“A memorable experience!”
Review of Rider's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Painesville
Rider's Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Painesville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I went here for dinner with another couple this past Christmas Eve. We live nearby but we'd never been here before (I'm not sure why) but we were looking for more of an upscale place and this was the only one I could find that would be open that evening. Every other place I checked closed after lunch. Rider's Inn is an old historic tavern that is 200 years old. On Christmas Eve the restaurant was beautiful lit with candles and everything was lovely. We were particularly pleased that the place was WARM since we're used to freezing in a lot of restaurants in December and my Christmas outfit wasn't the warmest. The atmosphere was lovely and the meal was fabulous. I had Beef Wellington and my husband had the Prime Rib. Everything was delicious. My only suggestion to the owners would be to please upgrade the silverware. The silverware was rather flimsy and didn't quite live up to expectations. My husband's steak knife was so bent that it looked as if someone had used it as a pry bar! Otherwise we were all quite pleased. We'll be making this one of our regular places from now on!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rider's Inn

Reviewed 9 December 2011

We had Sunday brunch at Rider's 1812 Inn this past Sunday and it was wonderful!

The atmosphere of Rider's is quaint and comfortable. Built in 1812, the inn is best known as a stop on the Underground Rail Road. In its earliest days, it served as a restaurant and inn along the busy Oregon Trail and secretly was a stop along the way to freedom for thousands of slaves. A light in the uppermost southern part of the building was a sign to slaves that they could find refuge in the basement of Rider's Inn. They entered through a wishing well and would hide in the basement, waiting for the cue that all was clear to pass through the tunnels (no longer safe to enter today) and get to awaiting ships along the Lake Erie coast to take them to Canada.

The selection of food was fantastic and everyting was delicious. We will definitely go again soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Very helpfull staff. Room was ok. The history of the inn is so interesting and Elaine is a fabulous story teller. The inns' location was excellant for driving to Cleveland for a play. Our room was quiet but beware of the band sometimes playing in the pub on certain nights.

1  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here while visiting Cleveland for our anniversary. We were there during October so we were fortunate to experience the Halloween fun! We booked on the night of their annual Halloween party in the Pub area, but we also attended their "Taleful Dinner," a roundtable dinner that includes ghost stories about the inn itself by the owner, and about the area by a local researcher. The food was plentiful and amazing. The owner and her staff/friends were so friendly and informative. The dinner also included a tour of the inn and a house psychic available for readings.

We dressed in costume to attend the pub party, which included a costume contest and live music. It was a very cozy and friendly experience. Our room was small but comfortable and perfect for us. We stayed in Courtney's corner. There were 2 double beds, a small flat-screen tv and a bathroom to be shared w/ the small room next door. The room stayed very warm overall. You could hear the noise from the pub below but most people stayed up late anyhow...except for us, but we were so tired we slept without any problems.

It is a BnB so a full, freshly-cooked breakfast was included in the morning.The price was very affordable and if you went to the pub, you could simply add your tab to you overall bill.

This was one of the best experiences w/ a BnB I've ever had and I would recommend this place to anyone! If you check out their website, they have many special events throughout the year. I will definitely be going back!

Reviewed 1 October 2011

The first time I was there I went with my daughter-in-law. We had an AWESOME dinner. So to be sure I was not mistaken, the second time was with hubby. He is super critic and can be difficult to please. We had the lamb for dinner which was perfect. The service was again excellent. We have been there a few other times with the food always perfect, for our palates. Tonight, October 1, 2011, hubby took me there for my birthday. One more time the meal was TERRIFIC, the server great, and the bartender with the server sang happy birthday with my drink. Fabulous onion rings which I forgot to mention. Enjoy your meals there. Prices are extraordinary in this day and age being quite reasonable. I do not do stairs so we would not stay there. I did see the haunted room on tv. Go and have great food and service.

Room Tip: We did not stay there so can not judge.
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I would recommend a stay at the Rider's Inn for history buffs, or folks looking for a rustic stay.
The Service
Elaine the Inn Keeper is friendly and eager to swap stories both in hearing about your trip, and about the Inn itself. We arrived just after 9pm having booked the stay online a few weeks beforehand, upon arrival we were the only car in the lot, all the lights were off and the Inn was locked up. We had to call to have Elaine let us in...maybe we should have called to say when we would be arriving. When we got inside all of the lights were out which made us feel like we should just go to our rooms and retire.
The Room
The room was dated and in need of some cosmetic repairs / updating. There were some stains on the blankets on the bed. We arrived in a bit of a heat wave and there was no air on - only large fans in the hallways - we turned on the window air conditioners to get comfortable for the nights sleep. There was a major thunder storm that night which added to the ambiance of the stories of the old inn. It was not the most comfortable of sleeps but we did choose to stay here for the charm, not for the sleep number bed.
Amenities
Elaine made us a quick breakfast in the moring (scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, toast, and strawberries) and gave us each a cup of coffee before we hit the road. The wifi does not work.
Location
The location is beautiful, as is the exterior if the Inn, but there is nothing much around the inn to see if you're looking for touristy sites.
Recommendations
Call ahead if you're going to be arriving past dinner.
Make sure you know what the agreed upon room rate was, we were charged $25 more for the night than we had been told via email. (but its hard to call someone on that when you're the only one staying and they just made you breakfast)

Room Tip: If arriving late be sure to call to confirm what time you will be there to be sure the lights are on...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Built in 1812, this multi-purpose inn is rich in history - just ask the owner and she'll tell you the who, what, where and when of Rider's Inn, the area and the state of Ohio.

Our party reserved three rooms - all upstairs. Each was eclectic ... appointed with a mix of antiques and modern furniture. We couldn't hang our clothes in the closet of our room because it was used to store extra cots. Since we were only there for overnight, it was no big deal. Don't expect top grade bed linens and towels or toiletries. There was only a half full bottle of liquid hand soap in the bathroom. I was given the WIFI password but it wouldn't connect. The window unit air conditioners are located next to the bed (in all three rooms) and it was difficult to adjust the room temperature for sleeping. Overall, the rooms were clean and served their purpose.

We enjoyed sitting in the pub to visit with each other. After our long drive in the car, it would've been nice to sit around in the couch area but it was blocked by a large table. We sat at a table and ordered cocktails from a very friendly barkeep. For dinner, we walked to the other side of the inn and was shown into a traditionally decorated dining room. Service was excellent - food was a bit pricey but delicious so we didn't mind. The desserts are homemade - go for it - you won't be disappointed!

After dinner, we (6 of us) sat outside on the deck. Rider's Inn is on a busy street so it's noisy outside. The deck is large with several picnic tables and a couple rocking chairs. After awhile, we went back into the pub.

Breakfast was a bit different - I was expecting a nicely set table, however; we were served outside on the picnic table which had cigarette ashes all over it until the owner brushed them off. Breakfast food was good except for the pecan rolls. I also didn't appreciate the family dog begging for food at the table even though the owner did give us a plate of bacon to feed it.

We love staying at Inns and B&Bs - every one has a different approach to the experience. The folks at Rider's Inn are laid back and not very fussy about details. If we have to visit Painesville again, we will eat dinner at The Rider's Inn and maybe stay overnight.

Room Tip: Rm #10 was the largest of the three we reserved.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Painesville
Steele Mansion Inn & Gathering Hub
Residence Inn Cleveland Mentor
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Painesville
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor

Been to Rider's Inn? Share your experiences!