“Amazing Food, Amazing Pub, Amazing Everything!!”
Review of Hare and Hounds

Hare and Hounds
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Stoughton
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Hare and Hounds Pub,Set in the rolling South Downs, an area of outstanding natural beauty, in the picturesque village of Stoughton is the HARE & HOUNDS A privately owned free house the pub has been a focal point of the village since the nineteenth century, the pub retains a traditional feel in unspoilt surroundings and is featured in many guides as well as a starting and finishing point for many great walks.The HARE AND HOUNDS takes it’s beer very seriously and offers finely conditioned cask ales including award winning bitters, along with premium draught cider and top flight lagers. There is also a carefully selected wine list offering fine classic wines with many favourites available either by the glass or bottle or 2!!If you’re looking for some peace and quiet or time to yourselves, the chance to loose the children in the garden watching the cows and horses, or sustenance after a long walk with the dog, a warm welcome awaits.
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My family and I went for a mid week lunch while visiting my parents and was totally amazed at how good the food and service was. We enjoy good quality food has living in the Middle East its what I have become used to. I had the Steak which was abslolutely out of this world. Our 3 year old son was with us too and he too really enjoyed the food. This really is a great pub and in all honesty much more than just a pub. Great service from very polite and friendly staff. Cant wait for our next trip back to the UK so we can come for another great lunch!!!

1  Thank Marksatchell

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Having used this pub for more years than I care to remember, the idea of dinner after a walk in the bluebell woods seemed like a really good idea. The bluebells were stunning; the food was much less so.
The look of the Dining Room is fine with the scrubbed tables being particularly appealing. On a fine mid-week evening it was busy, so booking is a good idea.
On our last visit we found the menu very interesting and varied. Now it seemed a much more limited affair with relatively few choices. The Starters were unappealing so we went straight to Mains - the sole was magnificent but let down by the veg, the Burger was tasty but came with nasty little stick chips, while the rack of ribs was enormous. The cyclists on the next table both had the ribs - how they managed to cycle home after eating such a vast amount of meat, I don't know!
The choice of Puddings was again very limited, so we passed on them, too. We left with the feeling that standards had slipped badly, that corners were being cut in the kitchen and that there are several better pub/restaurants within a few miles of this one.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We arrived being told there would be a 40 minute wait which was no problem as we were happy to enjoy the sun outside and wait, it got too an hour after our food was ordered and we still waited not too worried as we knew it was busy, it was when it got to an hour and 15 minutes later when we went in and polity asked if it would come soon, we were assured it would be 10 minutes. 10 minutes later the people sat next to us( who arrived 30 minutes after us) received their food. We waited for another 10 minutes then decided it was pointless. We returned to the bar and asked if we could pay for our drinks and leave the food. The gentleman behind the bar was very apologetic and agreed we shouldn't have to wait that long. Unfortunately a women working there with short hair then approached us and said our food was now ready, by this time we weren't even hungry anymore, she began to make excuses about why we had waited so long and was obviously annoyed that we were leaving.

Overall the two male members of staff an older man with glasses and a young man were very nice and could see that we had been waiting too long. Where as the lady was insistent and rude in telling us that it's because it's busy, it's a small pub and there was only one chef on, that isn't the customers problem so do not make excuses.

Because of this experience we will not be returning.
I do not recommend eating here unless you wish to wait hours and instead of food get excuses.

3  Thank Nicole G
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Always worth a visit for great atmosphere beer and food. As this pub is a genuine and independent pub: run by the family who owns it.

Being in the heart of the most beautiful part of the downs it can be fairly busy at the weekend. So today I enjoyed a quieter mid week day in spring sunshine. Which shows the fantastic view to best effect.

Additionally I and was able to discuss my lunch choice with the chef. Who offered more choice than was on the menu and served up a fantastic lemon sole I enjoyed in the garden.

The hidden secret at the pub is the garden to rear which very few people every venture into

1  Thank Adrian M
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Had lunch yesterday in the restaurant section. Good food. My wife had a rack of ribs and I had the venison liver. Lovely. Washed down with a nice cider for my wife and ale for myself. Good service. Only slight point was the chairs are a little narrow with arms. Would not suit someone with a big bottom. Not been there in 30 years and it was well worth going. Parking can be a problem as Stoughton is a little village.

1  Thank Roger F