“Weekend Getaway”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Not a horrible stay.....but did have some negatives.
1. No elevator which makes it not fun with heavy luggage.
2. Horribly overcrowded breakfast area! Ended up eating in the lobby.
3. The pool was pretty dark with half the overhead lights burnt out.

Stayed: August 2014
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Lacie S.
Thank you for your review, but I do wish that instead of it being a not horrible stay, that your stay was a great one. My apologies that you experienced some of the issues that you mentioned, with the lack of elevator, the high occupancy in the breakfast room and that pool area being dimly lit. We hope to have you as a return guest.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed two nights, August 5 -6, 2014. On arrival our check in was fine. We did have a short wait on the Desk Clerk as he was helping a customer with their luggage to their room. The hotel is a two story hotel but does NOT have an elevator. On arriving to our room I noticed the coffee pot was half full of coffee. The carpeting was in need of cleaning. The entire room and bathroom is in need of upgrading. When we checked out after two nights the coffee pot was still not cleaned which makes me wonder how much cleaning beyond making the beds is accomplished. Our room did not have a hotel information pamphlet (binder) and we needed to call the desk to learn how to access the wifi.
We enjoyed the pool and the breakfast although it is a normal hotel breakfast but was good. We paid a total of $292.90 for our two night stay. On my next visit to this area I may try another hotel.

1  Thank Alanc125

Dear Alanc125,
Thank you for your review of your stay. It does sound like we fell short in a few key areas of guest services, and for that I apologize. If you would like to contact me directly regarding your recent stay, please call me at the hotel at 419-732-2434, I do hope that you would give us another chance upon a return visit.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Our family definitely enjoyed the stay at Country Inn and Suites in Port Clinton.
I found it easier to call Angela to book our room direct rather than attempting to book online. I was glad that I had made this decision when we arrived a couple hours early, and our room was set and ready for check in, even though they didn't have any other rooms available just yet.
The pool area was excellent. It was clean, and well stocked with clean towels.
The exercise area had very nice machines, and a refrigerator stocked with cold water.
Breakfast was hot and fresh each morning. In particular, the older ladies that were there our first morning went out of there way to make sure everyone had what they needed, and made friendly conversation.
I would recommend a first floor room as there is no elevator, and would also mention that I could hear trains throughout the night as they approached the nearby crossing. It wasn't a huge issue, and may be better from the front side of the building.
It did seem odd that the light switch for the bathroom was outside of the actual bathroom?
I would have to say that we received great value for the money. I'm not sure how other reviewers could feel differently.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear vegas1983,
Thank you so much for the great review of your stay!
Sounds like you enjoyed all the hotel has to offer, including the full breakfast, the indoor pool, the excersise room and we are glad you got an early check in and got situated early for your stay. We love early check ins! As long as we have a room to put you in, we will get you in. Thank you again for your stay and the kind words, I will share them with the breakfast staff, as well as the other staff memebers here.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a great place to stay. Very clean and good breakfast. However, there are only 2 floors and no elevator, which I found odd. Of course we were on the 2nd floor and it was a pain to take luggage up the starts. Otherwise, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear ChristineBrown92,
Thanks for the positive review of your stay with us, at Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton, Ohio!
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast and all. It is true we do not have an elevator, but we do make every effort to get guests on the first floor upon request if possible. Thanks again for staying and for the review, hope to see you again!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here in 2012. Exterior door locks were not working properly. Reported then. Still not working now on this stay. Security concern. Staff was great, beds were great, AC was great, TV was great. Facility was clean and fresh looking, but room carpet needed cleaned. Dull grey areas inside room and overall dull looking. Skipped the Free Breakfast, pretty minimal at best for a place like this and the price.

Dear Warren P,
Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay. I am glad you felt the staff, the beds, the AC and the TV was great. I am sorry you missed our free breakfast, most guests enjoy that feature to start off their day. My apologies for the security concerns regarding the exterior door issues, and also the carpeting in your room. We are in the process of deep cleaning the carpeting in all areas of the hotel, it justs takes a bit of time to get to all rooms. I do hope that you will stay with us again when your travels permit.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Price is too steep for a run-of-the-mill room. You are paying for the location due to its proximity to Cedar Point. However you are right off the highway and nothing is within walking distance (food, stores, etc.). I'd look for something cheaper further away if we ever do this again. Be aware - there is no elevator (though the website says so, it is easy to miss this fact). You will likely need to carry your bags and kids up a flight of stairs to get to your room. Employees were very nice and helpful during our overnight stay. No complaints there. Pool is only fun for older kids - the shallowest end is a 3 1/2 feet so young kids are forced to play on the pool stairs. Good breakfast - but they could definitely use a second waffle maker - the line was really long to make waffles and each one takes 2:30 min. - not great with impatient kids (or adults).

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Lisa W.,
I thank you for your review of your stay. This hotels close proximity to Cedar Point Amusement Park is indeed a reason that we see alot of families this time of year. I wish you had enjoyed your stay a little better, but I am glad you had great interactions with the staff here, and that the kids were able to have breakfast and the older ones were able to enjoy the indoor pool. I do hope that you and your family have a great rest of your summer!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was a return visit to the Port Clinton area and I never hesitated when it came to booking lodging for our trip. Country Inn and Suites number is on speed dial and I call them direct to make our reservations. The staff is the greatest making sure all our needs are met. Since there is always room for improvement [I'm sure they can come up with something like having sugar free jelly and syrup at breakfasts] I rated them as "very good".

Hi Barbara M!
That was a great review of your stay, and I had to print it out for the staff to see. This time of year, it is fantastic to get a good review! We are in the busiest time of our busy season. and I am glad that everything was good during your stay. You mentioned the sugar free syrup..we have it! It is on the breakfast buffet by the waffle station. I got some sugar free jelly also, its in the pantry, so when you need some, you just let Sandy know! Good to see you and looking forward to your next stay,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Clinton
#1 of 3 in Marblehead
OurGuest Inn & Suites
OurGuest Inn & Suites
#5 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton? Share your experiences!