“poor management skills with customer relation”

Candlewood Suites Perrysburg
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Perrysburg
Mississauga
“poor management skills with customer relation”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

To arrive at our 5 week Florida house rental in Venice we had 2 stop-over nights at Hotels and 2 nights at Hotels en route back to Toronto. All hotels were booked ahead of time and all of them worked out well where we wood stay again on our next travels. The exception was Candlewood Suites in Perrysburg, Ohio which left a sour note with us and we will avoid this hotel chain in the future.
Again, we had booked ahead and accepted the higher than usual rates, assuming that a suite should perhaps be better value.
Our room turned out to be just regular size compared with other Hotel rooms. There was a cooking stove and a large refrigerator, pots, cutlery and dishes which are nice for a longer stay, but of no use for an overnight stay.
Breakfast was not offered in the morning so we had to drive to a near-by restaurant.
For the queen- size bed there was barely room to squeeze by the wall of the washroom on one side, not convenient at all.
The windows are not meant to open for fresh air and we had to make do with the heating-cooling air circulation unit and fan noise. Further noise came from the refrigerator, both not ideal for a peaceful night
When we arrived I was asked for my credit Card. After they charged the card, they realized that they made a mistake as they had charged the card already at pre-booking. So they credited my card, but with the Canadian and US $ exchange resulted in currency exchange costs.They also left a dog charge of 25.00 not credited, but we had paid at pre-booking. These are small amounts but I didn't cause them, they did.
Back in Toronto I received my Credit Card Statement and noticed that the credit was missing.
I sent an e-mail to question the missing credit ---and weeks went by with no answer.
I sent 3 more follow up e-mails -- nothing. Finally I called and received an e-mail address for
Darshana Parekh, I was told that she operates in a managing position there.
She promptly responded to my e-mail and she fully understood and agreed to their mistake, except the credit never came. I sent her a copy of my statement, but she still insisted that she had processed the credit. After I asked her to check her Master Card records for proof it seems that it was not worth any further effort by her.
I guess her management skills are limited and at a level not suitable for maintaining a Hotel's good reputation and positive customer relation.

Room Tip: windows cannot be opened therefore you have to make due with AC-heat and or fan air circulation..
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Heider.mr F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Perrysburg, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Dear Heider.mr F

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we are truly sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We also regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received.

I have taken note of your comments regarding the level of service you received and this will be discussed with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
North Liberty, Iowa, USA
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

Large room and very clean. However, these are more geared towards longer term stays as there is no swimming pool nor is there any breakfast facilities. All rooms are set with refrig, microwave, stove, dishwasher and even tableware and silverware. Good size bathrooms and nice work (desk) area and lounging areas in each room. Comfortable beds. Very clean. Long term stays have less frequent room service.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Buddo46
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

Continue to enjoy the wonderful staff! Shawnee, head of housekeeping, has demonstrated the warmest most guest oriented behavior of any person at any hotel I have stayed in over the previous 20 years. I have stayed in hotels from Trump Plaza Chicago to Tim buck two Econolodge..
The well kept hotel to the staff ( Zac, Shawn, Jason, Jena) keeps me coming back.
Staying in Perrysburg? Candlewood Suites!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Powerplant66
Sycamore, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed here the end of November will visiting a family member in Hospice. I was able to bring my dog with me which was important to the person I was visiting. The staff is very friendly and the hotel is very pet friendly. The rooms are outstanding for a short stay or an extended stay. This is my third stay at Candlewood in different states and I will always try to find one wherever I travel.

Room Tip: If you have a pet with you the north end of the building is closer to the dog walking area
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bossmare92
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Stayed at Candlewood after unsuccessfully trying to get through a snowstorm. The good news is I was grateful to find an available hotel (LQ and HIE were sold out) that accepted pets. However, since I've only stayed at LQ when I travel with my furry loved one, I was quite surprised to hear about a $25 charge to have my dog stay in the room...for 5 hours. Since my husband & I didn't know what other options were out there, we took it.

The night staff was...okay, but the daytime cleaning & desk staff was super-friendly. Okay, that may have been due to me prancing my dog around, but hey, friendly is friendly...right?

I was really impressed with the room and almost wished I spent more than 5 hours there. I especially liked that there was a stove in the kitchenette. The only downside to the room itself was there was next to no heat as all we got was cold, blowing air (even after asking the front staff for help). But we were so exhausted that we just sucked it up.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stopped in around 7pm after getting stuck in a blizzard. The rooms and facilities couldn't really have been cleaner. I routinely stay in 4- and 5-star hotels that don't smell as clean and freshly cleaned. I've also stayed in lots of hotels along I-80, and this is tops in terms of value (we paid $80 a night before a pet fee of $25) of anywhere I've stayed. (The runner-up is the Hampton Inn in Youngstown, OH).

The staffer named Zac couldn't have been more pleasant and friendly, even after our 5th and 6th requests (towels, corkscrew, extra sheet). We're not normally so high-maintenance -- but I bet Zac is always that pleasant.

Random details: It's right off I-75, just two miles or so off I-80. The mattress was firm (and awesome, if you like firmer mattresses). The kitchenette was quite useful. They have a "room service" (ie delivery) service set up with the local Biaggi's italian restaurant, which is substantially better than average. The bathroom has a fan. The shower was great. Pets are only allowed on the first floor; there are massive fields near the hotels that are great for a dog.

Can't say enough about this place. If only all roadside hotels were this nice.

Room Tip: My guess is they're all pleasant.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Trabuco Canyon, California
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I have stayed in several Candlewood Suites in various States, and by far this was the nicest and cleanest one. Front staff very professional and the lobby was nice and large compared to others. My room was very clean. If I had to come back to the area, I would stay here vs the Holiday Inn Express across the street that I had to move to (pre booked the hotel).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business