“Shocked and appalled!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Oregon
Oregon, Ohio
“Shocked and appalled!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had stayed here on January 11th, 2014. The hotel itself is very nice. Facilities as well as the room was great. I also was upgraded to a "jacuzzi room" based on my Platinum Elite status with IHG. Now here is where the problem kicked it.

1) Around 1130PM Dave came up to my room to inform me that I had a couple noise issues. First off, I am in a room with a massive HOT TUB! The thing itself sounded like a jet engine while it was running? Am I only allowed to use the hot tub during certain hours? If so, I was not informed of such a policy. I admit I had a couple friends over to the room; however, getting in and out of a 4 foot high hot tub is not exactly easy to do with complete silence.

2) I checked my IHG Chase Visa account today and noticed a $200 dollar charge that I was not exactly positive why it was there. After calling the hotel and speaking with a one "Stacy" I was informed that it was a "smoking fee" First off, I was never even made aware of such a policy during check in. Clearly, I think that there is a responsibility with the front desk staff to inform guests checking in of such a ridiculously high fee. Second, the fee was based on cigarette butts in a can that was disposed of in the hotel room itself. For someone like me and most of my friends not littering is becoming more and more of the norm. Hence why most smokers now a days "field strip" their smokes to put them out and put them in their pocket until they can discard of them properly. Fact of the matter is, I did NOT smoke in the hotel room. Furthermore, even if I did, I FIRMLY believe that based solely on the fact I was not even informed of such a policy or fee upon check in. To me this sounds like the perfect opportunity for hotels to discreetly generate more revenues for their properties.

As of now, Stacy has the owners looking into some sort of video at the front desk. I do think she was being polite; however, it is absolutely absurd that a property can attach fees of such large amounts without even giving the patron a proper informative explanation of such policies. I worked at a hotel for 3 years and we were CONSTANTLY trained to inform every guest that smoking in the room or on balconies would result in a $250.00 dollar fine. I am hoping the hotel does what is right, but for now I am waiting for a phone call and if I don't get one reasonably soon I will be contacting my Chase IHG Rewards Visa CC company to dispute the charges, the BBB to file a complaint, IHG Corporate, and eventually contact my lawyer if need be.

In conclusion, I really did like the room and the property as a whole. I was a bit disappointed in the treatment I got based on "noise complaints" that occurred at 1130PM on a Saturday night! I had a massive hot tub in the middle of my room. And from reading previous hotel reviews from this specific property it seems that this "noise issue" is quite common. Finally, I have no problem paying fees or fines for smoking or even the room smelling like smoke; however, this is something that SHOULD NOT be "in the fine print" It is a low, deceitful, appalling manner in which to take hard earned money out of the pockets of your hotel guests. Not to mention, I am the highest tier status with their rewards program and hold their Chase Visa card. The entire situation makes me sick to my stomach as I have NEVER had an issues in the hundreds of times I have stayed in hotels for both work or leisure. I almost feel like I was punished because "Dave" had to come up twice and warn me about "noise" Please explain to me how to be extremely quite when you have a jet engine setting next to your bed?

Room Tip: I just wouldn't stay here again. It is a shame, because I have actually stayed here quite a few...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please call me back at the hotel. The number I have on file for you is incorrect. I pulled your registration card and you INITIALED where it states that there is a $200 smoking fee. Our staff also informs each guest of our smoking fee as they point where to initial. There are also Non-Smoking signs at the registration desk, by the elevator, all over the hotel, at each room entrance and in each room. Your room strongly smelled of smoke and cigarette butts were found in cans. I have pictures. We had to take the room out of order, strip and deep clean the entire room, including carpet cleaning. Non-Smokers are very sensitive to smoke smell and we work hard to provide a smoke free facility. We charged the $200 to help offset some of this cost.
Three rooms complained of noise coming from your room. This noise was not from the Jacuzzi but from people stomping and yelling while watching a Playoff Football Game. These complaints had nothing to do with your smoking fee.
Sincerely, Stacey Wiseman,GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

As truck drivers we see a lot of hotels. This one was great. Convenient to all our needs. Gets a little noisy when meetings are scheduled at hotel but that seems to be a norm now. Really enjoyed our stay. Thanks for discount on surrounding restaurants. Great room comfy bed.

• Stayed December 2013
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to your next stay.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hotel cancelled my reservations for the first of two nights I was there . Had confirmation number with guaranteed late arrival but I guess this was not good enough. Asked to speak with a manager, still waiting for a call

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for the review. I'm sorry that it took so long to get into contact with you. Let me start this by saying that I know you had a nice conversation with the other manager Michael. We are looking forward to you and the rest of your party staying with us in the near future. I know that you discussed how this reservation was cancelled because there was an incorrect credit card number and it wasn't authorizing. My staff tried contacting you but since the reservation was made by a travel agent, there wasn't any credible contact information. I also heard that you and Michael have decided to make sure that there is current contact information on any future reservations. We will in turn try even harder in the future to contact someone in this situation. I am truly sorry for the trouble you encountered but do look forward to meeting you in the future.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Several female cousins met at this hotel from various cities. We found it to be the perfect location because it was located in a section of the city that had restaurants, drug stores, gas stations, nail shops and much more. It was also very close to the Hollywood Casino.

