“Weekend getaway”

Cherry Valley Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Hotel is very nice and clean, love the atmosphere, nice bar. The hotel staff and spa staff are very friendly and nice. Had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Cherry Valley Lodge

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I have been staying at the Cherry Valley Lodge for many years. It is in a rural area where there are few hotel choices. We often stay here for local business reasons. I would never choose to stay here on a personal trip. Columbus, Ohio is 30 minutes away with more hotels. The rooms at Cherry Valley Lodge are dark, dreary and dated. The mattresses are old and uncomfortable. The old, low sofa in my room is filthy. The dried flower arrangements look as if they have not been dusted in years. Yes, I am here right now. The lamp shade on the floor lamp, next to the sofa, is cracked on the inside plastic covering. At dinner tonight, another member of our group mentioned that a lamp shade in her room is also cracked and damaged. The light shows through the cracks and through the outside fabric. She also mentioned soiled upholstered furniture. It is early Fall and chilly in the evenings; and, the heat is hard to adjust. You had better bring your own light bulbs because these lamps are not bright enough for reading. The bath room vanity lamps are not bright enough to do your make-up. I like that there is an exhaust fan in the toilet area. It is also nice that we have a microwave oven and a refrigerator in our suite. The closet, in our suite, is a walk-in; and, we have plenty of room with both a desk and full size dining table. They give you two tiny wafer type bars of soap which are only good for one person/one shower. The house keepers don't leave new soap wafers everyday; you have to call for soap. In fact, a gentleman just delivered two more soap wafers; and, we just checked in yesterday evening. The dining room is attractive; however, the wait staff looks as if they just walked in off the road. They put an apron over their street clothes and this is how the Cherry Valley Lodge presents itself these days. It has a confusing layout for a hotel. There is a lot of walking up and down to get to where you need to go. When our reservation was made, it was requested that someone take our drink orders and serve us in the library where we were having our group buffet dinner. As it turned out, we had to go round with a manager, who was wearing a hoodie under her apron, to get someone to serve us drinks. Cell phone connection is absolutely terrible and always has been. I would suggest that you take your business elsewhere. This hotel management does not realize the value of a good reputation. This is our last group stay here!

Room Tip: From what our group members say, all of the rooms are dark and dreary.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Greenvalley36
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This is an excellent hotel. Rooms are large, common areas are comfortable and attractive, and the staff is pleasant and helpful. It's attached to a water park, if you like that sort of thing. I went over to the Granville Inn, which is close by, but I like Cherry Valley better. Rooms are an excellent value for what you get.

Room Tip: I think they are all good. Decide if want the first floor, where you can go outside your room and w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed for the weekend when visiting our son at college. The first night we had dinner in the hotel. Very Average meal. As my son said (who wouldn't eat his meal); $32 for a steak means the steak should be good. It wasn't. Too grisly. Our room was fine but the bed was terrible. We had a suite with 2 queens and one was fine. The bed we chose was so bad, my husband thought we were on a pull out couch. Given the nightly cost, the rooms and meals should be better. On the upside, the cleaning service was helpful and offered to have a board brought in for our bed. It helped. The location is great with good access to major roadways. All in all....this hotel can do better.

Room Tip: Stay near the pool area if you'd like access to the spa or waterpark.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CollegeVisit60795
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This was my first and probably only trip to Cherry Valley Lodge and CoCo Key waterpark. The lodge was outstanding. The waterpark and it's supporting features ruined the trip. I made the reservation over the phone adding to my package the VIK (very important kid) for my son. I arrived on 17 September just after the park opened. Checkin was a little rough. A lifeguard, who knew nothing of the front desk, began to check me in. She then had to call in someone who knew what was going on (first mistake). The VIK was not added to my package (second mistake). there was no explaination written or oral on how the VIK worked. There signs telling you what you were "suppose" to receive but nothing on how to get it. Asking questions got short answers (third mistake). After checking in the room and playing in the water park for about 3 hours everything was shutdown except for the small kid area and the small adult pool\lilly pads. This remained so for about 2 hours (forth mistake). The kiddie pool was so crowded you couldn't move without bumping into someone. My son became bored as there was nothing to do. for appoximately 2 hours there were no towels available either(fifth mistake). We then went to the arcade. There was a good selection of games for all ages. The prize counter was terrible (sixth mistake). It looked like a run down shack. There were so few choices and there was only one choice of candy. It's almost Halloween time and they didn't have candy??? Breakfast the next day was ok in the Sunflower room. The food was bland and of course expensive. The water park on Sunday morning was completely staffed minus the lazy river and adult water slides (which opened and hour later). Check out was again an issue. There were multiple kids behind the counter and none of them knew what to do. The same person that checked me in had to check me out. At no point in time was I ever given an amount of my bill(seventh mistake). At the very last second i was asked if I wanted a receipt. Of course I did, and I'm glad. The charges were all wrong (eigth mistake). Conclusion: I was not relaxed on this trip at all. If anything I was more tense after expecting to spend a trouble free weekend with my family. Think twice if you want to relax here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank vipper35
Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Cherry Valley Lodge for a meeting. It is a lovely property & setting. The people are delightful. Food service is average with sporadic items very well executed. Rooms are kept as cold as a meat locker so bring a jacket. It seems that this lodge is resting on its laurels...the carpets are filthy, grout is cracked &/or moldy, exterior paint is peeling. It has those early signs of lack of attention to details.
The rooms are nicely decorated in standard hotel florals with sliding doors to a patio or balcony to get a breath of fresh air. If you have kids,(or you are a kid at heart), ask for a room near the pool or water park. The halls are labyrinthine!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Portena-by-Marriage
Reviewed 14 September 2011

The first time we went to Cherry Valley Lodge was in the winter. The water in the water park was so cold it was turning my sons lips purple. Our last trip was at the end of May and the water temp.was better. When we first arrived our room had not been vacuumed. They came up right away, and vacuumed the room. It was quiet, and we got the room that we had requested. We ate at the bob evans across the street, the restaurant prices are a bit high inside the resort. All and all a nice visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a court yard room! The court yard is beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath
Historic Buxton Inn
Historic Buxton Inn
#2 of 2 in Granville

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!