“Think twice”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
McDonald, Ohio, United States
“Think twice”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I checked in not expecting anything more than a room with WiFi for 5 nights. I got more than I bargained for. The staff was pleasant and friendly but this hotel needs some serious TLC. As I checked in, a woman came limping down the hall with a syringe protruding from the front of her foot. She sat in a chair provided by the staff and removed the syringe from her foot. She sniffed the contents and proclaimed it an insulin syringe. She said she "found" it when she stepped near the skirt of the bed in her room. The staff was filling out a report when I went up to my room.
When I opened the door to my room I was greeted by a stale musty odor. I immediately turned on the AC unit and the odor got stronger. For the next 5 days I tried alternating between fan and AC to no avail.
I wasn't in the room much during the day, but sleeping was miserable. My sinuses would plug up and I would wake with a headache that progressively got worse throughout the week. I do not normally have sinus problems and can endure a lot of adverse conditions. When I would leave in the morning, my sinuses would clear up and my headache would vanish. In my opinion, after looking into the AC unit and seeing the coil covering in dirt and whatever, I would say there was definitely a microbial growth problem. The musty odor would support that.
The first night I checked in, the "high speed internet" was down, so my work that evening had to be put on hold. It took a while for them to get it back up. It was down again Friday night and Saturday Morning. It was very inconvenient as I had limited time to spend in the room to get my work done. I was very disappointed.
I will not stay here when I come back next week, or ever.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lou M
jane s, General Manager at Super 8 Port Clinton, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us in Port Clinton, Ohio. I am very sorry for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We have a 24 hour desk to take care of any problems that might
happen during your stay. I am sorry you did not let us know about the issues with your room.
We would have been glad to move you or take care of the problem so your stay would be more
enjoyable.
I must also reply to the issue of the lady you observed with the needle sticking out of her foot. This was a scam on her part to get a free night out of us. This was done on purpose. We had a gentleman that observed their conversation admitting they did it. His detail was put on Trip Advisor and it has since been taken off.
Again we are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked a room (a 2 room "suite") for the 4th of July weekend, during weekends and holidays hotels are pretty packed in that area and very expensive! I was pleasantly surprised to find rooms available at decent prices a week before the holiday weekend. The hotel was only a 10 minute drive from the Miller Ferry and it was easy to find. We checked-in around 9pm, the girl at the front desk was nice and got us checked-in right away. The room wasn't anything fancy, but was just fine for a place to sleep, it did have a mini fridge, microwave & a safe. It had 2 double beds in one room and 1 double bed in the other attached room. We had to ask for more pillows & had no problems getting them, though they were awfully lumpy, but we survived. We didn't have any of the free breakfast they offered, we saw it, it looked pretty meager, but would work in a pinch. Overall it was a fine hotel and I would book it again if we were going to Put In Bay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We welcome any comments from our guests that will help us improve our hotel for our guests.
We hope to see you again. Enjoy the rest of the Summer.