“Burnt steaks again...”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Brookville, IN
“Burnt steaks again...”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is our 2nd time eating at Dakota's. The happy hour $1 beers & the fried onion appetizers were the highlight. The $21 oz ribeyes were cooked ok on the inside but burnt crispy on the outside. Out of the 6 of us, 4 had steak & they were all burnt. One had ribs & they looked like they were left over from the day before. For $120 meal for 6, it was a big disappointment. This happened the last time we were there...They must have the fire on the grill turned up too much or something. Don't think we'll be going back except maybe for the happy hour.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Hoosiernana7

Sidney, Ohio, United States
“Nothing authentic”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stopped here before going to a game at Miami University. The interior was kitchy, fake Old West motif. None of the food could have been prepared there...it was all food-service quality. The blooming onion was sitting in grease and the cheesy fries were made with fries like from the frozen food section of the supermarket, with very little cheese and some bacon tossed on them. My dinner companions said their steaks were good but they were puny. The wait staff was friendly but I think our server thought he was working in a 5 star restaurant.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Mark M
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Pretty Interior”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Had dinner tonight at this newest Oxford restaurant. They were busy but we were seated promptly. Very pretty interiors. Our service was great, lots of staff and menu had lots of choices. Food was good but not special. I had the pasta dish with sausage and peppers. Tasteful but a little dry. Needed more sauce. My Caesar salad and cowgirl margarita were not good. The dressing tasted nothing like Caesar and the drink had no flavor. My husband had prime rib, potato & salad. All good and cooked as ordered but nothing different from other restaurants. We will probably go back after they have had some time to establish their kitchen/seasoning. Nice to have another dining option in town.

Visited January 2014
Oxford, Ohio
“Fine eating”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We ate a New Year's Eve dinner at a busy Dakota's. There was a 20-min wait, but we spent time in the bar where we found good wines and a variety of brews. Dinner on a busy evening was not rushed, and the service was friendly. I enjoyed the special, an 8-oz prime, and others in our party, who had been there before, reordered ribs and found them again to their liking. I'd recommend this place to friends.

• Visited December 2013
Cincinnati, OH
“Instant mashed potatoes--really?!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

After three visits, There is no doubt in my mind that the Outback is far & away a much tastier & better deal. Of course, Oxford is a captured market & Dakota's is it's only steakhouse. Our steaks were always cooked improperly (visited three times)---way overdone. When I questioned the (unpleasant) instant mashed potatoes to the amiable server, he replied 'Oh no, they're from scratch'. I asked him to check & he sheepishly returned saying I was right. A steakhouse with instant spuds---really?! My lemon drop beverage was watery with no hint of spirits.
Dakota's serves a purpose in a college town full of casual eateries. The prices reflect that captured market.