“Difficult one”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Wish I had gotten names of desk staff for this review. Checked in around 3 and the gentleman behind the desk was just coming on and was outstanding. The female getting off left a lot to be desired so welcoming staff was 50-50. The hotel just joined the Hilton Chain as a Doubletree thus was just renovated. Jr. suite - frog but no microwave. A/C was rather on the loud side and in the heat of the day room faced sun and a/c had a hard time keeping up. Room was nicely appointed. Walls were rather thin. Breakfast was buffet with good selection - service was ok as was the food. Pool was great as was fitness center. Parking was ok. Quite a ways from I70 thus would not recommend of coming off of I70. Did not look like a lot of places to eat close by. Eat at Olive Garden but it is a drive. The other highway is US16 which I consider a highway from nowhere to nowhere. There is a Hampton close to restaurants and I70 which would be better. As Doubletrees go it is typical. Just the location that turns me off.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Kendra P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for the detailed review regarding your recent stay at our DoubleTree hotel. Guest experience is important to me as we continually strive to provide exceptional customer service. Your feedback on the front desk team, overnight room accommodations, restaurant experience and our recreational facilities are reviewed and shared with our team in an effort to make immediate improvements and to achieve our goal of being your first choice hotel in Newark. I look forward to your returned trip to our area.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed 1 week in this hotel and the word "amazing" was an understatement. Not only was it very up to date and extremely clean but the staff was amazing!!! I typically stay in very large luxuries hotels because we gamble and they give us free suites but this Hilton tops them all! It was not as largely extravagant as my typical stay but it was so much more. It was cleaner then the amazing luxuries hotels we stay in. It was decorated so tastefully and very up to date. The fitness room is the nicest I have seen and I believe you could eat off of the floors in the entire place. The pool was very nice with warm towels and the restaurant was very classy and underpriced (I don't use that word much anymore)
We visited this hotel because my husbands work put us in it. I plan to book this hotel for any future Columbus stays.
10 out of 10

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank TheCampbells3232

Thank you for such a great review. It is an honor to have you and your family stay with us. Your kind words are very impactful to our DoubleTree team as we are very proud of our hotel. The team and I look forward to welcoming you on your returned visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our safe did not work the first night we were there. They were supposed to have someone fix it and they never did. We asked for extra coffee for the morning, we never got it. We used the water glasses and they were left half filled with water after the room was cleaned. I would have expected clean drinking glasses.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel. It is important that we meet and exceed every guests expectations. I have shared this review with my Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer to make immediate improvements and also to use as a coaching tool with our team. Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope to have the privilege of hosting you at our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed here for a week or so recently. We travel several times a year, I'm no stranger to hotels, nor this hotel family. This hotel has a nice lot, nice appearance, and is near the highway. From the moment we walked in, to the day we left, we never felt comfortable or welcome here. The desk staff is NOT friendly, at least not like the hundreds of other hotels and motels we have stayed over the years. They don't smile, they don't seem happy, morale seems to be very low here. And...it's not just the desk staff that acts like this. Housekeeping was pretty good, and they were pretty friendly. You know...it's the hospitality business, all they have to do is smile and fake it for a few minutes. Sean at the desk seemed extra grumpy...always!
We stayed in a handicapped room on the 5th floor. We get off the elevator and there is a grease or dirt stain on the carpet maybe 4 x 8". I know there are many workmen working there...everywhere! Our room was pretty nice, nice bedding, furniture, etc. There were more stains in front of the bed, and a large one near the wall. This hotel just changed hands a few weeks ago, and SOMEBODY should have inspected these rooms. There was no chair at the workstation, we had to call to get one. They said most handicapped people don't want it, but not all handicapped people are in wheelchairs. They did send a chair up for us right away after calling. There is no light within 15 feet of the workstation. Virtually every hotel I've ever stayed has had a light there. The water cups are glass with little paper hats, not sealed and not very sanitary. The bathroom had a roll-in shower that was nice. It had a steel, grate-like soap dish that the soap could fall right through that was not good. No lid on the toilet, and towels were piled on the tank lid. One night during prime time, the TV went out. We called the desk, they told us they knew that, because somebody else had called. They said they would send somebody up. We wait...wait...wait, maybe 1/2 hour. I try the TV, now it's working. We call down to tell the desk, it's working, you don't need to send anybody. They say "it was the circuit breaker". WOW...we have the courtesy to tell them not to send somebody, but they didn't have the courtesy to tell us it was fixed! The TV cut out again later.
The first morning we go for the breakfast buffet. Our experiences mirror those of Erika K a few reviews before this. The bacon is not chewable, the eggs are cold, the waitresses aren't cheery. Overhead, there are 2 ceiling tiles missing, and a big hole in the ceiling. Then the house flies come to visit while we are eating. The second morning, it's the same story, cold buffet food, pancakes you can't chew ...you can smell the burnt bacon from the lobby ...and flies...again! I saw someone that appeared to be a manager, and commented about the food, the ceiling tiles, the flies, the desk help, etc. The manager's name was Curt Fanning (sp), and he explained they were aware of the problems and were working on them. He apologized and defused the situation nicely. He told us he would discount the room 1 day, and he said he would send something to the room for us, and he did send a fruit and cheese tray with 2 bottles of water and nice glasses. He did hand write us a nice card, and said to see him if there were more problems. Morning 3, thankfully, the waitress (Michelle) was cheerier and more attentive to us. The flies are still in the dining room and buffet room. The ceiling tiles ARE back in, so that looks much better. Another waitress...Jean, another cheery, good waitress. But the food is still cold and the eggs are burnt to the bottom of the serving dish and almost gone. They did made a small dish of eggs for us. Mornings 4-5-6-7 are the same, good service, a cheery waitstaff, and....flies...flies...flies, while eating each day. On the seventh morning, we were blessed with house flies AND fruit flies while eating, so we know they are in the kitchen, the buffet room, the dining room, etc. We just stopped eating at that point!
I know this is lengthy, and readers may wonder why we didn't talk to the manager. The manager will probably respond, and say...oh...if only we knew, we are so sorry. The truth is THEY DO KNOW, I told them, and nothing was done for a week (actually, probably still not done). If you are planning a wedding reception, a party, a reunion...whatever...please think twice before you book it here. Or...if you don't believe me, go to the desk and ask them where the breakfast buffet is. Note how cheery the desk people are for yourself. Then be sure to grab a USA Today to counter the flies attacking you while you eat your cold and/or burnt food. Then decide if you want to book your event there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kendra P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

