“"Unfriendly Front Desk"”

The Island House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed there on July 15th. The room was small but clean. There were no chairs so that we could sit and watch TV. We asked the front desk clerk if we could have a folding chair (one) so it would be more comfortable. He said that he would check and let us know when we returned later that evening. When we returned, he was too busy watching TV in the other room. When he finally noticed us, he said that a chair would be a fire hazard. We told him that the chair would not be blocking the door. He never did check with anyone and continually told us that it was not possible. At check-out the next morning, we were asked if everything was ok. We mentioned the chair incident, and was told certainly that a chair could have been provided for us. There was a "so sorry" but nothing else. The hotel is overrated.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie V

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here on the weekend of July 12th for two nights. It has the best location since it has free parking behind it and it is a VERY short walk to the Jet Ski dock, making it easy to get to Put-in-Bay. The hotel oozes of quaintness and has a fine dining restaurant along with a pub where you can eat. The room was small but it IS an old hotel. It had a bed and small bathroom. There also was a microwave and refrigerator. The only down side to the room was that there were no chairs, but quite possibly there was no room to put any in. The bathroom is very small but comfortable and clean. I was told that there could be a long wait for the water to heat up but ours was very hot from the get go. The front desk clerk gave me a card for reduced Jet Ski fares and that was appreciated. The bill under door the last morning was correct and showed a zero balance so there was no need to stand at the desk to check out.

There are only a few areas where the hotel needs work. When I was booking the room their online booker alternated between saying there were no rooms and a whole bunch of rooms to choose from. I called the hotel ahead of time to make sure that I was in the system, and I was. Once there the free WIFI was pretty much MIA. Our room was over the restaurant and the only network showing up was the restaurant's. I was lucky enough to get my iPad to log onto it but it dropped often and was slow. In the lobby area there were networks for the lobby, floor 2 (mine), and floor 3 showing up. I could not get any to accept the code that was supposed to work. The AC unit was placed so that it blew on us and we had to decide between this or roasting. We let it run. I think the clerk(s) at the front desk should at least make eye contact or somehow acknowledge guests. They seemed to be in their own little world.

All in all, it was a fine time and in time I hope they work out these minor issues. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room over the restaurant as the bar gets loud at night.
1  Thank Sliphorn
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This historic hotel is very very clean. I can honestly say it was much nicer than the Hilton We stayed at the previous two nights. Very close to the Jet Express. Staff was friendly and accommodating. We didn't go to the restaurant but it too looked very nice.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the The Island House for a group event. Knew there might be problems when the check in clerk explained how it might take 15-20 minutes for the hot water to make it to our room once it was turned on in the morning. Should have known that was a sign of bad things to come. Started when we went to bed......every time the Air Conditioner kicked on there was a horrible loud clicking noise. My wife, who NEVER wakes up in the middle of the night for any reason, woke up every time the AC came on. So no rest in that room. Then the next morning, I turned on the shower to the hottest setting and let it run......10 min, 15 min, 20 min, 25 min, 30 min.......still cold. Played with the control and finally got to cool instead of cold........so we took very cool showers. I stopped at the front desk and the clerk said "Oh yes, we have had hot water problems in that room before, and I think there is a certain spot on the dial that you need to put it on to get warm water." Might that have been a good thing to let me know when I checked in? So, the maid marked on the dial with a permanent marker where to put the dial......unbelievablly it was in the middle, between cold and hot, and not even close to the hot setting. So, day 2 we had a warm (not hot) shower.......I'd say it was the minimum temp you could call a warm shower. As for the AC, the clerk said the maid checked and didn't hear anything, so they basically were saying "you are crazy"! It only makes the sound when the compressor comes on, so no sound for 15 min, and the horrible sound for 15 min........easy to see that she didn't hear anything if she stopped by when the compressor wasn't on. ai asked if someone could come up and check it and she said nobody was available. So, night two and no sleep again. I asked if they could give me a credit for all th issues, and they gave me $20/night.......on a $150/night room!!! Come on. I called the GM after returning home and asked about getting a bigger credit. She said she would check with her manager and get back to me. Well, 8 days passed and I called her back......she said he manager had said the $20 was the best she could do. What a horrible experience. Net is I will never stay there again, and will tell everyone I know to avoid this place at all cost!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Jeffrey G
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed in a queen size room which was small, but just what we needed. We would have liked to try restaurant and we will next time, but didn't have time this trip. The hotel is right across the street from the Jet Express which we took to Put in Bay. The fridge in the room was a plus and it was clean and tidy. We had breakfast in the morning and it was standard and appropriate. The front desk staff were accommodating and very polite. We really enjoyed this historic hotel and we will be back!

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

What a great experience. Very convenient and quant place to stay. It's across from the Jet express and close to the shop's in town. Such a cozy little historical place. We're definitely coming back next year for sure.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We are checking out of the Island House after a two night stay. This is a beautiful historic hotel. This is the second time we've stayed. Both times we had the King Bed Suite corner room. The room is beautiful and has a nice view of the lake. Because we haven't stayed in other rooms, I can't rate them, but this room I highly recommend. Also, the service is excellent. The refrigerator in our room wasn't working, I called the front desk and with no hesitation, they said, "we will be right up with a new one"! Within minutes they were at the door with the refrigerator and a bag of ice! Peggy and her husband are very friendly and quick to help with whatever we needed!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake!
1  Thank BradnAmy B