“Nice quarry, POOR MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Gilboa Quarry

Gilboa Quarry
Midland, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Nice quarry, POOR MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I dove this weekend, looking for a fun time diving with my friends. Upon first arriving at the dive are the owner Mike, yelled at me when I went to pull into my unloading area. Telling me to back in not nose in. That was a good tip except for the yelling, what an angry man he is! Next when I pulled out of the unloading spot his young male employee waved me down and said I was speeding, yes going more than 5 mph. I was driving maybe 10 mph tops. I asked where the speed limit signs were he said there is one at the entrance to the quarry. Never mind that they cruise all around in their golf cart going well above 5 mph. On top of all this was a new rule was pulled from the air, no parking at the dive area next to the quarry, too busy, too many people, too congested, only can only be used by people camping. Well I can understand this if they are really busy except that there were maybe a maximum of 10 people at the quarry diving all day long. Gee I wonder where his handicapped parking area is, oh that's right he doesn't have one!

For $25.00 and a 3.5 hour drive to get to this quarry I won't be back....ever!!! If the owner is so pained with owning the operation and working there perhaps he should find another job. No point in making the rest of the world suffer because he's angry. I went there for a good time and Mike the manager was having what is probably his typical day being a grouch.

So go ahead and be grouchy, I'll find any other place to enjoy my time and spend my $$. Should Gilboa Quarry ever get a new owner, I'll gladly try it again.

Visited July 2014
7 Thank alvette2003

Oakville, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“The Apartment is run down.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We rented the apartment on site at the Quarry as it is a 6 hour drive from where we live. The Apartment rents for $85.00 per night.

We were shocked at what we saw when we walked up the stairs to the entrance. First, the deck doesn't have any railing on the side facing the water. That was surprising.

Walking in we were stunned. Exposed wiring, no smoke detector, the registers are missing in two locations so you look right down into the washrooms below.

As we started to use the place we found food and alcohol left over from the previous person there, one towel for three of us (we asked for more ... they never arrived). We also found no lids for the pots, no coffee maker, no kettle and this was awesome - no forks !

The electrical outlet didn't work near the sink, where you would plug in the toaster. The tv didn't work. The mattress collapsed in the middle.

We had booked three nights and left after two.

Mike, who clearly had not been informed of the above issues until we went through the apartment with him when we were leaving, did refund us the night we didn't use. That was fair.

The quarry is a nice place to dive - we live in a better place to dive, so were a bit surprised that so many good things are said of Gilboa. It likely is a good place to learn technical diving in a safe environment.

Bring a wagon with you for your gear as you will generally have to take it a long way before you can set up.

If we were to return we would stay at a hotel in the area and go to the Quarry for the day.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank BooWho3
Maineville, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Find another quarry - Rude Management”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just got back from this dreary spot near Findlay, OH, (June 2014). The operator dubs it "Diving at its Best". Really? Have they been anywhere else beyond this mud puddle? Okay, its fine to get your open water cert as Cancun is a little hard to get to on a weekend. However the jack%$$ running it this weekend was rude to his customers, snapped at them for being "behind" (what???) Even though he was late to start the crazy check-in! The area is a confusing array of junk with little organization. If you go to watch a friend or help your kids get a cert, you will be charged $6 to do nothing! Huh? If you like being barked at and treated like you are a bother, then come here. Otherwise support someone the appreciates your business. I agree with Miguel W...Mgt is a lying bunch of criminals.

Visited June 2014
5 Thank Tom Y
Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“excellent dive site for training and fun”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

gilboa is a dive quarry, ideal for training and for "fun diving". i was hesitant about doing my open water certification dives here, but i'm glad i listened to the folks at rec diving, my dive shop. it was, and is, a super experience to dive here.

pros:
close to home (southeast michigan)
dive platforms at 25 feet: ideal for training new divers
dive sites down to 130+ feet: good for deep and dry suit training
good place to practice swim throughs: plane, helicopter, tubes
nitrox available
lots of fish: trout, bass, sunfish, coy and paddlefish
drury inn (in findlay, 17 miles away) offers special divers' rates
onsite camping available
bath house with showers onsite
free wifi available at office
excellent bbq at the red pig inn in nearby ottawa, oh

cons:
must descend wood stairs or gravel driveway to access waterside docks
must ascend the same after dives are done
if crowded (on weekends), campsite availability could be limited
if crowded (on weekends), visibility could be limited

looking forward to visiting soon!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank John K
Belleville, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“It is your typical dive quarry. Management is unprofessional.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I originally did my open water here in 2006 when I was 17. The fill station filled me less than the standard 10% + or -.. I had a 2700 psi tank. Somehow the manager/owner found out about it and then blamed me for the short fill. I had to deal with him calling me out in front of a bunch of people. Basically saying that he was right and I was wrong- I even checked my tank on multiple gauges: Gilboa Quarry was wrong. Not a professional at all. Very uncalled for. Not a nice guy to deal with. Unprofessional in my opinion. That experience has left a tainted taste for me. After talking with other scuba divers in Michigan, that is the reputation that this place is getting- hard to deal with. I might go back for fun, but I choose deliberately to not deal with places that do not have customer service. I was back in 2013 and I didn't see any weird stuff going on. Maybe they have new management or the current tamed down. Overall, I am on the fence about this place.

Visited June 2013