The rooms were very clean and quite comfortable and spacious. The WI-FI worked perfectly as did all other amenities in the room and hotel. The Staff was accommodating and friendly.
We found the pool area perfect for relaxing on a Saturday afternoon.
Although the fitness room only offers 2 machines, the Hotel does offer free access to a fitness center close by, however, it is inconvenient to have to leave the hotel to go there.
My only suggestion for this hotel is that they should make improvements in their fitness area.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for the wonderful 5 Star Review. I am so glad that you and your family had such a great time here. I agree that it is a perfect location because of our close proximity to many restaurants, shopping, and entertainment venues. I am taking you up on your suggestion to improve the Fitness area. It will be renovated soon. We are still in the design phase. That is why we offer the FREE membership to SNAP FITNESS to all our guests. I appreciate your terrific review and suggestion and I look forward to your next stay.
Stacey Wiseman, GM, Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon
Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Nice, clean hotel in a location with not many options. Room was clean, breakfast was good. The work out room needs some more options but they offer free membership to a 24 hour work out facility nearby.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the favorable review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. The Fitness Center will be soon renovated. I look forward to your next stay and am sure that you will love the new fitness center.
Thank you, Stacey Wiseman, GM, Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

The hot tub in my room was huge, certainly welcome and big enough for two people (I travel alone). The temperature of the hot water was very difficult to control however. It took about fifteen minutes to get it filled and if I didn't constantly monitor it the water would have been too cool. However it was wonderful for my sore back!

I would like to rate this five stars but can't, too many other flaws. The hallways were dirty - they needed vacuuming every day and weren't. The computer in the Business Center must be filled to the brim with viruses and spam, it took me 30 minutes to print out five FedEx shipping labels, something I can do anywhere else in under five minutes. It just hung there, I had to reload pages, etc.

This is a difficult place to locate. The sign is very small and I missed it the first time. It's next to a bar and a liquor store and the parking lot is pretty much unlit. I am prepared for my own safety but I could see where others may feel uneasy here.

The staff is nice but I wasn't acknowledged as a Gold member when I checked in. First time this has happened this year at a Holiday Inn Express.

Overall I would stay here again as it was very convenient to the nearby refinery where I was working.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for this review. I am glad that you enjoyed the Huge Hot Tub. I also think that our Jacuzzi Rooms are terrific. I spoke with Upper Management about the lighting of the parking lot and was informed that they are already working on a nice upgrade to the parking lot lights. I talked with our IT team and have implemented a new procedure to keep the Business Center Computer in fine working order. I am also working with the front desk to make sure that everyone's IHG Status is acknowledged at every check in. I hope that your return trip will bring a 5 Star Review.
Stacey Wiseman,GM
North Bend, Ohio
Reviewed 10 September 2013

...do not stay in the non-Jacuzzi King Suite. The Jacuzzi Suites are located on the 2nd Floor (figure that one out), and the King Suites are below. If the Jacuzzi is on, what you hear below is something like a jet taxing. Hope (and pray) that they use it in the daylight hours because you will not get any sleep at night. Fortunately for us, it was just a novelty for them and was never an issue again.

.....hopefully you do not have twenty-somethings next to you during a festival. Even when I warned the Front Desk that they were quite loud Saturday afternoon, we were woke up at 2am when they came back from hitting the bars after the GAF. The Front Desk did nothing about the constant door slamming. Yes, their partying was "softer" compared to Saturday afternoon, but really, we didn't have the TV to drown them out this time. I'm sure they passed out by 4am. Ah, to be young again!

Beautiful, clean place. The breakfast is average compare to the other chains that offer buffet-style. But we do come to sleep, right? I know we do get our sleep back at home the next day, but the apathetic management made it an average to disappointing stay.

I guess I would have preferred the Jacuzzi noise on over drunk idiots, but unfortunately management didn't really care that we had any issues all weekend. Didn't even ask about our stay at checkout. I guess I'm not surprised.

Room Tip: Do not get the King Suites unless you also reserve the 2nd Floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peteranton
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. I am also sorry that you felt that I didn't care. I DO Care. That is why we tried to move your room and I gave you IHG Reward Points. I have also discussed with my staff ways to quiet "twenty-somethings."
Sincerely, Stacey Wiseman,GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oregon
Hampton Inn Toledo / Oregon
Park Inn Toledo
#8 of 17 in Toledo
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Toledo West
Radisson at The University of Toledo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon? Share your experiences!