“Derby Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newbury
Pittsburgh
“Derby Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I found Punderson Manor Lodge a very nice get-a-way. We had a room in the addition and the room was very nicely done. We had a view of the lake and had dinner in the lodge on Sat. night. The crab cake appetizer was very good. Grounds were wonderful for a walk and then a swim in the pool and sunning on the deck. Great time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ejsfish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Newark, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have gone several times to Punderson Manor Resort and have never been let down. It is excellent if you get one of their estate rooms. They make you feel more like you are in a bed and breakfast than a hotel or lodge. Very nice rooms. Staff was excellent, restaraunt is really good food and good prices.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We began our visit to Punderson Manor on a Sunday night which was a good choice because it was not crowded at all. We felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. There are around 30 guestrooms and many cottages that are available for rent. We stayed in a double room on the newer side. Although next time I would like to stay on the old side because they looked very charming (we snuck a peak when the maids had the doors open for cleaning.)

Our room could have been cleaned a little better though. There were a couple of candy wrappers underneath the bed, dust on the nightstand and two dark stains on the light colored bedspreads. However, the bathroom was very clean! The rooms have flat screen televisions and they have a modern look. The view from our room was of the lake and it was very pretty.

We ate at the restaurant and were seated by the large windows which provided a very pretty view of the lake with the sun setting. The food was good and came out very quickly. However, since it was a Sunday night there were hardly any patrons; it was just my table and one other.

We did try to use their indoor swimming pool but like a previous reviewer noted found it to be full of unattended children running, jumping and splashing water everywhere. I found it odd that they were all guests since we had hardly seen anyone during our entire stay and later found out that they were not guests but rather locals who pay for day passes to use the pool. Very annoying!! As a paying guest staying at the manor I'd prefer to not have to deal with unruly children who are disobeying every rule posted by the pool. We did attempt to get into the water but one man who had about 8 children with him was picking children up and throwing them in the water making it impossible to get any swimming in. BTW the pool is not that big so this was a major nuisance. We finally got to swim without any of this around 9pm. Unacceptable to have to deal with this as paying guests staying at the lodge. They need to have an employee check in on the pool area to make sure rules are being followed. It just seemed dangerous to let all of those kids everywhere unattended.

Even though it was snowy we did walk around the property and it is very pretty. The resort is reportedly haunted and employees were very friendly and willing to take the time to chat.

All in all, I don't know if we'll go back. We went for rest and relaxation and to enjoy the pool and were kind of disappointed.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows; the ones in our room were hard as rocks!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank funinthesun037
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have to admit, we only traveled 10 minutes for this little weekend get-away, but it was my husband's 40th birthday, and we couldn't go far, so I thought, what the heck... and it was worth it! A local state park that had practically been in my back yard my whole life, Punderson is a large park with lake swimming/small beach, trails, sled riding hills,golf course, cross country skiing and a large manor house with guest rooms. It also has small cabins to rent, which I have never been inside. I was hesitant to go, because of it being so old, I was worried it would have that smokey/musty feel - but, we were pleasantly suprised! Our room was a standard 2 double bed room - recently remodeled and was spacious and nice. The bathroom was newly remodeled and was small but very nice, and they also built a sink outside the bathroom itself to have more sink room! (smart) We had dinner in the dining room - which was very good - it would have been pricey, but we had the romance package, so it was mostly paid for - and my only mistake is that you should get a reservation - we had to wait until 7:30 to get a seat. Worth the wait though, the food was delicious. If you can get a table next to a window, there is a beautiful view of the lake, which our room had as well. There was also a great breakfast buffet for the next morning - I think it was just for the weekends. They have an indoor and outdoor pool - being February, we obviously could only swim indoors which would have been perfect - nice warm water, another gorgeous view - except for a group of kids whithout their parents that morning that made swimming difficult - not Punderson's fault though - just inconsiderate guests. The place has some great history, with stories of being haunted, so you have to be prepared to be walking through ancient hallways - and the only problem is that you have to carry your luggage up and down several small flights of steps to get to your room, so pack light. Overall, we really had a nice time, and I am a little sad that I have waited this long to go!!

Room Tip: Higher room have better views, but more steps to climb
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Punderson Manor is a lot of fun in summertime, but it's even more beautiful and just as much fun to stay there in winter. I recently spent the night there when around 12 to 14 inches of snow fell (only 3 to 6 were predicted). The rooms are warm and comfortable, the staff is very accomodating, and the meals in the dining room can't be beat. I highly recommend it for a winter getaway! Go hang out in the library with a good book. It's supposed to be haunted, and we have had orbs show up in pictures we made in that section of the building!

Room Tip: There are really 3 choices. Either lake view or front view in the new section of the lodge, or else...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KentuckyRover
Sierra Madre, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We picked Punderson Park for my 50th birthday / family reunion and have no regrets! Some family members stayed in a cabin (#5) and loved it! It had 2 bedrooms with a large screened porch with a great view of the lake & a picnic table and bbq outside.Everyone else stayed in the newer wing of the manor and had no complaints! It was clean, well kept,and downright charming! The staff was great. The food was good. The bar or lounge was nice. And the lightning bugs in the woods at night were spectacular for the folks that had never seen them! There were 17 in our party and nobody had any negative comments .(Aside from mosquitos HA!) My boys miss it and want to live there someday.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
North Ridgeville, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

This was by far and away the very WORST PLACE WE EVER STAYED. My husband and I wanted a getaway and in the end, we just wanted to get away from this place!! The outside is lovely in a gothic sort of way, and the fact that this place is reportedly haunted makes it even better. But that's about it. Our room was so unclean. We on purpose decided to do a lot so we only had to sleep in our room, which should have been a red flag. At the end of the night, my husband already asleep, I pulled back the covers at there was hair that was not mine in my sheets.... I pulled down more and there was confetti. What the hell? I looked in the bed my husband was sleeping in and there was more hair. I went in the bathroom and there was hair in the drain and mildew on the sides. I went to wash my face and unfurled the washcloth, only to find what looked like--I kid you not--an old blood stain. That did it for me. I woke up the husband and after pleading, he complained to management, who seemed very irritated and asked what, exactly, we wanted. He demanded a new room, so they moved us across the hall. It was better, but still not even acceptable. The kicker--I went to make some coffee in the morning because I had a sore throat and there were old coffee grounds still in the pot. THAT WAS IT. Ridiculous. Never, ever, ever again will I stay here. When we checked out, the manager was nicer than the previous person and tried to give us a night free. My husband said, "Are you kidding me? My wife would never come here again!" And he's right. They at least gave us our money back. STAY AWAY!! This place is terrible!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TrinityDiodore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
Steele Mansion Inn & Gathering Hub
#9 of 38 in Cleveland
Aloft Beachwood
Aloft Beachwood
#3 of 15 in Beachwood

Been to Punderson Manor Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!