“What a dive!”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Perrysburg
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Not as advertised. Wifi did not work even after contacting the front desk. This review was written on 4-G. The rooms are old, dirty and very dated. Seven foot ceilings and a "hobbit" tub? Really? It is what it is. If you do not expect much, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Find one elsewhere. For the price. It was a mistake I will not repeat.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
MeredithD277, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you had an unsatisfactory stay. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we may discuss your experience.

meredith.hixpburg@gmail.com or 419.874.3101

Reviewed 15 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights and found this Holiday Inn Express a pleasant and comfortable place to stay. The hotel is a bit hard to get in and out of: it sits back off the road, but is clearly signed, and there is no left turn out of the complex onto the main road. Staff were friendly and helpful - always smiling. The rooms are large, clean, and the bed was very comfortable. We stayed in a handicapped-equipped room and were first surprised how far it was from the lobby - we later discovered that there was handicapped parking out the back side of the hotel just a few rooms from ours. The handicapped facilities in the room were well-thought out and helpful. The breakfast buffet was a step above most "free" breakfasts and included hot items each day as well as pastries, cold cereal, yogurt, and fruit. Juices and excellent coffee were available as well The only real complaint is that the ice machine was located a long distance at the far side of the pool from the hall were our room was located. With the breakfast taken into account, I judge the value to be average.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DelMarVaJohn

Thanks so much for your review! I'm happy to hear you had an enjoyable & comfortable stay! I'm glad our signage was helpful in finding our hotel, as we are set back from the main road. I'm also glad you enjoyed our Express Start breakfast & found our staff to be approachable! I apologize that the location of the ice machine was an inconvenience. Please know that our staff is always willing to assist you, and are happy to deliver ice or whatever you may need to make your stay more pleasant!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Maybe I'm a tough grader. Nevertheless, although there are many positives, there are enough negatives in my mind (comparing to 2.5 to 3 star hotels with similar pricing and features) that I could not give a higher rating. I got a deal on the rate through another site by picking a 3 star hotel in this area instead of a specific hotel. If I'd paid the regular price, I'd have been very disappointed. It was well worth what I paid though.

The main negative for me was the lack of an elevator for access to the second floor. The open and wide staircase is a lovely feature, but a problem for getting luggage up and down, not to mention people who have limited ability in this area. The bottom of the stairs are so close to the front entrance that it is impossible to use them without triggering the automatic door openers, which is just silly. Somewhat mitigating this was the manager on duty offering to carry our luggage up to our room.

Another issue is the lack of electrical outlets by the bed. While having a power strip screwed to the top of the desk provides many outlets, that doesn't make up for them being on (for me) the wrong side of the room. There was one duplex outlet at one side of the king size bed. At the very least, there should be one such outlet on each side of the bed, preferably a quad. In my case, table lamp, clock radio, phone charger, and CPAP machine. For my wife, table lamp, phone charger, computer power (she likes to read in bed, and the 2 hour battery in her laptop is insufficient), and CPAP machine. While the manager cheerfully loaned me two power strips, it took chaining them together to reach from the outlet to the other side of the bed.

Another negative is the lack of a real thermostat. This hotel still has the old style controls on the unit in the exterior wall, while most others in this class have rewired them to a wall mounted digital thermostat.

Still another is that the refrigerator is not isolated from the floor. The vibration of the motor is carried through the floor to the bed, even more than the HVAC unit. Simply putting some kind of rubber pad under the refrigerator could solve this problem for a few bucks per room.

My last complaint is that the pancake machine was having issues. I've never seen one of these before, and now I know why. It seems great in theory: press a button and the machine makes two pancakes on demand that come out the side. But really, the waffle makers used by most other hotels in this class are mechanically simpler and more reliable.

