“Nice getaway weekend.”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Oregon
Fennville, Michigan, United States
“Nice getaway weekend.”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Couldn't afford a week in sunny Florida so we settled for a weekend at the Hollywood Casino in Toledo. The Holiday Inn Express was one of the hotels recommended by the casino. We found it to be convenient, clean and friendly. Just 3 miles from the casino. Comfortable rooms, very quiet even though they seemed to be filled with a gymnastic group. Nice pool area. Next time I'll remember to bring my swimsuit. Yes, we'll be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your "Getaway Weekend!" Hopefully you won at the Hollywood Casino. We look forward to your return visit.
Stacey Wiseman, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I had to fly to Ohio last minute for the birth of my grand-daughter and after sleeping the 1st night in the waiting room of the hospital....I was desperate on day 2 for some sleep!! Well the Holiday Inn Express is just a half mile form the hospital. Well because I flew in, I had no transportation. I asked the front desk if they would help me with calling a cab.....the manager--- Michael said; "Hold on....I'll just take you there myself. No need to call a cab." What an AMAZING favor he did for me!! He dropped me off right at the front entrance and said Congratulations and Happy Valentines day!!
I have stayed in many hotels but THIS was over and above what any of the others have ever done!! I will always stay here when I come to town to visit my family!! The room was very clean and the towels were folded like pretty fans. The bed was so comfy and the pillows-- well I wish I had those pillows at home!! Everyone was very polite and friendly too!! Thank you Holiday Inn Express for making my visit so easy and comfortable!!! You rock!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good size and the showers are really nice!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Congratulations on the birth of your grand daughter and thank you for taking the time to write this review. I agree that Michael went above and beyond, that's what we do at the Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon. We look forward to your next stay while you visit your new grand baby, maybe this time you will be able to enjoy some of our beautiful extras. Again, thank you so much for this Great 5 Star Review,
Stacey Wiseman, GM, Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Absolutely love coming here time and time again. The staff is amazing and the rooms are awesome! The pool is great! And the hot breakfast in the morning makes your morning so much better. I will definitely be back soon! :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for the amazing 5 Star review! I am so glad that you feel that the Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon is your "Home Away From Home." That in itself lets me know that we are doing our jobs. We look forward to your speedy return.
Stacey Wiseman,GM, Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon
Wayne, Michigan
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Last year, I had a less than satisfactory stay at the HI Express Oregon. I spoke with manager Stacy then, and she gave me some Priority Club points and promised me things would be better next time. I took her word and decided to give the place another shot. I'm glad I did. At check-in, I found out as a Gold member, my room was upgraded to a suite. A very nice gesture. When I got to the room on the third floor, I found out it wasn't the typical suite I have stayed in at other properties, but a jacuzzi room! I was so happy I wanted to thank Stacy personally, which I did.

The entire staff was very friendly, always greeting me. Even the housekeeping staff on the first floor was very friendly towards me. Have to say the Friday overnight guy was great in arranging a late checkout for Sunday. Didn't catch his name, but a really great guy to talk to.

The only problem I had didn't affect me personally, but there were people smoking on the first floor between the elevator and breakfast area. I mentioned it to David at the front desk before heading out for the evening, and he took care of it. Certainly not the hotel's fault some people don't bother to follow the rules!

Everything went great, and the next time I plan an overnight stay in the Toledo area, this will be my location. This just proves that giving someone a second chance can really pay off.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for the tremendous 5 Star Review. But more importantly, thank you for giving us a second chance. I know how hard it is to step out of your comfort zone and give someone another shot. We are not perfect 100% of the time, even though we try. We switched the internet to fiber optic and it is wonderful. The HD TV's are switching to fiber optic on Monday also. I am glad that you had a nice stay and will be returning.
Stacey Wiseman,GM, Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We go to Oregon to visit family and Holiday Inn is 5 minutes from them, so we have stayed here plenty of times. I thought I would try other hotels in the area to see what I was missing, I checked in to the others in the area, but none of them had the service that this hotel has, we even tried one downtown and was super disappointed.
This time around the hotel was full and we had to find another hotel downtown which was about 15 minutes from the family, we had to pay for parking, breakfast and a refrigerator and they charge more for the room, which was nothing special, kinda rundown. The closet was super small and the shower head leaked and the staff wasn't very helpful at all. We had booked 5 nights because we were there for a funeral, I couldn't stay but one night.
I called the holiday Inn and asked if they could find a room for us and REED was able to help and get us a king jaquzzi, He was wonderful, very helpful and courteous and I was so thankful he got us in. This hotel offers you so much more for the price of the room, free parking, All rooms have refrig, microwave and coffeemakers. They offer a decent breakfast with coffee at no extra charge and the staff is the greatest, clean rooms with all the amenities you need. The rooms are nicely decorated, I know the lobby needs upgrading ( which I was told will happen this summer) but all other services are great so that really doesn't bother me at all. Oh, and the pool is a nice size with jaquzzi, Will always stay here when in town.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great 5 Star Review! I am so glad that Reed was able to squeeze you in. Our Jacuzzi Rooms are my favorite. They are so large and beautiful. You are correct about our upcoming renovations. We are still in the planning stage now, but from what I have seen, we will look Marvelous! I hope to be done by this time next year. You may not recognize us when you return.
Stacey Wiseman, GM, Holiday Inn Express/Toledo-Oregon
Oregon, Ohio
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had stayed here on January 11th, 2014. The hotel itself is very nice. Facilities as well as the room was great. I also was upgraded to a "jacuzzi room" based on my Platinum Elite status with IHG. Now here is where the problem kicked it.