These are words we don’t like to hear. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. This feedback is tough to hear because it is our goal to provide excellent customer service, and make sure every guest enjoys every aspect of their stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please contact me directly (kendra.proudfit@hilton.com) so I can make this right for you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is not our first time staying at this hotel, but our first time as the Double Tree. We were happy to see things have improved.

We arrived early, so we were not expecting to have a room ready at 8am, but to our surprise a room was ready and we were able to check in. Our room was clean, well equipped and in good condition. The only complaints we could make about our room was that the air conditioner was noisy. Also, the view from the rooms on the backside of the hotel is just the pool rooftop and storage.

All the staff that we came into contact with was very friendly. Everyone greeted us and were eager to take care of us. From the front desk, to housekeeping to the restaurant.

Speaking of the restaurant, the food was good. Service was good in the morning and afternoon. The only problem that we had was with the self-seating. In the morning, we noticed a few customers waiting to be noticed after they seated themselves. Again, friendly staff.

This hotel was the host hotel for an event we were attending in the area. Many thanks to the hotel for their hospitality. The hotel went to extra lengths to accommodate us.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the away from the restaurant/bar (north side). The bar was somewhat noisy on Satur...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Kendra P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am happy to hear you were pleased with your accommodations and our hotel team members. Your continued support is important to me. I look forward to your return trip.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel officially became a Hilton property three days before I checked in. I am sincerely hoping the staff get the "Hilton" training soon. I am a diamond member and when I checked in I was not recognized as such - I was not thanked for staying at the hotel, nor did I receive any of the complimentary items some of my diamond co-workers received, nor did I (or any of my co-workers, all HHonors members) get to stay on the 6th floor (HHonors floor). The rest of my diamond co-workers also received the same subpar treatment as myself. I stayed in a room on the 5th floor (which did NOT have a king bed -- I booked a KING bed) and it was very dark. I had a hard time working in the evening due to the lack of light. The new Hilton towels were very nice, but the pillows were terrible - completely flat when you lay on them. My co-workers and I discussed how much we loved the showerheads in the bathrooms - so good job there!

Breakfast needs work -- the buffet area is hot and humid. The wait staff (both the older woman and the younger girl who needs to wear clothes that fit her because her outfits were incredibly inappropriate) were unprofessional and sometimes rude. The eggs tasted like instant and the bacon was bad. Most of the cereal choices were of the "small child" variety (Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.). This hotel is definitely not worth the DoubleTree name - hopefully it will get better.

For those who have never been to Newark, the town is depressed. There aren't many good restaurants -- you need to travel to Heath for variety.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Erika K
Kendra P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for the great detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our DoubleTree hotel. Your feedback is important to me and the team as it allows us to focus on specific areas of improvements in an effort of perfecting our guest experience. I am thrilled to have you experience our hotel at the beginning of our transition and can't wait for your returned trip because I am confident you will be impressed with our improvements on your next visit.

The team has focused the last couple of weeks on perfecting the details of the items listed in your review including the importance of recognition, quality improvement on product including the lighting in the guest rooms. I am happy to say that 100% of the team will be in their new uniforms this week which will bring a polished look to the entire team and especially restaurant.

I would love the opportunity to manage your returned trip so I may include a positive experience of what our historic downtown provides. We can explore options of tickets for a concert at the Midland Theatre, a wine experience at Buckeye Winery or possibly tickets to the Works Museum (Ohio Center for History, Art and Technology) amongst additional attractions in the area.

Thank you for you continued loyalty as a Diamond Hhonors member. Your loyalty is important to all of us at the DoubleTree. When you are ready to plan your next trip, please contact me at 740/322-6455 or email me at Kendra.proudfit@hilton.com.

Again, thank you for your informative review. I appreciate you!

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is now the Doubletree Hilton newly renovated! We have been on a road trip for 5 days and this has been #1 ... staff great...room great...Elements restaurant great...pool the best and the most awesome cookies at check in mmmmm.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle R

I am thrilled to hear DoubleTree was #1 on your trip and how much you enjoyed our services. I agree, the cookies are the most awesome! I hope you will visit us again in the future. From the team here at DoubleTree, we appreciate you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Courtyard Newark Granville
The Granville Inn
The Granville Inn
#1 of 2 in Granville
Americas Best Value Inn-Heath/Newark

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio? Share your experiences!