All reviewsmurder mysteryking arthurcasserolehocking hillsclock towerchess setcinnamon rollscoach housefun place to hangplaying gamesmedieval timescell phone servicesmall tvthemed roomsgreat weekendlots of board gamesfresh fruit
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We discovered Ravenwood a couple of years ago, when they were holding Hoop & Stick, which benefits Child's Play, a wonderful charity that provides games to hospitalized children around the country. Our family of four has been back, in some configuration, five or six times for various other events, most recently Con in the Castle this past weekend. It was great fun.

We go back because of the wonderful owners and staff, who are so welcoming and build relationships rather than just act as service providers. Our kids play together on the beautiful grounds. My son is encouraged to run games for other children now that he is a teen. It's safe and beautiful. The rooms are clean and well-maintained.

Some people complain of the lack of cell/Internet. I find this a feature rather than a bug, but it is something to keep in mind. If someone has to have ability to get in touch, provide the castle landline, because there is no guarantee of anything else getting through. I rather like that part of the experience, along with just how *quiet* it is. Especially when we visited in winter for Hoop and Stick, I was struck by the sheer silence. As a suburban girl, I'm not used to that, and it was incredible.

There is a fantastic gaming library, so it's great for geeks who want to try out something new. Also many books and some movies in the library if you just need a break from people.

The pub is busy, busy on gaming weekends, with people at every table, enjoying beverages, conversation and, of course games. The staff is great about recommending and teaching new stuff. We've purchased more than one game after playing it at the castle.

Room Tip: It's worth weighing what kind of stay you want. There are rooms right in the castle, several really fantastic cottages and Huntsman's Hollow. They vary on whether there are DVD players/TVs, etc., so if these are vital to your experience, definitely check! And if you want DVDs, probably wise to bring some of your own. There is not cable access, and while there is a DVD library, it is relatively limited. Also, it's wise to think about the time of year and whether you want to take a hike. We stayed in Huntsman's Hollow for our past visit, and it's nice, but it is a hike, so with the rainy weather, we ended up driving to the castle both days. I wouldn't want to do it in winter, honestly. The cottages are close enough we never had a problem with that, even in bad weather, though. I did need to abandon my heels for one event that I was doing in costume just because it was snowy/icy. But the walks are well-maintained. I'm just a klutz, though, and I didn't want to fall on my tuckus or sprain an ankle.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Magentamom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ravenwood Castle for two nights, to celebrate our three year wedding anniversary. The castle and the grounds are nicely kept. We also liked that the castle is somewhat isolated from everything else. It was very quiet, and relaxing. Breakfast was tasty, and our room was cozy. We were happy with our choice to stay here, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to get away for a couple of days.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I decided to hold a small wedding at the Ravenswood castle this past week, and I have to tell you, it was the best decision we could have ever made! We were planning for a large 100+ person affair next April but decided about TWO weeks ago to scrap the idea and go with an intimate celebration with our closest family and friends instead. I called the Ravenswood (where my parents had honeymooned years before) and they were absolutely amazing in dealing with our time frame and our budget.
The grounds are beautiful and the castle is so pretty, you do not have to worry about spending hundreds of dollars on decorations. I stayed in the Merchant's Cottage both the night before my wedding and with my new husband for our wedding night. Breakfast was great, the pub was quaint and well priced, and everything felt tailored to my event. The family came and helped me dress, and I met my father at the entrance for our walk down the aisle.
Honestly I am eternally grateful to the staff, and for the fact that we opted for this route to the alter. Getting married while being surrounded by the Hocking Hills was a wonderful experience. It is peaceful and lovely. While the castle is done up in mid-evil flair, it is not too tacky nor extreme that I felt as though I was having a 'Renaissance wedding'.
Even if a wedding is not in your future, I would recommend the Ravenswood for a romantic weekend away, or for a great alternative to the family vacation-- I know the children at our wedding had a great time playing with the life-sized chess board!
I personally cannot wait to spend anniversary 1-99 with the Ravenswood staff!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Ravenwood for your special day, and thank you for taking the time to leave us such a nice review! I'm glad we were able to be a part of your big day, and to do our part to help make it a wonderful experience.

Congratulations again on your wedding, and we look forward to seeing you again and helping you celebrate your anniversaries!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was impressed with the service before we even arrived. I had misplaced the gift certificates we had planned to use for our stay. After an exhausting 3am search of the house I decided I would try my luck with calling in the morning. I called and spoke with Deana, she took my information, and within 20 minutes she was calling me back staying that they had been able to trace the purchase of the gift certificates, and that they had been applied to our bill! Such a relief.
I brought my daughter and two of her friends as a 13th birthday trip. Travelling with 3 13yro olds, the lack of cell coverage made me nervous, would they in fact die without their phones? We got there in a rainstorm, so we got the tour of the castle and hung out in the library for a bit. It was like an instant and wonderful change in the girls. They were in and out of the castle several times that night swapping out new board games to play. It was wonderful not having to get their attention from their phones to ask them anything. It was like a trip to a more simple time. They also had an epic checker match on the outdoor cheeseboard (Yes! There are checker pieces too!)
We stayed in the Spinster cottage, which was wonderful. The girls took the upstairs and I slept on the surprisingly comfortable futon in the living area. I did try to steal the bed upstairs, the sheets were like heaven. My only suggestion, maybe in the closet with the extra pillows and blankets, a set of sheets for the futon.
Hint - watch for the cats in the morning as you're packing up to leave, they seem to understand they stand a higher chance of getting food from guests. The orange boy, and the Calico got me for quite a bit of our turkey ;-)
The grounds are lit up nicely at night, even with a slight rain we enjoyed our time outside the castle.
Very happy with our stay and the accommodations. My daughter is interested in going back for a Harry Potter themed event in the future!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tcoy
Reviewed 12 July 2014

What a wonderful time at the Castle. The new owner Jim was a gracious host and has a great management style. All the members of the staff were just as laid back and relaxed as their boss. They trully made us feel like family while we were there.

We were in the Rapunzel Room. It was beautiful it was simple and great romantic time for my wife and I. They served breakfast for is the following morning and let me tell you it was unbelievable.

Overall:

PROS: Great Staff Amazing style! Authentic Great food NO TV's and Cell Phone service (adds to the charm and keeps it simple and makes you "unPlug") Staff was helpful and more than willing to make the stay better. Great romantic getaway for my wife and I. Remotely located

CONS: Nature Trails are limited (The new owner is working to add to them) They only had a limited menu for dinner on Sunday The road up to the castle was a bit rough. GREAT place i'd highly recommend this place and plan to visit again.

Room Tip: If your traveling on the weekend or off time please make sure you bring water/drinks. There is no TV's in the rooms so be mindful, the hotel is made for romantic time with your loved ones :D which is half the charm and fun.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple