“Why Stay Anywhere Else???”

The Island House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Read the other reviews. I don't have a ton to add. Cute little room with a fridge and coffee maker. Super clean, comfy bed, nice flat screen, clean updated bathroom. Great linens, decorating, and fixtures. AC and a ceiling fan. Other hotels in Port Clinton are apparently hit or miss. Not this place though!!! They were waiting for us at 9PM when we arrived. Met Jeff the owner the next AM...he was super nice. The area is great!!! Right across from the Jet Express. There are many bars and restaurants all up and down the main Street the hotel is on. Also many fast food places, supermarkets, everything you need within 10 minutes. Can't wait to go back again, and explore Port Clinton. My goal is to stay in every room....so I can say I stayed in the same room as a President and Joe DiMaggio....Kudos Jeff and Staff....you have a winner!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator.....ours was at the end of the hall....not a deal-breaker....but cl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cuzinbuzzy

Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Island House provides all the charm and personality of a b&b without the second "b". The staff is friendly and helpful, offering suggestions about where to go and what to do. The rooms are nicely decorated and don't feel like a chain hotel. The location was perfect: in the downtown area with restaurants and shop all around, and across the street from the ferry depot to the islands.

Room Tip: The staff told us that our room in the corner has iffy wifi access and offered a different room if t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

It is very difficult to reach a person to talk to about getting a reservation. They have an answering machine which tells you to leave your name and phone number but they never return the calls. I left messages on three different occasions and never received a return phone call. When I spoke to the general manager and told him I was upset because I felt like the customer service was poor because they didn't return phone calls I was told that I was under no obligation to stay there. He informed me that their computer system was down for 19 days and that is why they were having difficulties with the reservations. I still don't understand what that had to do with returning a phone call even if it was just to tell me that they couldn't do the reservations at that time.
I was quoted one price and charged another upon check out. The general manager emailed me and told me that he had discounted one of the two rooms we reserved and said he would email a confirmation which he never did. They could not print me out a receipt when I checked in that would reflect the price of the rooms because the computer system was not working at the time. I am very disappointed that the general manager did not follow through with amending my reservation.
The rooms are very small. The room we stayed in had a view of a brick building and there was a very loud generator running outside that ran until 11pm which made it difficult to sleep.
Overall I would never again stay at nor recommend this hotel. I will however say that the staff I encountered at the front desk were very friendly.

Room Tip: If you stay here make sure you get a room on the outside of the building on the road side otherwise...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ooaky38
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We recently spent a weekend in Pt. Clinton at the Island House. The staff is friendly and the room was spacious and comfortable. Granted it was somewhat "off season" but the price can't be beat for the quality of the accommodations. We look forward to returning to Pt. Clinton and The Island House.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked our room at the Island House on a whim. We were both slightly skeptical because of the phenomenal price, but were overjoyed at just how nice our room was. The staff could not have been more helpful and made our stay that much more enjoyable. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for luxury without the price tag. The beds were so cozy and the attention to detail was first class. Thank You Island House!

Room Tip: Pick a room any room, there all great!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed 16 February 2012

When we come to the lakeside Catawba area, we usually stay with my wife's folks. On one occasion there was too much company and we sought refuge at the Island House. We've never stayed overnight with the folks since then. For the last two years this serene vintage hotel has been our home in Port Clinton and we really look forward to our time here. The service is personal and so friendly... sheets are crisp, rooms always fresh and impeccably clean. The rooms retain the high ceilings while the heating/cooling and bathroom facilities are new and modern. WiFi is fast and free. I'm an early riser and always have a book to take downstairs to read, settling in on one of the soft leather couches by the fireplace. The coffee pot is always on and a nice selection of breakfast munchies await each morning. The appropriate period carpeting on the stair treads can't completely muffle the pleasantly creaking noises, acquired from years of service. To be fair, my wife and I are nearing retirement age and the Island House suits us well. The best part of the art of living is to know how to grow old gracefully. The Island House is one graceful lady.

Room Tip: If you're looking for more than just a bedroom and bath, ask to see the Port or Starboard suites...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Thom R
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We recently visited The Island House Hotel in downtown Port Clinton. It was perfect. Even though it was the off season our room was perfect. We immediately felt welcome by the warm and wonderful staff. Our room was beautifully decorated and very warm and comfortable. We cannot wait to return. Highly recommended

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple