“Disappointed”

Quail Hollow Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Painesville
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We have stayed at this resort several times in the past but we won't be back. The rooms are okay, but in need of some attention. Our room was tired looking and nothing special, the upholstery on one chair was torn and the other chair needed to be cleaned.
Because we had driven over twelve hours that day we decided to have a casual dinner in the lounge. It really was very disappointing, the service was poor and the food to say the least, was disappointing. It took a long time to be waited on ( there were only six other people in the lounge and two of them were sitting at the bar having drinks. When the waitress did show up she acted as if she was a inconvience to have to wait on us. She was not pleased that she had to explain what the specials were, and when I asked if the menu was the same as the restaurant, she responded as if I should know that. I told her we travelers and we were not familiar with the two menus. My husband and I usually leave at least a 20% tip, not this time!
We had to check out early the next morning, and I mean early it was around 4am, there were two people at the front, one in the office and one at the desk. I was told that it was too early to get our bill and that we would receive it in the mail, still waiting. We have traveled alot in our lives, never have we had this happen, we usually get a early start.
We have recommened this Hotel to friends and family, no more. In fact we first stayed because of a recommendation.
More and more people depend on reviews when making choices as to where to stay or eat, it can be a good place for constructive criticism.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank snow---1968
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we did not meet your expectations when you recently stayed with us. Quail Hollow Resort is always striving to make our guests happier and more comfortable when they visit and comments like yours do assist us when training our staff. I apologize for your experience and hope that you do return soon. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with your travel plans the next time you are in town.

There are newer reviews for Quail Hollow Resort

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here one night. The hotel is ok, nothing special and perhaps a little dreary. The room was fine and the bed comfortable. I had a continental breakfast which cost only $7 which I thought was excellent value. There is a golf course right next door so I might take my clubs next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are consistently discussing ways to update the resort to make it more enjoyable for our guests. We would be delighted if you would come and golf next time. If you don’t remember your clubs or don’t want to travel with them the country club does rent both left and right handed sets. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Always heard what a nice place Quail Hollow was but was disappointed with our stay. Check in foyer area was very nice, pretty woodwork. The rooms are basic. We had a room with 2 double beds because all the king beds were reserved. To me, double beds are like a twin bed, not big enough for 2 people. Beds were very uncomfortable and hard, uncomfortable pillows, worn sheets. Carpet looks as though it needed vacuumed, big stain on carpet. We called the service guy to look at heater because it was so loud, but he said that was the way it was suppose to be. Nice marble tile in bathroom. Pool area was great with nice hot tub. Really enjoyed the indoor pool but probably would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Right off the freeway, close to restaurants and bars, pricey. Looking at other reviews, maybe we ju...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

