“Very clean, quiet, & comfortable with friendly staff”

Super 8 Port Clinton
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We were pleasantly surprised with our stay at Port Clinton's Super 8. We stayed for only one night, but would be willing to go back to this Super 8 and stay again. The staff was friendly and helpful. I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel. When we walked into the front lobby, it smelled very fresh and all of the surfaces (tables, windows, etc.) were shiny. Our room was very clean, also-- The bathroom was spotless! Also, as other reviewers have said, this Super 8 is very quiet. The motel is located right next to a restaurant, but we did not hear any noise from the restaurant nor from the roads outside or other rooms.

A breakfast bar is offered, but it is small. There was milk, orange juice, apple juice, and coffee along with two types of cereal, bagels, English muffins, bread, some small doughnuts, instant oatmeal, and boiled eggs.

There was free wi-fi at this motel, but no community computer. I would suggest planning ahead and bringing a laptop if you are going to need the internet.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2009

We've stayed at the Port Clinton Super8 at least one weekend (or more) a year for the past 3 years. We're always pleased with the level of service, the cleanliness of the lobby and guest rooms, and the overall peace and quiet. We prefer to eat our own healthy food (which we pack and bring with us) so we aren't able to comment on the quality of the breakfast they provide. We'll keep coming back to this Super8.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TPDurango
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We encountered three seperate desk clerks. One out of three was friendly and helpful. They forgot the washcloths in the room. The wastebaskets had no trash can liners in them. The breakfast was the WORST continental breakfast we have ever seen anywhere. Very little selection. We left and ate elsewhere. We had stayed here over a year ago and it was really good. This time, not so much. Not sure what happened. Very disappointing. On the plus side, it was quiet, even with the main road right beside the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I chose this hotel due to location to the pier, reviews compared to prices of others around the area and was pleased with my choice.

The hallway and lobby smelled of stale smoke, but the room didn't. It was very quiet and cool in the evening. I slept best at this hotel compared to the resort we stayed in afterwards for 4 times the money.

Location has restaurants, fast food place, a grocery store and gas stations within walking distance.

They provide a free shuttle to the pier to catch the Jet Express to the islands.

Breakfast was simple. Cereal, muffins, fruit and juices.

Warning:
There were 3 floors with no elevator so it was a pain to haul the luggage up and down.

I recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank sleepy99
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We stayed at the Motel 8 in Port Clinton, Ohio for two nights at $130 a night, including the very high “soak the tourist” motel taxes the locals reap in this area. We booked this room through hotels.com. I heard the desk clerk quote it to someone over the phone for $158.

You come to this motel quickly after you get off the Route 2 freeway at Port Clinton. It is across the street from Lake Erie, but it has no Lake view from the rooms. The service was mostly cheerful and helpful. Check in went quickly without problems. We had with us our teenage granddaughter and a friend to take them to the Cedar Point Amusement Park in nearby (on the Route 2 freeway) Sandusky, Ohio. This Lake Erie shore area is very much a tourist area and the hotels and motels near the Lake are always expensive. This is the least expensive acceptable motel we have found in this area, year after year. We price around every year, but end up staying there on our all trips to that area. It is even closer to the tourist attractions on the Marblehead Peninsula, Catawba Point and the Lake Erie Island ferries than to Cedar Point.

The room was impressively large and there were two small double beds. The room has an entryway with a built in suit case bench to place and unpack suit cases. There was a very useful self lock safe in the room where we stored our laptop and other valuables when we went out. In that regard, I need to mention that I forgot and left my watch on the nightstand next to the bed when we went off to Cedar Point for the day. My watch was right where I left it when we got back late that night. The mattresses were pretty hard, but not so much that they were impossibly uncomfortable. The bathroom was small, but adequate. The room and bathroom were clean, but there was quite a bit of staining on the carpet in the hallway. There was a nice size television in the room, which had a very good selection of cable channels. The room had a desk and a table. There was a coffee maker on the desk, which took up the second electrical outlet at the desk. We had to unplug the coffee maker to use our laptop. The motel supposedly had free WiFi, but it was not a great system. Our laptop rated the signal in our room as “very poor”. We could view web sites, but its very poor signal would not allow us to open or send e-mails. I took my laptop down to the lobby to see if the signal was any better. My laptop did not find a signal there at all. They had ice machines and soft drink machines that charged $1.85 for soft drinks. The motel has no elevator to the second floor. I saw people with physical limitations struggling to get up the stairs.

We asked to store lugage for a while after checkout. We have never had a hotel or motel refuse that request before. However, the Motel 8 refused that request quickly, emphatically and without apology.

The complimentary breakfast was minimal and, frankly, disappointing – just barely enough so they could advertise that they had one. A quick characterization of it is that it was a carbohydrate disaster scene for diabetics and people on the Atkins diet. I don’t think even Motel 8 would call it quality food. They provided miniature donuts, but no Danish. They had slices of white bread, English muffins and bagels, with packets of jelly and Philadelphia cream cheese. Our granddaughter tried the Philadelphia cream cheese on a bagel and said it was pretty bad. They had a bowl of apples and oranges and a bowl of hard boiled eggs. There were only two kinds of breakfast cereals – corn flakes and something sugar coated. However, there was no regular eggs, meat items, pancakes or waffles. There was machine dispensed fruit juice. There is free coffee in the breakfast area all the time. They let you take coffee to the room, but nothing else. The second morning, our granddaughter said she could not take that motel breakfast again and asked to pass it up. We did and ate at the McDonalds next door. Sadly, the included breakfast at the Motel 8 Port Clinton has gone down hill quite a lot from what they served in past years.

We do recommend the Motel 8 Port Clinton, evidenced by our many stays there, but with qualifications. Most would find the continental breakfast bearable for just one morning, especially those with a heavy duty sweet tooth. Those who cannnot, could skip the breakfast (as hard as it is to not eat food one has paid for, plus the very high motel tax), eat breakfast at any of the many good restaurants in the area and still come out ahead on the overall price. Even the breakfast at the McDonalds next door was quite an improvement. On the other hand, those looking for the convenience of a quality motel provided breakfast, with choices that do not include carbohydrates and calories in the stratosphere, should spend more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NoneColumbus
Reviewed 1 October 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Super 8 for 2 evenings, September 22 and 23. I was looking for a hotel that was inexpensive as we planned on spending most of the time on the islands. It was just that. The staff was pleasant enough. When we entered, the only available staff member was folding sheets on the breakfast tables. The room was clean and functional and breakfast was slim pickings but served the purpose. For the price, it was an acceptable place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank camprpines
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Had a very nice stay. The room was clean, the beds were clean, the bathroom was clean. Everything worked properly. The only thing I didn't like was we weren't 'allowed' to open the windows. Why not? I didn't understand that. Perhaps it was because I was on the bottom floor because the people on the 2nd floor had their windows open. It's possible not being able to open the ground-floor windows is a security measure. If you open the window and accidentally leave it open or unlocked, anyone could jump inside.

The only thing I was put off by was the woman at the front desk. She wasn't very friendly when I first arrived. She rarely looked me in the eye, didn't smile at all and was very short with her answers to my questions. But the next day she seemed fine and was a little more sociable, so it's possible she was just having a bad day. Still, bad day or not, when you're working with the general public, you put your bad day on the back burner temporarily. Overall, though, I enjoyed my stay and had no major problems. I especially appreciated the security safe in the room so I could lock up my valuables while I was away for the day.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank llvoh