All reviewsmurder mysteryking arthurcasserolehocking hillsclock towerchess setcinnamon rollscoach housefun place to hangmedieval timescell phone servicesmall tvthemed roomsgreat weekendlots of board gamesfresh fruitbreakfast is served
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay, will come again. The cabins were nice we enjoyed the fire pit and the sitting area there. We got to tour one of the cottages and loved the decor, the grounds were lovely. Enjoyed playing cards at the pub.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

Thank you for staying with us at Ravenwood Castle, and for taking the time to leave us a review - we really appreciate it!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and were able to make use of the new sitting area and fire pit at the Huntsman's Hollow. Those are relatively new additions, and we're glad to hear that they added to your experience!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

ROOM: I spent a weekend at Ravenwood with a small group. First, my room (the Duke's Dungeon) was very spacious, with a king size bed, a pair of reading chairs, and still plenty of room for a Saturday morning workout. The bed was very comfortable and thematic to boot. It was nice and cool in spite of the humid 90 degree weather, and there was a gas fireplace for winter guests. Loved the room.

FOOD: Dinner was excellent, steamed broccoli and meatballs, a pasta dish, a caramel-glazed chocolate cake of some kind. We had pub food our second night, a decent burger with plenty of chips and pretzels, five soup choices (all homemade I think) and a good beer selection featuring (but not limited to) Great Lakes and Thirsty Dog breweries and some good ciders. Breakfast was decent, certainly better than most hotels I've stayed at.

PUB and LIBRARY: The pub is medium-small and gorgeous with lots of dark wood, some sturdy tables, a bar and a crokinole board, some thematic decor. The small library was eclectic; I saw books by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, RA Salvatore, Ayn Rand, and David Eddings alongside the occasional HTML manual. I stayed up late in the library playing board games and camped out on a couch in there reading in the morning. Loved it.

MANAGEMENT: The managers Zac and Dina were super cool, eager to help, quite interesting and a lot of fun to hang out with. Five stars just for them.

COMPLAINTS: My only complaint is that Ravenwood Castle is deep in Ohio instead of Michigan where I can visit more easily. I mentioned this problem to the owner; he was very responsive and nice but I'm pretty sure he has no intention of moving it. Jerk.

Room Tip: The Dungeon and Tower rooms were large and very private. Some of the others were right off the dining hall and might suffer a bit from lack of privacy, at least during meal times.
2  Thank Eric K
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us at Ravenwood Castle, and thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to enjoy some games with Zac and Dina and some time in the library.

Regarding your request to move the castle, after serious consideration I have indeed chosen not to relocate to Michigan. I would, but, well... then the castle would be in Michigan. Given all of the Buckeye fans we employ, you can see how that would be an issue!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Gorgeous property/grounds--BURSTING with atmosphere. Rooms were spacious, pub was stocked with GREAT beers and ciders, and food was all delicious. Extensive book/boardgame libraries, too! Met and gamed with some wonderful folks, including the staff. Lack of wifi was frustrating, but they're working on that. The location is REALLY remote, so plan accordingly--don't assume you can pop out to Target to pick up whatever you forgot, or dine out at a different restaurant for every meal. (You don't need to dine out ever, the food available at the castle is all wonderful.)

I hope to go back for one of their many theme weekends or boardgaming events!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Duke's Dungeon, which was very quiet, no traffic from other guests, and opens onto the patio.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Spent the weekend there as part of a large group. Room and accommodations were clean and VERY comfortable. Zac and Dana, the new in-house management, were wonderful. They bent over backwards to make our group comfortable. Breakfasts were tasty and plentiful. My only negative comment is that there needs to be WiFi set up, at least the main castle. Since there is no cell coverage in that area, there needs to be a way for people to connect outside the group - I have an ailing father and not being able to get information on him over the weekend detracted from my enjoyment.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Jim R, Owner at Ravenwood Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm glad you had such a great time, and I know that the staff enjoyed your group as well!

We definitely hear you regarding the WiFi. We've been working on that for nearly two years now, and unfortunately are somewhat at the mercy of our location. The only internet access we have available at all is satellite, and we have insufficient bandwidth to be able to provide the service for guest use. We will continue working on it though, and will absolutely wire up at least the Great Hall once reliable internet is available in the area.

Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope you return to visit again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I visited Ravenwood Castle last November for one of the murder mystery weekends. My friend and I had a great time! We stayed in the Queen Victoria Suite. The room was amazing! I tell everyone I can to visit the Castle!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TiannaR126

Thanks for staying with us at Ravenwood Castle, and thanks for taking the time to leave a review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed the murder mystery. We have a great lineup of new mysteries coming out for the 2014/2015 season, keep your eye on the blog for announcements - and we hope to see you solving another mystery with us again soon!