“Loved our visit!”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
melfa, va
“Loved our visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Thanks so much to the staff of the Island House for making our stay great! This is a great place and was a very enjoyable overnight. Bed was great as was the room. Front desk was very helpful in suggesting restaurants as well. Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank julie b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I loved my stay at The Island House, the reviews are right. I normally stay in Sandusky at The Breakers when I visit Cedar Point, but rates during Halloween are outrageous. $230 a night? So I started looking around and found this GEM on TripAdvisor. I got a queen room for AAA rate of $81, unfortunately it was 46 degrees and raining when I arrived so I did not go to the park but I did go straight to the hotel, which let me check in early. Sarah at the front desk was a wealth of information about the history of the hotel and surrounding area. Thank you much! The room was just right, small, quaint, warm, kozy. From what I could tell the restaurant on site was packed, I will definitely make time to eat there next time I visit. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: No real tips, I just asked for a room on the top floor. I hate people walking on my head when I'...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank COASTERQUEEN60
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My Great Grandmother's father, Conrad Gernhard, built this lovely hotel in 1886 and in 2013. It is still going strong and is a lovely historical property. Its location close to Cedar Point and the Islands makes it convenient for those on vacation but it is equally well situated for anyone doing business in the area. The King bedded room with the parlor provides a space to both sleep and work. Staff members are personable and very helpful. Also appreciated was the opportunity to dine onsite at 1812 and awake to a continental breakfast. So if you want to experience history, as well as enjoy the comfort of modern amenities, make plans to stay at the Island House. It is a welcome change from the cookie cutter hotel chains and you will love your stay!

Room Tip: Room with King Bed and Parlor has interior views but is spacious for those who like to sleep in a sp...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kenyongal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

My stay at this hotel went way better than expected! The room had an older feel but was clean! No spider webs, no dirt on the pillows, no dust... Clean!
Nice plasma tv and white clean bathroom. Because it was older I felt more at home than normal.
The only complaint I had I guess would be the breakfast. There were bagels, cereal, and you could make your own oatmeal. Nothing fancy at all... But hey it got the job done.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. One of the ladies from the night before ( a mixed lady) had overcharged us. We told another lady when it was time for us to check out and she reimbursed us no questions asked.
Overall, very good experience! We stayed for 2 nights so that we could go to Cedar point. The hotel is about 25 minutes from there.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Britkam2010
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I visited for the weekend to tour the Erie Islands. Based on the previous reviews, we decided to stay at The Island House. I can honestly say it was the best hotel experience of my life. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a superb staff that was exceptionally polite and knowledgable. We stayed in a suite which was perfectly clean, spacious and had two flat screen TV's. There are two restaurants, the 1812 and Rosie's. Both utilize the same kitchen but have separate menus. You can get food from either menu at either venue. The food was absolutely amazing. Get a ribeye with Alaskan topping or try the smoked brisket sandwich on a pretzel bun, you won't be sorry. We got to know the staff over our three day stay and they greeted us each time we came downstairs. The hotel is historic but has been updated with modern amenities and some really comfortable mattresses! We will no doubt come back as soon as we can! A hidden gem!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 6EngineBoss
Williamston, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our stay at this beautiful historic hotel couldn't have been nicer. We wanted a quiet get away for the weekend and the staff went out of their way to make sure that all of our needs were met. The were more than helpful, it almost felt like we were staying with family! Our room was clean, quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We couldn't have asked for better service or a more comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Geri H
Navarre, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here in October 2009. We went to Halloweekends at Cedar Point that weekend. The building is very nice. The lobby is decorated very classy and adds to the ambiance of a historic building. It is a solid 30 minute drive one way to get to Cedar Point from there however. We had a room with one window and one bed. The window faced another building. The bed took up the entire room. There was little space around the bed. If it were closer to Cedar Point I would stay there again, but to me it's not worth the drive. I can stay at Breakers Express for the same price right outside the gate of Cedar Point.

• Stayed October 2013
#2 of 7 in Put in Bay
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#6 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to The Island House Hotel? Share your experiences!