1) Around 1130PM Dave came up to my room to inform me that I had a couple noise issues. First off, I am in a room with a massive HOT TUB! The thing itself sounded like a jet engine while it was running? Am I only allowed to use the hot tub during certain hours? If so, I was not informed of such a policy. I admit I had a couple friends over to the room; however, getting in and out of a 4 foot high hot tub is not exactly easy to do with complete silence.

2) I checked my IHG Chase Visa account today and noticed a $200 dollar charge that I was not exactly positive why it was there. After calling the hotel and speaking with a one "Stacy" I was informed that it was a "smoking fee" First off, I was never even made aware of such a policy during check in. Clearly, I think that there is a responsibility with the front desk staff to inform guests checking in of such a ridiculously high fee. Second, the fee was based on cigarette butts in a can that was disposed of in the hotel room itself. For someone like me and most of my friends not littering is becoming more and more of the norm. Hence why most smokers now a days "field strip" their smokes to put them out and put them in their pocket until they can discard of them properly. Fact of the matter is, I did NOT smoke in the hotel room. Furthermore, even if I did, I FIRMLY believe that based solely on the fact I was not even informed of such a policy or fee upon check in. To me this sounds like the perfect opportunity for hotels to discreetly generate more revenues for their properties.

As of now, Stacy has the owners looking into some sort of video at the front desk. I do think she was being polite; however, it is absolutely absurd that a property can attach fees of such large amounts without even giving the patron a proper informative explanation of such policies. I worked at a hotel for 3 years and we were CONSTANTLY trained to inform every guest that smoking in the room or on balconies would result in a $250.00 dollar fine. I am hoping the hotel does what is right, but for now I am waiting for a phone call and if I don't get one reasonably soon I will be contacting my Chase IHG Rewards Visa CC company to dispute the charges, the BBB to file a complaint, IHG Corporate, and eventually contact my lawyer if need be.

In conclusion, I really did like the room and the property as a whole. I was a bit disappointed in the treatment I got based on "noise complaints" that occurred at 1130PM on a Saturday night! I had a massive hot tub in the middle of my room. And from reading previous hotel reviews from this specific property it seems that this "noise issue" is quite common. Finally, I have no problem paying fees or fines for smoking or even the room smelling like smoke; however, this is something that SHOULD NOT be "in the fine print" It is a low, deceitful, appalling manner in which to take hard earned money out of the pockets of your hotel guests. Not to mention, I am the highest tier status with their rewards program and hold their Chase Visa card. The entire situation makes me sick to my stomach as I have NEVER had an issues in the hundreds of times I have stayed in hotels for both work or leisure. I almost feel like I was punished because "Dave" had to come up twice and warn me about "noise" Please explain to me how to be extremely quite when you have a jet engine setting next to your bed?

Room Tip: I just wouldn't stay here again. It is a shame, because I have actually stayed here quite a few...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please call me back at the hotel. The number I have on file for you is incorrect. I pulled your registration card and you INITIALED where it states that there is a $200 smoking fee. Our staff also informs each guest of our smoking fee as they point where to initial. There are also Non-Smoking signs at the registration desk, by the elevator, all over the hotel, at each room entrance and in each room. Your room strongly smelled of smoke and cigarette butts were found in cans. I have pictures. We had to take the room out of order, strip and deep clean the entire room, including carpet cleaning. Non-Smokers are very sensitive to smoke smell and we work hard to provide a smoke free facility. We charged the $200 to help offset some of this cost.
Three rooms complained of noise coming from your room. This noise was not from the Jacuzzi but from people stomping and yelling while watching a Playoff Football Game. These complaints had nothing to do with your smoking fee.
Sincerely, Stacey Wiseman,GM
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

As truck drivers we see a lot of hotels. This one was great. Convenient to all our needs. Gets a little noisy when meetings are scheduled at hotel but that seems to be a norm now. Really enjoyed our stay. Thanks for discount on surrounding restaurants. Great room comfy bed.

• Stayed December 2013
hi43616, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to your next stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oregon
Hampton Inn Toledo / Oregon
Park Inn Toledo
#8 of 17 in Toledo
Radisson at The University of Toledo
Hampton Inn & Suites Toledo/Westgate

Been to Holiday Inn Express Toledo-Oregon? Share your experiences!