“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We checked into a 3 bedroom cottage for a 7 day stay with family. When checking in and out we had absolutely no problems. We drove up to the cottage and I have to say after reading some of the reviews on here I really had no idea what to expect. I took cleaning supplies and blankets just in case! I opened the door to the cottage and was taken aback as it wasn't at all what I expected. I was very pleasantly surprised. We walked through the entire unit and I could find nothing negative about it. If I were to nitpick there was a scratch on the refrigerator but I honestly did not see anything else. We had double doors that opened out onto a deck on the inlet that leads out to the big river so we could watch boats coming and going from the marina. I love wildlife so I was able to have my coffee in the morning and watch the various animals and birds coming and going. It was very quiet in the area that we were located in but that is what we prefer. The location is close to Cedar Point and Kalahari Water Park which is why I chose it. This unit was an exchange through RCI and I would do it again. Both of my Grandkids and the bigger kids enjoyed the fishing lake, we also enjoyed the pool and walks around the property. I plan to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: There is a large campground on the front of the property so select a cottage away from there if you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Susan T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Macedonia, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stay away from this hill-billy haven! We just went for the 4th of July weekend. Checking in on Thursday and out on Sunday. We arrived about 6pm, held up at the guard shack because we brought our dog. I had reserved a cottage that was "pet friendly" but we were not put there. Our teenagers had to stay at the guard shack with the dog while I went up to the hotel to figure out the problem. They finally "agreed" to let us keep the dog but I had to pay an additional $150 fee for pet cleaning. We got the the cottage and it was disgusting, dust bunnies the size of a small cat, cobwebs, one sink in the bathroom didn't work, exhaust fan broken and you couldn't turn the air down lower than 70 degrees. I asked for a cottage on the water, we were about 30 feet from it but they had not cut down any of the growth so you could barely see the water.

The cottage said it sleeps six adults, 3 full beds is not what I would promote for this cottage. 4 max just because of one bathroom.

I did like the pool area except for the fact that the kiddie pool was ice cold, they should at least heat. Kids don't want to play in ice cold water.

I was disappointed in the play area, dirty run down, no put put.

The resort is a joke for anyone who really wants to stay someplace nice, they certainly don't lie on the website but I would never spend another dime there.

They did have free WiFi but the cell reception was horrible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank JoAnne L
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Three of us came here for a girls weekend. We arrived around 10pm and was checked in by the security guard. He advised that the hotel was a mile straight ahead, and no one was at the front desk. At the time we didn't think anything of that statement since it was so late. Little did we know that this meant there were NO lights in the parking lot (we weren't even sure if where we parked was the parking lot), no lights on in the lobby except one overhead, and no staff AT ALL anywhere in the hotel! Being three women, we were concerned for our safety. To top it off, the papers the guard provided had the hours of operation; the guard was until 2 am. The front desk came in at 8 am. So, who is running the ship from 2 am to 8 am? There was a pool table and bar upstairs...all closed. This was the end of June-peak summer season. When we finally found a vending machine, the Diet Pepsi we bought was expired. To top it off, there was a bouquet of DEAD flowers on the front desk. Really???

Although the room had newer hardwood floors, it was very plain. When I pulled down the covers, there were several long black hairs in one of the beds! The bathroom door frame had a fruit sticker on it, along with a piece of plastic bag stuck in the latch. The bathroom also had a light out, and half-painted walls! They should not even advertise wifi as it barely connected. This is not what I would expect when they are charging almost $200 a night. Since it was so late, we had no one to speak to. The front desk opened at 8 am, so we decided to hang out in the morning so we could get a live person. By 8:15, there was still no one in the hotel! We called the guard, and he said he had no idea if or when the girl would show! We left. No way would we stay a second night as originally planned.

It took all day for Hotels.com to even reach someone at the hotel via phone for us, only to be told they would not give us a refund for the second night (it was a 2 night minimum). When we finally got through to the manager, she made it seem like we were making this up to get out of the second night! We sent her a detailed email as requested Saturday night-with photos- and it it now Wednesday with absolutely no response.

I have traveled all over the world, and have never experienced such lack of concern for a customer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
17 Thank Sunny54321
Reviewed 2 July 2014

When we got there they did not have our reservation for a cottage but since we booked online through a third party we are not sure whose fault that was. They put us in a beautiful suite so we had 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. The place was quiet, relaxing, and we had a wonderful time. We pretty much had the pools to ourself which our girls loved. Overall we had a very nice stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Jeannette A
Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Cost was high, location was okay but the service was none. We arrived at 9pm and all staff was gone. We found out this was their normal. The security guard a mile a way was our contact who got us a room key but no services available.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Jon C
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is an interesting resort hidden away yet not far from the city of Port Clinton. The website is lacking with information. I have made calls to the office staff for information but they have not returned my calls. The Sales staff is selling timeshares but there are not many timeshare buildings on the property. It seems that any remodeling at the resort is done slowly and sometimes not at all. The mini golf course has been under renovation for three years.
The indoor and outdoor pools are good and the nice rec center has lounges TV., game room, store, and a small seasonal restaurant. The lake behind the rec center is scenic and there are paddleboats. The disc golf course is fair and was converted from a par 3 golf course.
The Inn hotel rooms are nice, some were converted to timeshare units, but there is no elevator. There is a spa which may not be well used at this type of resort. A campground is available with few trees. The marina is nice but does not have many boats due to the low inlet level of the Portage River which runs behind the resort. For boaters, the Portage River meets Lake Erie. The resort is not far from Fremont.

Room Tip: Off season is a better value with more availability.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen L
Kitimat, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I made a mistake of not reading the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking a cabin. Yes the water stunk as others indicated, wanted to through up brushing my teeth. Yes, we also were not given the unit we booked but another lessor unit at the same price. No, Joan was no where to be found when something needed repaired, stayed for two and a half months with a broken fireplace and door lock. Yes, the silver ware was so cheap it rusted after one washing, ended up using plastic. No, Joan will not return our calls concerning the security deposit. Many more things are seriously wrong with Erie Island Resort and most of them were already in other reviews, if I had only read and heeded them before I booked. Please listen to this warning and run the other way!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business