“The Apartment is run down.”
Review of Gilboa Quarry

Gilboa Quarry
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We rented the apartment on site at the Quarry as it is a 6 hour drive from where we live. The Apartment rents for $85.00 per night.

We were shocked at what we saw when we walked up the stairs to the entrance. First, the deck doesn't have any railing on the side facing the water. That was surprising.

Walking in we were stunned. Exposed wiring, no smoke detector, the registers are missing in two locations so you look right down into the washrooms below.

As we started to use the place we found food and alcohol left over from the previous person there, one towel for three of us (we asked for more ... they never arrived). We also found no lids for the pots, no coffee maker, no kettle and this was awesome - no forks !

The electrical outlet didn't work near the sink, where you would plug in the toaster. The tv didn't work. The mattress collapsed in the middle.

We had booked three nights and left after two.

Mike, who clearly had not been informed of the above issues until we went through the apartment with him when we were leaving, did refund us the night we didn't use. That was fair.

The quarry is a nice place to dive - we live in a better place to dive, so were a bit surprised that so many good things are said of Gilboa. It likely is a good place to learn technical diving in a safe environment.

Bring a wagon with you for your gear as you will generally have to take it a long way before you can set up.

If we were to return we would stay at a hotel in the area and go to the Quarry for the day.

3  Thank BooWho3
"underwater"
in 10 reviews
"certification"

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just got back from this dreary spot near Findlay, OH, (June 2014). The operator dubs it "Diving at its Best". Really? Have they been anywhere else beyond this mud puddle? Okay, its fine to get your open water cert as Cancun is a little hard to get to on a weekend. However the jack%$$ running it this weekend was rude to his customers, snapped at them for being "behind" (what???) Even though he was late to start the crazy check-in! The area is a confusing array of junk with little organization. If you go to watch a friend or help your kids get a cert, you will be charged $6 to do nothing! Huh? If you like being barked at and treated like you are a bother, then come here. Otherwise support someone the appreciates your business. I agree with Miguel W...Mgt is a lying bunch of criminals.

5  Thank Tom Y
Reviewed 10 June 2014

gilboa is a dive quarry, ideal for training and for "fun diving". i was hesitant about doing my open water certification dives here, but i'm glad i listened to the folks at rec diving, my dive shop. it was, and is, a super experience to dive here.

pros:
close to home (southeast michigan)
dive platforms at 25 feet: ideal for training new divers
dive sites down to 130+ feet: good for deep and dry suit training
good place to practice swim throughs: plane, helicopter, tubes
nitrox available
lots of fish: trout, bass, sunfish, coy and paddlefish
drury inn (in findlay, 17 miles away) offers special divers' rates
onsite camping available
bath house with showers onsite
free wifi available at office
excellent bbq at the red pig inn in nearby ottawa, oh

cons:
must descend wood stairs or gravel driveway to access waterside docks
must ascend the same after dives are done
if crowded (on weekends), campsite availability could be limited
if crowded (on weekends), visibility could be limited

looking forward to visiting soon!

1  Thank John K
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I originally did my open water here in 2006 when I was 17. The fill station filled me less than the standard 10% + or -.. I had a 2700 psi tank. Somehow the manager/owner found out about it and then blamed me for the short fill. I had to deal with him calling me out in front of a bunch of people. Basically saying that he was right and I was wrong- I even checked my tank on multiple gauges: Gilboa Quarry was wrong. Not a professional at all. Very uncalled for. Not a nice guy to deal with. Unprofessional in my opinion. That experience has left a tainted taste for me. After talking with other scuba divers in Michigan, that is the reputation that this place is getting- hard to deal with. I might go back for fun, but I choose deliberately to not deal with places that do not have customer service. I was back in 2013 and I didn't see any weird stuff going on. Maybe they have new management or the current tamed down. Overall, I am on the fence about this place.

3  Thank Miguel W
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We did a deep diving course at Gilboa in July 2013. It was on a weekend so the platforms and campgroup was fairly crowded. This wasn't a huge issue and the wait for refilled tanks was not long. However, with everyone entering at the same point, the viability near the platforms was pretty poor. I'd recommend going during the week when it's less crowded.

Otherwise, it was a very fun experience, with 38 degree F water below the second thermocline. Swimming through the planes and helicopter was fun and it's a totally different diving experience than in the Caribbean.