“terrible stay”

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Butler
“terrible stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a horrible stay. The room smelled of dog urine very badly. We had to go to Walmart at night to get air freshner spray and a candle. We couldn't open the window for fresh air because there were nats flying outside and coming in through the screen.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Needs some work - if it wasn't for the fabulous location right on Lake Erie, we probabaly wouldn't have stayed here. The outside looks better than inside the rooms. Our room was typical old motel style - complete with old bedspreads which give me the creeps. You park right outside the door. Tiny bathroom but sink was outside the tub/toilet area. Poor lighting. Cobwebs and bugs in the corners, and squished bugs on the walls. Really needs paint at the minimum and a good cleaning. Smelly room - wanted to open the window but there were creepy bugs and spider webs in between the window and the screen so we left our door wide open for a while. Very nice breakfast area and the breakfast was minimal but OK. The lady that worked the evening shift (I forgot her name) was so pleasant. Probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I understand " getting what you pay for".. But this location needs some serious help.
To start, they gave us a room that was not ours, I inquired and was told since it was a third party reservation, there was nothing they could do. I made the reservation through them directly!!!.
later that day, I was told they made a mistake and I needed to move. no problem, the room was horrible anyway- lights didn't work, dead bugs everywhere, bug nests under the furniture, not to mention it smelled like raw sewage.
So, we move rooms- Surprise!!! same smell, dead bugs, non working lights, and brown spots all over the shower walls.
I understand business- I understand that you are short on staff- but at least ensure that the staff you have are doing their jobs.
Was told there was a beach in front of the hotel- NOT!!!- a concrete drop-off!.. and the pool- works for kids, but otherwise it is old and like the rest of place needs some serious loving care.. brown ring all the way around, concrete all uneven, spider webs all over the railings.. furniture is absolutely dirty- looks like it has never been cleaned. Spider webs on those as well.

The owner of this property needs to take some pride in ownership and fix up this place that could be a great little Gem.. but for now, I would stay away from this overpriced, smelly, bug pit!..

I feel really bad for the staff, and the manager as they are constantly dealing with issues, rooms are not being cleaned- yet cleaning staff are placing notes in system that they cleaned the rooms. ( mine was not cleaned while there- even though they gave us new soap and a rug to put on floor in bathroom).. but the beds were not made, no cleaning was done and we asked specifically for certain things to be completed.

Several flies came out of the breakfast juice machines.. obviously these are never cleaned.. BEWARE!!

So, the bottom line is this.. I am surprised that this location passes the health inspection.. it is that bad.

The manager did a great service and should be commended- I was not charged for my stay..

Good luck to this hotel, I hope someone figures out what a great place you could be...

Room Tip: no rooms are good rooms, the entire complex smells like sewage..