I appreciate your comments about your recent stay with us. I apologize that we were fully committed with our King Rooms when you were here. We do try to accommodate our guest’s requests however sometimes we are unable to. I am glad that you enjoyed the pool area and do hope that you decide to return. Our guests are very important to us and I will be happy to assist you personally with your next reservation.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I was one of six adults that went to the Grand Ballroom for Easter Brunch. The items available were outstanding for the buffet! We arrived at 10:30 and were seated immediately, I believe it had started around that time. My daughter and I walked down one side of the tables and a female manager kept snapping at the adults that were closing the lids to the food items. The way I saw it the people were being courteous and not allowing the food to get cold since it wasn't very busy. She verbally reprimanded the customers that did this. My daughter opened the lid to one of them and the lid fell out of the bracket. Someone could have easily been hurt from this and I brought it to her attention. She was on the other side of the tables when this happened and you guessed it, she was busy reprimanding another senior male for closing a lid. She replied that she knew the lid was broken and if it was left open it wouldn't fall apart. I have an idea genius, how about pulling the unit out of service or put a handle on the end so it doesn't fall apart again or since you are so hell bent on the lids being left open...remove it! Later she walked up to the sausage and bacon pan wanting to change out the bacon. Instead of waiting for me to get my food or suggesting that I allow her to change it out so that I could have fresh bacon, she said hang on, I have to change this. This lady was the surely not the epitome of class!
Our waitress was elderly and probably was capable of only handling 3 tables. Not sure how many she had, but once a second table came into her section things started slowing down. She was nice, but...
They did have a lady walking around in a bunny outfit and that was a classy touch.
The bus staff basically was there to clean tables. When I worked there in the 70's, we humped for side tips. Telling the customer that getting more juice and water for the table is the waitresses job doesn't cut it. I had a $5 in my hand if thinking that she would go above and beyond. Maybe this girl comes from a very wealthy family?
Two male managers stood near our table and talked. Never offered to help at tables, never walked around to ask the patrons how their meals were or wish them a happy Easter. I did hear them complaining about how long it was taking for the customers checks to get processed.
Our waitress took my card, 15 minutes later I knew by the look on her face that she forgot. She also had the check book in her apron still! I kid you not, another 15 minutes went by and she brought the check. I asked what took so long and she said a new girl was processing the credit cards and it was taking forever. Now the managers know this, but these two guys would rather stand between us and the dessert table and complain instead of doing something about it. I walked past the area of the check processing while going to the restroom, it was a room with glass walls and 5 women standing in there with checks in their hands. Who knows what they were doing.
Anyway, 20% was the gratuity for poor service, great food and managers that I'm not quite sure why they were there other than to badger the customers. I still feel bad seeing senior men being reprimanded for closing the lids. When we left its safe to say that at least 75 people were waiting to be seated and there were empty tables, so who knows what al the problems were that day.
The next day I check my banking and find that an additional 20% was tacked on to my check. I called and spoke to the accountant. Apparently this is a customary practice of this hotel now. It was explained to me that I might have felt that I needed to tip even more that the 20% I had already left. I asked the accountant how many times he feels he should leave more than 20% for a tip and believe it or not, he didn't have an answer for that question. I told him that the service was bad enough for brunch and they should be happy anyone agreed to pay them 20%. He offered to connect me to the manager of food services and I said no thanks, I'll probably have to talk to one of the ones that were the problem at brunch. I told him that I left an email on their website and we'll see if they get back to me. Easter was March 31, 2013 and it is now April 9, 2013. I think it is safe to say no one there really cares to get back to me!
I have lived near Quail my whole life and worked there in the late 70's. Of course this is different ownership and it shows.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor. I apologize that no one followed up with you sooner. I can assure you that all of the on line inquiries come directly to my e-mail and I am so sorry that I missed yours. I see that not only did we not meet your expectations; we let you down as one of our guests. We have discussed the difficulties encountered during Easter Brunch and I can assure you that we have taken steps for it to not happen again. The servers have been retrained and the staff has been spoken to about professionalism while on the floor. Please know that all comments that we receive from our guests, good and bad, are shared with the staff as a whole and used to make our resort better. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss the matter further.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel was comfortable, clean, and very nice looking. We checked in about 8 pm and were glad to find the pool was open until 11 pm so we could swim (4 adults and one child). We enjoyed a good night's sleep on the comfortable beds and I like that there is a sink and mirror separate from the shower/toilet area. We enjoyed the Bath & Body Works products in the bathroom. I would say the room was a bit small for a resort expectation, and we were disappointed that there was no fridge. The next morning we enjoyed the breakfast buffet ($12.95 was a bit high but there was plenty to eat). We didn't have time to explore whether or not there were other activities as we were just passing through and don't expect to stop here again. But if you're looking for a comfortable bed, you will find it here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for the comments about your stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed yourself. We are always looking for ways to improve our guests experience and a refrigerator in all of the rooms is something that has been requested frequently. If you come to visit next time please take advantage of pre purchasing breakfast tickets for the buffet at $10 per person and we would be happy to assist you with area activities that you will enjoy. Thank you again for your feedback and please let us know if we can do anything for you in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We've stayed at this hotel several times in the past few months since our daughter and her family just moved to Chardon, OH which is just a few minutes away from here. The hotel is in a wonderful, quiet country setting and has a golf course. The rooms are very large and well appointed and also have large flat screen TVs. The beds are extremely comfortable and the bathroom is spacious and well lit.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

We thank you for being a continued guest with us. I am happy to hear that you have been enjoying yourself. If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable please let one of our staff members know as we are always willing to help. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on our resort and hope to continue to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

It's a hotel with a restaurant, not what I would expect from a "Resort". Room: pen stains in chair, another had a tear in it. It was clean but no mini fridge, mircrowave...just a room. Nothing planned for children, lounge doesn't have live music or music station...you get elevator music playing. Over priced food for the resort. Step it up...if you aren't going to have things to do in your resort for family or even the parents then make the rooms worth wanting to sit in all night. Business trip- perfect hotel! They do have a nice outside pool area but for winter you have an indoor pool with bleach smell and lack of chairs. Like I said -business or event hotel....not a weekend get a way (will be bored)!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank MELLISSA H
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Thank you very much for the feedback. I understand your concerns and can assure you we are continually working to improve our resort for not only our business travelers but also our families and leisure travelers. Next time you stay please let the front desk know that you are interested in “kid friendly” activities in the area and they will be happy to assist you with activities during your weekend getaway.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Painesville
Comfort Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
#1 of 5 in Austinburg

Been to Quail Hollow Resort? Share your experiences!