“Lovely pub just round the corner!”
Review of The Fox Inn

The Fox Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Ryton
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Fox Inn is a traditional village pub set in the small village of Ryton, overlooking the Stretton Hills.We use local and fresh produce to achieve a high standard of quality and presentation.All our meat is British and GM free, fresh fish comes from Birmingham fish market. we are happy to cater for special dietary requirements. We are a free house offering a range of cask ales, many of them local.We serve a superb Sunday lunch which includes a choice of locally sourced roasts and a selection of traditional fish and vegetarian dishes. 1 Course £8.95, 2 Courses £10.95, 3 Courses £12.95Under 12’s1 Course £6.50, 2 Courses £8.50, 3 Courses £10.50If you require a lighter bite our lunch menu is also available in the bar or enjoy the view from the patio.We have a lighter lunch menu and Over 60's Menu onTuesday – Friday lunch times £7.00 main course, £8.00 2 courses, £9.00 3 courses.Special Board(Lunch and Evenings)Monday – Thursday 2 Courses for just £10.00Buffets and outside catering From an intimate meal to a larger buffet in our restaurant or a marquee in the grounds, we are happy to advise you with all your requirements.We can also cater for an event at a venue of your choice.Please give us a call to discuss our buffet menus.Weddings, Christenings, Birthdays, Funerals.If it’s your special occasion, it’s our special occasionLook out for our deli Shropshire Produce range in local cafés, petrol stations, post offices and supermarkets featuring sausage rolls, scotch eggs, pasties, home-made cakes, sandwiches and pasta pots.We also offer a popular take away menu.Collection 7pm – 9pmTelephone orders welcome.All our menus are produced in our 5 Star catering kitchen using quality ingredientsTry your luck at our fortnightly Wednesday quizFrom 8.30pmOnly £1.00ppCome and join the fun!Do you require a venue to hold your business meeting or a member of a club and looking for a regular venue to meet?Give us a call to discuss your requirementsDetails of all events and menus can be found on our website.
Reviewed 10 September 2015

We live locally - it's only taken us 18 months to visit the Fox. Went for lunch last week best steak pie I have had in years. Lovely old fashioned gravy - I had to ask for a spoon to finish it, it was so good. Husbands fish and chips really good - smashing fish. Returned last night for supper after a long day travelling and working in London. Great welcome, super steak with trimmings and husband had perfect scampi. Couple of drinks and home. Great place for us 5 minutes from home and big bonus they will do a take away meal for you. Super and friendly service. Thanks.

2  Thank Lorna A
Susan O, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2015

Many thanks for taking the time to write this complimentary review about your visits to The Fox.
Now that you have found us we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 September 2015 via mobile

My parents are about to move to the area and took me to show me their new home and the nearby villages. The one thing they hadn't found yet was a nice local pub which serves good food and has a warm and welcoming atmosphere. We found the Fox on TripAdvisor and chose to disregard the last comment as the vast majority of other reviews were very good. I can honestly say I'm very glad we did!

The pub was pretty and set in a lovely spot with a sunny beer garden and a cosy bar and restaurant. My mum and I are vegetarian and the chef was happy to accommodate if we needed but the menu contained a range of veggie options so we were able to order straight from there. All three of us had different options but all agreed that the meals were tasty, good value and well presented. The barman and owner made us feel extremely welcome and I expect my parent are going to be regulars. In fact they're off there again today!

5  Thank Carolyn L

Thank you for taking the time to write this complimentary review and comment on the quality and range of our vegetarian meals (especially as one of the meals you reviewed was commented on in the previous review that you chose to disregard).
We look forward to seeing you again when visiting your parents.

Reviewed 20 August 2015

I have to say that the outside of the pub looked very unloved and whilst searching to leave my review today I had to double check as the pictures above looked like a completely different building. No flowers to be seen at all, in fact it looked rather deserted.
I also remember thinking that it was strange that people were arriving with food wrapped in tin foil. This was obviously a locals get together, but not a good advert if the pub was encouraging people to bring in their own food!

I simply just couldn't eat my meal at The Fox Inn. It was stone cold with lots of water residue remaining on the plate and some brown decomposed lettuce which I found underneath my salad. After this I had no appetite and left without eating a thing! :(

8  Thank Indiebee

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us that evening and declined to have an alternative dish as offered (the review after had the same dish and left a complimentary review).
To address your point about our floral displays, we had removed all our flowers earlier in the week as they had suffered due to the horrendous weather and we felt that replacing them with the ornamental trees looked better, although we still have seven hanging baskets in place!
Our tapas and crossword evening held every Sunday night (as advertised on our website) welcomes both locals and visitors to join in and bring a contribution of home cooked food on the evening.
All of these locals eat with us on a regular basis and it is one of the many events that we hold at The Fox. We hold bake off competitions, home made liqueur evenings and onion growing competition to name a few. Far from this discouraging people to eat we are encouraging people into the pub and are sorry that you seem to miss this point completely.
We do however apologise that you did not find your meal that evening to our normal high standard.

Reviewed 25 July 2015

We called in here for lunch on a week day.
Greeted by very friendly staff and shown to a table.
Food was very nice with a good variety on the lunchtime menu.
Will definitely return, would especially like to try the evening menu.

2  Thank Matt6680
Susan O, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about the lunch and the service you enjoyed at The Fox.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Many thanks from Sue, John and all the staff at The Fox

Reviewed 30 June 2015

Both my wife and I had the starter then went on to have the main course we could v not falt the meal or service at all.
A very big thank you to the landlord landlady and staff.

1  Thank Colin C
Susan O, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to The Fox and look forward to seeing you again.