On the other hand there are many positives about this property. The lobby and room were very clean. The bed was comfortable and had four comfy king-size pillows. The room was large enough that a couch was provided in addition to the usual desk and chair. The signal on the HDTV was excellent. The WiFi worked very well. The bathroom was clean, with plenty of hot water at good pressure, and plenty of towels were provided. An iron and ironing board was provided, along with a hair dryer. There was a small refrigerator/freezer (although no microwave). There was a coffee maker and coffee (but no tea). The fitness center has two ellipticals, two treadmills, and a stair machine. The pool and spa seemed clean and well-maintained. The breakfast area was unusually spacious with lots of seating. There was an adequate variety of items offered for breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Bring not just a power strip or two, bring extension cords. And pack more small bags instead of one...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MeredithD277, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Please accept my apologies for the areas that were disappointing to you. While the lack of an elevator is not ideal, I am happy to hear the manager offered to carry your luggage. We are always happy to do so. We can also get you a first floor room, so please know that is an option as well. I appreciate your input & am looking into the other issues you mentioned. It honestly helps us get better, which provides a better stay for our guests. That is what we strive to do!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We only stayed one night on the way home from Tennessee, but we were greeted graciously, checked in quickly even though we didn't have a reservation, and were given all the information we would need to have an enjoyable stay. Close to a number of restaurants, rooms are very clean and quiet, pool area looked very nice, breakfast had plenty of fresh choices in a lovely eating area, and beds were comfy ... would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you had such a great experience! Our close proximity to so many restaurants works out well for our guests. I'm happy you enjoyed our breakfast options & that you got a good night's rest! We hope to see you next time you're in the area!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

There's another Holiday Inn across the street so careful not to confuse the two. GPS didn't quite get us to the right spot. Front desk personnel are courteous; our request for a king sized bed was accomodated. Didn't see elevators, but there was only one floor to carry luggage up. Popular spot for large trucks and still found ample parking. Initial impression of the room was smallish, but well lit and kicking back in the recliner made it seem less so. Building has some character to it - wooden staircase rails, hallway ramps, pool with deep end, mirrored fitness room, roomy hot tub with seat surfaces friendly to swimsuits. Not all rooms have the same amenities, but our shower stall was cramped. Managed by standing sideways or putting my arm in the soap dish. Best thing was breakfast! Huge area to accomodate guests, generous offerings, and well maintained by a friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MeredithD277, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thanks so much for your review! I'm sorry to hear that it was difficult finding our property. The Holiday Inn French Quarter across the street is our sister property, and is also an excellent hotel! I'm happy to hear the front desk staff was able to fulfill your room request! Since we don't have an elevator, we are always more than happy to give you a room on the first floor or assist you with your luggage anytime. Thank you for mentioning the character our hotel has. I'm glad it added to your stay & made it an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

This is a tough review to do. If the room rate was half I would have rated this a three.
Was is cleaner, seemed to be for condition. Was the staff friendly, not overtly.
If I knew I was on borrowed time with a worn out facility, you should be smiling from ear to ear.
Note to staff, you obviously have to work harder with what you have. I'm truly sorry for the negative honest review.
You obviously work for a real cheap property owner and I feel sorry for you.
The problem is that the property is way over priced and really doesn't have any business being a IHG property.
It's at best a lower end "other" brand stay. $45-50 rate.
I'm not trying to be mean but this is not acceptable and shame on IHG Standards for not yanking the name off this place.
The owner needs to invest some serious money here.
Until then, drastically reduce the rate and sell yourself as a retro museum property.
There is a brand new IHG property in Maumee (where I wish I was right now) priced at same rate.
The IHG property behind this "express" is $30 -40 cheaper fresh, friendly and modern. The breakfast bar does not warrant the added cost. This area had cracked walls and a different era then room furnishings but pre 2000 look.
The furniture in the room (with exception to bedding) is from the 80-90's? Not even thrift store quality.
The doors have the old brass screwed in numbers over wood plaques.
Tiny little room and very small dumpy bathroom with slow drains.
Safety concerns: the old chain link second lock (seriously ?) and all the extension cords (have you checked with fire department on that one?)
You're not as bad as the Sioux City Iowa IHG but close.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Liana C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay with us. We always try to ensure our guests have a positive experience, and unfortunately it appears we were not sucessful in your case. I would love an opportunity to discuss this in further detail so that I may make amends & restore your faith in us & our hotel. Please email me at meredith.hixpburg@gmail.com or contact me at the hotel 419.874.3101. Again, I am very sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience & hope that I get a chance to speak to you soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Staff seemed friendly, lobby area looks nice, and probably the best thing were the pillows - king size and so soft. But the bathroom: stained grout - looked like black mold, the bathroom is so small (vanity) items were falling off the vanity while I was getting ready. Bed was hard and not very comfy, but as I said I loved the pillows. Biggest complaint, NOISE. We happened to get a room with a door - adjoining the room next to us - we could hear everything, as if they were in OUR room - especially their TV, it made for a very awkward night. We could even hear people in the hallway, more than we've experienced at other hotels. As I said it was okay, but some issues should be addressed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Renee S,

Thank you for your feedback. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, thank you for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D