“Great place for a short get away!”
Review of Ravenwood Castle

Ravenwood Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 New Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ravenwood Castle for two nights, to celebrate our three year wedding anniversary. The castle and the grounds are nicely kept. We also liked that the castle is somewhat isolated from everything else. It was very quiet, and relaxing. Breakfast was tasty, and our room was cozy. We were happy with our choice to stay here, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to get away for a couple of days.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I decided to hold a small wedding at the Ravenswood castle this past week, and I have to tell you, it was the best decision we could have ever made! We were planning for a large 100+ person affair next April but decided about TWO weeks ago to scrap the idea and go with an intimate celebration with our closest family and friends instead. I called the Ravenswood (where my parents had honeymooned years before) and they were absolutely amazing in dealing with our time frame and our budget.
The grounds are beautiful and the castle is so pretty, you do not have to worry about spending hundreds of dollars on decorations. I stayed in the Merchant's Cottage both the night before my wedding and with my new husband for our wedding night. Breakfast was great, the pub was quaint and well priced, and everything felt tailored to my event. The family came and helped me dress, and I met my father at the entrance for our walk down the aisle.
Honestly I am eternally grateful to the staff, and for the fact that we opted for this route to the alter. Getting married while being surrounded by the Hocking Hills was a wonderful experience. It is peaceful and lovely. While the castle is done up in mid-evil flair, it is not too tacky nor extreme that I felt as though I was having a 'Renaissance wedding'.
Even if a wedding is not in your future, I would recommend the Ravenswood for a romantic weekend away, or for a great alternative to the family vacation-- I know the children at our wedding had a great time playing with the life-sized chess board!
I personally cannot wait to spend anniversary 1-99 with the Ravenswood staff!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Ravenwood for your special day, and thank you for taking the time to leave us such a nice review! I'm glad we were able to be a part of your big day, and to do our part to help make it a wonderful experience.

Congratulations again on your wedding, and we look forward to seeing you again and helping you celebrate your anniversaries!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was impressed with the service before we even arrived. I had misplaced the gift certificates we had planned to use for our stay. After an exhausting 3am search of the house I decided I would try my luck with calling in the morning. I called and spoke with Deana, she took my information, and within 20 minutes she was calling me back staying that they had been able to trace the purchase of the gift certificates, and that they had been applied to our bill! Such a relief.
I brought my daughter and two of her friends as a 13th birthday trip. Travelling with 3 13yro olds, the lack of cell coverage made me nervous, would they in fact die without their phones? We got there in a rainstorm, so we got the tour of the castle and hung out in the library for a bit. It was like an instant and wonderful change in the girls. They were in and out of the castle several times that night swapping out new board games to play. It was wonderful not having to get their attention from their phones to ask them anything. It was like a trip to a more simple time. They also had an epic checker match on the outdoor cheeseboard (Yes! There are checker pieces too!)
We stayed in the Spinster cottage, which was wonderful. The girls took the upstairs and I slept on the surprisingly comfortable futon in the living area. I did try to steal the bed upstairs, the sheets were like heaven. My only suggestion, maybe in the closet with the extra pillows and blankets, a set of sheets for the futon.
Hint - watch for the cats in the morning as you're packing up to leave, they seem to understand they stand a higher chance of getting food from guests. The orange boy, and the Calico got me for quite a bit of our turkey ;-)
The grounds are lit up nicely at night, even with a slight rain we enjoyed our time outside the castle.
Very happy with our stay and the accommodations. My daughter is interested in going back for a Harry Potter themed event in the future!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tcoy
Reviewed 12 July 2014

What a wonderful time at the Castle. The new owner Jim was a gracious host and has a great management style. All the members of the staff were just as laid back and relaxed as their boss. They trully made us feel like family while we were there.

We were in the Rapunzel Room. It was beautiful it was simple and great romantic time for my wife and I. They served breakfast for is the following morning and let me tell you it was unbelievable.

Overall:

PROS: Great Staff Amazing style! Authentic Great food NO TV's and Cell Phone service (adds to the charm and keeps it simple and makes you "unPlug") Staff was helpful and more than willing to make the stay better. Great romantic getaway for my wife and I. Remotely located

CONS: Nature Trails are limited (The new owner is working to add to them) They only had a limited menu for dinner on Sunday The road up to the castle was a bit rough. GREAT place i'd highly recommend this place and plan to visit again.

