and older. well-behaved children. Many small children running around unsupervised do not add to the romance of the inn.

Also, the landscaping really was in need of some work; the ornamental garden was in serious need of trimming; only remotely like the photo on the website.

Room Tip: The Shakespeare room is on the first floor right at the top of the stairs leading to the pub and lib...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the castle, and overall enjoyed your stay with us. In addition to thanking you for your stay, I did want to take a moment to address a few items that you raised.

I apologize that the main air conditioning unit was broken during your stay. I realize the window unit that was temporarily in use was not ideal. Unfortunately we had a two day wait for parts to repair the main unit, and given the recent heat felt it best to provide air conditioning in whatever form we could.

You mention several times the "authentic" castle experience. At Ravenwood we strive to provide our guests with a unique experience, whether that experience involve one of our murder mystery weekends, a board game convention, a beer or wine tasting, or one of our themed family weekends. We don't actually attempt to convey an authentic castle experience however - with the exception of a few of our medieval themed events of course!

This also explains why our staff does not dress in costume or uniform. Our overall goal is to provide an atmosphere of comfort and even familiarity. One of the best compliments we receive from our guests is that they feel as if they are "coming home" when they visit us.

Finally, I would like to clarify our policy on children. We are absolutely a family friendly establishment, and encourage families to bring children. Of course all guests in attendance - children and adults alike! - are expected to be well behaved. That being said, we don't actually have many children in attendance on a regular basis. I would imagine you saw a few more than usual during your stay, as we had events the last two weekends tailored towards families.

Thanks again for staying with us at Ravenwood Castle, and for taking the time to leave your feedback.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I have rented out Ravenwood twice for a massive birthday party for myself, and every aspect of the experience has been great. The communication has been excellent both on and off site, the staff extremely friendly and responsive, the accommodations as described and well-maintained, and the food wonderful. Although it's couple states away from me, I I look forward to making it back there on a regular basis, both for a couples getaway and for big get-togethers. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens
Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens

Been to Ravenwood Castle? Share your experiences!