“Birthday surprise”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Made a reservation for a Sunday PM and surprised my wife with dinner here. The food was excellent. She had salmon and I had the flank steak. I had asked for a birthday cake they recommended their baked Alaska for two. It was much more than we could finish. It was very good.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Two friends and I took a little road trip about an hour from home to check out the fall colors at Malabar Farms. We drove to the top of the mountain (lookout over the farm) and decided we would try to eat at the restaurant near there. I've been there twice before and knew that it would be a good idea to have reservations, so I called them (got the # from a brochure I had picked up at the visitors' center). I was told they had four available tables left for the night, so we took one of them. I called at 5:00 P.M and we were able to get in at 5:15. We had to wait about 5 - 10 minutes for our table, but it was worth it. My friends both ordered the pork steak. It looked delicious. I ordered the shrimp and scallops minus the scallops. It was very good. The seasoning was perfect. Our server was Jay and he kept our glasses full of their very own orange spiced iced tea. He also managed to get all of us to order desserts, even though we were quite full from our meals. The service was attentive and friendly. I overheard two different people from different tables say they loved the place so much that they mad reservations to return on Tuesday, as they are closed on Monday. The music that played while we were dining was wonderful and we had fun guessing the names of the songs and who originally sang/played them. One of my friends said this was her new "birthday place" and has suggested this place to many people since our visit. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five was the fact that if you wanted a salad before the meal, it was extra $$, such as an appetizer. Other than that, the place was fabulous and we will return.

1  Thank OhLynne
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Malabar Farm Restaurant is in a bucolic setting near Ohio's Mohican State Park, and the Amish country. Ambiance of the old farmhouse in lovely, views of the surrounding countryside are beautiful, service was great, food was very good. The outside terrace would be a great choice on a nice day... it was a bit rainy when we went, so we ate inside. I say very good because some of our choices were great, and some were just good... Not a thing wrong with any of it, but it was a bit uneven. Still, this is probably one of the best choices you could make in the immediate area.

1  Thank JohnC33
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This place is a gem! We ladies enjoyed it so much we brought the hubbies the following week. Service was outstanding, decor was charming and the food was absolutely top-notch: fresh and flavorful, from soup to dessert. (The blueberry meringue pie was delicious!) The owner stopped and chatted with us adding an especially friendly touch. Our server was very knowledgeable about ingredients in the food and made recommendations that were perfect for our tastes and diets. It was a perfect dining experience!

1  Thank wildlifemama
Reviewed 13 October 2013

A central Ohio gem with locally sourced, consistently excellent food, prepared simply but with sophistication. Remote, rural location adds to the charm. Favorite items include the pulled pork sandwich, homemade chips, and brownie with chocolate ganache; however, the dinner entrees are in a class all their own.

1  Thank ALALtraveler