Room Tip: If your traveling on the weekend or off time please make sure you bring water/drinks. There is no TV...
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had to write a review after reading a basically negative review. This was my second stay at Ravenswood. Two different owners. The first visit we stayed in one of the Gypsy wagons. A unique place to stay and great for families. We were greeted promptly but then the person disappeared for the rest of our stay. This second visit was different. We were greeted promptly but the owners and staff were available the entire weekend. We got to see parts of the castle we did not know existed on our first visit. We were there for the Midsummer festival and enjoyed ourselves. My grandson was probably one of the unruly children. My apologies. We stayed in the Queen Victoria room which was more than big enough for our needs. In contrast to one review, we found the air conditioning to be too cold but evened out the temperature with the fireplace. Even though the room was off the Great Hall we still had enough quiet and privacy. My only complaint is the evening meal service. However,we found that the pub has good food available. Even though we are a distance away (New Jersey), we are looking forward to another visit and tell everyone what a great place Ravenswood is to visit.

Room Tip: Any room three unique choices.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We drove up the gravel road to the castle. When we spotted the exterior, we were very excited. The exteriors of the buildings are very attractive. The staff was very welcoming when we arrived. We stayed in one of the detached cottages, the Spinster. Unfortunately, the interior of the cottage is in need of a little care, with signs of wear (for instance, cracked knobs on the jacuzzi, a crooked cupboard door) and a bit of a musty smell in the afternoon heat. There is also no internet and very spotty cell reception, which we knew when we booked our room (for some vacationers, this might be a plus).

On the other hand, we enjoyed the use of the jacuzzi tub, as well as the DVD player. Ravenwood maintains a library of DVDs and books and games that can be borrowed freely during your stay. We were able to find suitable books for ourselves and our six-year-old daughter, as well as a Care Bears movie for her. We also played the giant outdoor chess set.

Our room had a bed and a futon. The 4 poster bed in the loft was especially comfortable, and we slept well. There is a tasty complimentary breakfast that included coffee, milk, orange juice, fruit, cereal, muffins, and a hot item. When we stayed, it was berry French toast one day and sausage baked in pancakes the next day. We also opted for the dinners at $25 per adult and $13 for kids. The dinner is a fixed menu. The first night was glazed pork stuffed with mushrooms, with a salad, a roll, and fresh fruit, meatballs, pasta baked with cheese, a tomato cheese risotto, grilled veggies, and dessert choices of either a brownie with raspberry sauce, or peach cobbler. The second night again began with fruit, a green salad, and a roll, and also featured potato salad, barbecue pork ribs, grilled or Thai spice chicken, meatballs, grilled veggies, and either a brownie with caramel sauce, or cheesecake with optional raspberry sauce. Ravenwood also has a tavern with a large selection of beers and some wines, all at reasonable prices. The food and beers were all quite tasty and I recommend opting for the dinner.

If you are not picky about the upkeep of the room, you will probably enjoy your stay. It is also possible that the castle rooms are better maintained.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Matthew J
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I had booked a cozy cabin near Hocking Hills state park, but had to cancel and book at Ravenwood once I found it. A replica of a medieval castle, it is in a beautiful woodland setting. Not only are there castle rooms, but a plethora of other choices from fanciful cabins to "gypsy caravans." We brought grandparents and small children (5 and 8).

The decor and amenities were very nice. The breakfasts were simple but hearty (quiche or baked French toast with fruit, cereal, etc.) Beds were comfortable and everything was very clean. Dinners are offered on Friday and Saturday evenings- which we missed- but judging from the breakfasts and the "tavern food" available at other times, I am sure it is very good.

It is really designed for couples, but they were accommodating of our children by bringing in 2 twin blow up mattresses. There was a large-scale chess board on the law a, tons of games to borrow, and roaming kitties which kept my kids entertained.

The 'accessible' cabins are good for those with limited mobility (except they just installed jacuzzi tubs that are nearly impossible for older folks to use.)

I would definitely return. If they want to cater only to couples, they could go that way. But with a little more effort, it could be a really awesome place for families (a swing? A croquet set? Children's DVD's?)

Also, kitchens could use plates, utensils, clocks, etc. all These could be acquired by a trip to a Goodwill.

We really appreciated their attn (the Day Manager cooked our dinners), and hope this establishment does well for a long time!

Stayed: July 2014
#7 of 10 in Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
Hampton Inn Athens
#2 of 10 in Athens

Been to Ravenwood Castle? Share your experiences!