“Great diving!!!”
Review of Gilboa Quarry

Gilboa Quarry
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Had an awesome day diving at Gilboa quarry!!! Great underwater sites and lots of species of fish to view.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I gave this review a 1 star due to the owner Mike. If I was just rating the quarry to other quarries I have been to it alone is a 4-5.... I have been going to this quarry all summer to dive since I live in Ohio and really can't get anywhere else...! When I go I take my camper and family with me to hang out. If you have a family and non diving members of your family you should leave them at home. He charges 6 bucks to do absolutely nothing. As well as 10 bucks if you bring a pet with you..

I sprung for season pass which was around 200 bucks and after my issue this weekend I doubt I'll ever go back. Every time I have been there I have had a issue with the owner. First time it was firewood... absolutely do not bring wood with you!!! He will rip your head off if he sees it. I didn't even plan on using the wood I had with me. I only had it because I just came from a camping trip with my family and it was left over. He wants you to buy expensive bundles of wood he has. The next time I was up there we had a issue with a air fill (which are ridiculous priced) if he would have just came to me and said something it could have been handled a lot easier. Next time i called said i would be close to 10 which is when they close and to make sure if i was there at 10 it would be ok.. i live over 2 hours away and with a 4yr old that has to pee all the time and traffic on friday night and a detour i arrived at the gate at 10:07.. he was still on site working on some wood tank holder but u would have thought i pulled in at 3am beat on his door and woke up his sleeping baby. After he scolded me for 15 mins about 10pm is closing time and next year he will have a gate and if i was one minute late he would lock me out a d not lwt me in till the next morning. I find this crazy being a small business owner myself being customers ( me) pay him without me and others he wouldnt have money. And this last time he decided it was a good idea to grab a off duty police officer which I'm friends with take me in his office shut the door and get in my face pointing and screaming at me about the air fill i referred to above. After i asked him why he was charging me 3 days electric for 2 days of camping. And why he was charging me for my son which i already bought his pass. I told him to get his finger out of my face after he continued i felt like it was the best option to leave and not come back...after more screaming and yelling. Now this doesn't intimidate me but for a avg person this could have been really bad. i love diving there because all of my friends are there but i refuse to be treated like that and robbed every weekend....

Make sure you look at the prices and ad them up yourself.because if u don't he will get you. You won't get a receipt because his business is cash only no credit cards no nothing but cash he sticks in a Lil box. Good thing is he doesn't charge tax i guess... lol everything is over priced if you want to feed the fish it's 50 cents for a plastic bag about 20% full if that... air fills are expensive $9 , entry to dive or to even snorkel is $25 then u have to have a bunch of crap if u snorkel that he charges. My 4 year old wanted to get in the water and see a fish that was absolutely forbidden unless I paid the $25 got a wet suit, and fins and a floating device from him... so in all it was about 35 bucks if my son wanted to get in the water for 3 mins... I'm good with that...

Bottom line the quarry is nice and if your stuck in Ohio and want something to do its not a bad place.... the owner trumps that he is a con artist, crook, @$$h0le just to name a few... the other few employees he has are quite nice if you are lucky to avoid mike... there are tons of dumb rules he walks around like Hitler telling you if you do something wrong...he has no people skills and can not run a business. It is in organized at all... make sure you mark your tank because I have seen him take a customers tank that was newer and try to give them a older one like it this guy was lucky to catch it. You have been warned in a lot of these reviews so if it goes south you was warned.

In closing I will dive in Circleville twin quarry from now on its not as deep and clear but it's a place to dive when I can't get to fl or the Caribbean and above all the owner there is nice polite and will bend over backwards for you. And that is the type of business I want to support with my hard earned money. Not one like this run by this man! Now if he sells it I'll be back for sure and I'm sure it will be packed again but until this you can't pay me to go there!

7  Thank Fbohanan
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I dove this weekend, looking for a fun time diving with my friends. Upon first arriving at the dive are the owner Mike, yelled at me when I went to pull into my unloading area. Telling me to back in not nose in. That was a good tip except for the yelling, what an angry man he is! Next when I pulled out of the unloading spot his young male employee waved me down and said I was speeding, yes going more than 5 mph. I was driving maybe 10 mph tops. I asked where the speed limit signs were he said there is one at the entrance to the quarry. Never mind that they cruise all around in their golf cart going well above 5 mph. On top of all this was a new rule was pulled from the air, no parking at the dive area next to the quarry, too busy, too many people, too congested, only can only be used by people camping. Well I can understand this if they are really busy except that there were maybe a maximum of 10 people at the quarry diving all day long. Gee I wonder where his handicapped parking area is, oh that's right he doesn't have one!

For $25.00 and a 3.5 hour drive to get to this quarry I won't be back....ever!!! If the owner is so pained with owning the operation and working there perhaps he should find another job. No point in making the rest of the world suffer because he's angry. I went there for a good time and Mike the manager was having what is probably his typical day being a grouch.

So go ahead and be grouchy, I'll find any other place to enjoy my time and spend my $$. Should Gilboa Quarry ever get a new owner, I'll gladly try it again.

7  Thank alvette2003
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We rented the apartment on site at the Quarry as it is a 6 hour drive from where we live. The Apartment rents for $85.00 per night.

We were shocked at what we saw when we walked up the stairs to the entrance. First, the deck doesn't have any railing on the side facing the water. That was surprising.

Walking in we were stunned. Exposed wiring, no smoke detector, the registers are missing in two locations so you look right down into the washrooms below.

As we started to use the place we found food and alcohol left over from the previous person there, one towel for three of us (we asked for more ... they never arrived). We also found no lids for the pots, no coffee maker, no kettle and this was awesome - no forks !

The electrical outlet didn't work near the sink, where you would plug in the toaster. The tv didn't work. The mattress collapsed in the middle.

We had booked three nights and left after two.

Mike, who clearly had not been informed of the above issues until we went through the apartment with him when we were leaving, did refund us the night we didn't use. That was fair.

The quarry is a nice place to dive - we live in a better place to dive, so were a bit surprised that so many good things are said of Gilboa. It likely is a good place to learn technical diving in a safe environment.

Bring a wagon with you for your gear as you will generally have to take it a long way before you can set up.

If we were to return we would stay at a hotel in the area and go to the Quarry for the day.

3  Thank BooWho3
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just got back from this dreary spot near Findlay, OH, (June 2014). The operator dubs it "Diving at its Best". Really? Have they been anywhere else beyond this mud puddle? Okay, its fine to get your open water cert as Cancun is a little hard to get to on a weekend. However the jack%$$ running it this weekend was rude to his customers, snapped at them for being "behind" (what???) Even though he was late to start the crazy check-in! The area is a confusing array of junk with little organization. If you go to watch a friend or help your kids get a cert, you will be charged $6 to do nothing! Huh? If you like being barked at and treated like you are a bother, then come here. Otherwise support someone the appreciates your business. I agree with Miguel W...Mgt is a lying bunch of criminals.

5  Thank Tom Y