“A bit disappointing...”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Pennsylvania
“A bit disappointing...”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We were really hoping to like the Sleep Inn because the front desk staff and the lovely ladies manning the breakfast area were very pleasant and friendly; however, the hotel has a few areas of improvement: First, although we were obligated to sign a form stating that we would not make noise, that we would leave the room in "reasonable condition" and not smoke in our non-smoking room, it seems we were some of the only folks to actually obey the rules! Upon entry to our room (again, non-smoking), the faint smell of cigarettes hit my nose, particularly after I got into the bed, as the blanket really did smell like smoke. Either the walls were completely uninsulated, or the people next to us, who arrived at their room at 11:30 p.m. were the loudest talkers, drinkers and door openers ever! We heard every word, the laughter, the beer bottles and their entering and exiting the room several times until they finally piped down at 2:00 a.m. The shower stall in our room had not been cleaned after the prior guest, as the bottom was dirty and there was grass in there as well. The carpet near the sink seemed damp upon arrive, which was gross. On the plus side, the staff were friendly and courteous, the breakfast was nice and the breakfast area was kept clean and well stocked. Sure it was cheaper than some of the other places in the area, but for the condition of the room and the thin walls, I'll pay more next time!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KeyLimeLover69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Canaan, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is my second time staying at the Sleep Inn & Suites in Port Clinton, Ohio. Both times the rooms were clean and well priced. The staff members both at night and in the morning were friendly and kind. The breakfast was tasty and enjoyable. They had us sign that we would not have a party in the room, as with the resort community of Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island nearby, this apparently was common in the past. We were glad that this was not the case anymore, as we had a lot of driving ahead of us. Three of us stayed there for $101.24 which was for two queen beds, non-smoking. We also had a roll-away bed which they did not charge for.

Room Tip: Our room was near the elevator and we never heard a noise from it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed 3 nights over 4th of July weekend. We had family camping & docking nearby so this was a very convenient location for us. We stayed out until about midnight each night so we only slept/showered at hotel. Bed was somewhat comfortable-not the best, not the worst. Hotel was clean but shower water was not hot- it was warm but still had goose bumps if curtain was open. Hotel did have indoor pool, small outdoor seating area & offered complimentary breakfast. We did not swim in pool or eat breakfast- so cannot review either. If I'm in the area again, I would stay again if I was planning a similar trip (that did not include spending much time at hotel.) Staff was extremely friendly & helpful!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2013

When I stayed here it was for a mini vacation, and was traveling to Put-In-Bay. I am a Choice Hotel Employee, and I have two complaints about this hotel. First this hotel never knowledged that I was indeed an employee, the guy just stood there and took from me what was required never making me feel good about staying here. Second the breakfast room was way to small. Overall a great hotel, and I did enjoy the cool shower.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Port Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The room was filthy. It smelled bad. My skin is crawling looking at how filthy the carpet is. I stay in hotels 180 days a year. I will not stay at a sleep inn again if possible. The franchiser should be ashamed for not demanding proper quality control.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Gtbabcock

Travellers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel single handily ruined our family vacation. We had small children and thought this was a good price. We were expecting wifi, and got no wifi in the room only in the hall after walking half way to the desk. Upon entering the room we noticed that the CARPET was dirty I decided to to complain so I just told the kids not take there shoes off while in the room, we left and came back. Now it's time for baths...oh wait here is NO bath only a standing shower which was PEELING at the bottom. Nothing towel can't handle so still not going to complain but I must say its tarting to bother me. Ok now lets get the kids in bed....oh what do I find yeah DIRTY sheets call to have someone change only to be told that it may be awhile (now instant attitude) go get sheets only to have to go back twice before I actually got CLEAN sheets. Now lets rest (or not) pull back sheets that I just changed and find BED BUGS now I'm pissed and we are going home.. Yes at midnight!!! Oh they kindly gave us a refund but upon waking up the next morning we were charged another 93 dollars for no reason, a few calls and that was taken care of, but our supposedly great family weekend was cut short on day one!!!!! Thanks a lot. We live over an hour away no way were we gong to be able to spend our weekend as planned!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Janetbaker
Crooksville, Ohio
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Several small things made our stay somewhat unpleasant. We stayed in a Jacuzzi Suit. That was fine but we needed a cot for my son. the cot supplied which cost $10 a day was dismal. Springs and support missing. I had to fix it myself as best I could. The guest laundry was out of order. the room safe was out of order. My wife looked forward to the bacon the breakfast supplied. But there was none during our 3 day stay. The internet access was spotty and many times unavailable. The Television cable was broken. When I mentioned it to the front desk I was told there were no other rooms available. Once again I had to fix it myself. The room key stopped working during day two. It took 25 minutes to fix while my wife and kids stood outside the room waiting. While the hotel was close to many shops and great restaurants. We may stay somewhere else next year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
#13 of 17 in Port Clinton
The Island House Hotel
The Island House Hotel
#3 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!