“Do Not Stay Here!”

Erie Islands Resort Marina
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Worst trip my family has ever been on, and we have been on many together! This place is like a prison. Customer service is non-existent. The owners and staff treat you like an inmate. Very rude people at the front desk. We were harassed and forced to leave after one night. Website states pets welcome, staff stated otherwise. Amenities on website are very misleading- mini golf was no longer there, disc golf course was not playable, volleyball court was a joke. The "resort" is not on Lake Erie. When we went to dinner at the restaurant staff told us they would prepare food for the kids even though their was no kids menu- when we asked for kids meals, we were told their was none. It wasn't a shock their was so many vacancies considering how no one would want to be there!

11  Thank Ron M

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Me and my son stayed here for a weekend and arrived late Friday nite. Was a little confused with the whole guarded gate area but parked car and registered. Got keys and entered the hotel. They lack close parking to entrance which is annoying to drag luggage more Inconvience.

Entered room and was clean however was a heat box since no one had turned air on even though expecting are arrival. Had difficulty finding ice machine not really well mapped for location of it. Annoying thing is excess to outlets to plug cell Phn not near bed it's clear across the room or behind furniture and bed headboard nailed to wall. Again Inconvience.

Hotel was very quiet for weekend no disruptions from other quest and slept well for both nites.

Now where I have a overall issue with my stay is the two ladies manning the front desk they lack hospitality in a huge way. I assume the one lady was manager but saying good morning and they respond back was almost a grimace vs politely smiling back to say good morning. I endure upon check out a 15min conversation I overheard of how someone had no entitlement to be staying in the cottage they were staying in. She then puts person on hold and comes out of office to say to other can you believe they checked them in. Other lady didn't respond very much but I just found to be highly unprofessional. Then another guest was waiting to complain of how there a/c wasn't working the main lady almost was indicating that the guest must not know how to work it because they looked at it and it worked for them. Snottyly she said let's go together and look at it. Regardless of clean room I wld never give my money to a company that hires staff that's rude and inconsiderate and apparently have no manners and etiquette of how you handle yourself in a business setting. Just highly disappointed in customer service and kinda felt they take no ownership of there errors.

14  Thank Spunkytavelor
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We checked into a 3 bedroom cottage for a 7 day stay with family. When checking in and out we had absolutely no problems. We drove up to the cottage and I have to say after reading some of the reviews on here I really had no idea what to expect. I took cleaning supplies and blankets just in case! I opened the door to the cottage and was taken aback as it wasn't at all what I expected. I was very pleasantly surprised. We walked through the entire unit and I could find nothing negative about it. If I were to nitpick there was a scratch on the refrigerator but I honestly did not see anything else. We had double doors that opened out onto a deck on the inlet that leads out to the big river so we could watch boats coming and going from the marina. I love wildlife so I was able to have my coffee in the morning and watch the various animals and birds coming and going. It was very quiet in the area that we were located in but that is what we prefer. The location is close to Cedar Point and Kalahari Water Park which is why I chose it. This unit was an exchange through RCI and I would do it again. Both of my Grandkids and the bigger kids enjoyed the fishing lake, we also enjoyed the pool and walks around the property. I plan to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: There is a large campground on the front of the property so select a cottage away from there if you...
5  Thank Susan T
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stay away from this hill-billy haven! We just went for the 4th of July weekend. Checking in on Thursday and out on Sunday. We arrived about 6pm, held up at the guard shack because we brought our dog. I had reserved a cottage that was "pet friendly" but we were not put there. Our teenagers had to stay at the guard shack with the dog while I went up to the hotel to figure out the problem. They finally "agreed" to let us keep the dog but I had to pay an additional $150 fee for pet cleaning. We got the the cottage and it was disgusting, dust bunnies the size of a small cat, cobwebs, one sink in the bathroom didn't work, exhaust fan broken and you couldn't turn the air down lower than 70 degrees. I asked for a cottage on the water, we were about 30 feet from it but they had not cut down any of the growth so you could barely see the water.

The cottage said it sleeps six adults, 3 full beds is not what I would promote for this cottage. 4 max just because of one bathroom.

I did like the pool area except for the fact that the kiddie pool was ice cold, they should at least heat. Kids don't want to play in ice cold water.

I was disappointed in the play area, dirty run down, no put put.

The resort is a joke for anyone who really wants to stay someplace nice, they certainly don't lie on the website but I would never spend another dime there.

They did have free WiFi but the cell reception was horrible.

14  Thank JoAnne L
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Three of us came here for a girls weekend. We arrived around 10pm and was checked in by the security guard. He advised that the hotel was a mile straight ahead, and no one was at the front desk. At the time we didn't think anything of that statement since it was so late. Little did we know that this meant there were NO lights in the parking lot (we weren't even sure if where we parked was the parking lot), no lights on in the lobby except one overhead, and no staff AT ALL anywhere in the hotel! Being three women, we were concerned for our safety. To top it off, the papers the guard provided had the hours of operation; the guard was until 2 am. The front desk came in at 8 am. So, who is running the ship from 2 am to 8 am? There was a pool table and bar upstairs...all closed. This was the end of June-peak summer season. When we finally found a vending machine, the Diet Pepsi we bought was expired. To top it off, there was a bouquet of DEAD flowers on the front desk. Really???

Although the room had newer hardwood floors, it was very plain. When I pulled down the covers, there were several long black hairs in one of the beds! The bathroom door frame had a fruit sticker on it, along with a piece of plastic bag stuck in the latch. The bathroom also had a light out, and half-painted walls! They should not even advertise wifi as it barely connected. This is not what I would expect when they are charging almost $200 a night. Since it was so late, we had no one to speak to. The front desk opened at 8 am, so we decided to hang out in the morning so we could get a live person. By 8:15, there was still no one in the hotel! We called the guard, and he said he had no idea if or when the girl would show! We left. No way would we stay a second night as originally planned.

It took all day for Hotels.com to even reach someone at the hotel via phone for us, only to be told they would not give us a refund for the second night (it was a 2 night minimum). When we finally got through to the manager, she made it seem like we were making this up to get out of the second night! We sent her a detailed email as requested Saturday night-with photos- and it it now Wednesday with absolutely no response.

I have traveled all over the world, and have never experienced such lack of concern for a customer.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
17  Thank Sunny54321
Reviewed 2 July 2014

When we got there they did not have our reservation for a cottage but since we booked online through a third party we are not sure whose fault that was. They put us in a beautiful suite so we had 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. The place was quiet, relaxing, and we had a wonderful time. We pretty much had the pools to ourself which our girls loved. Overall we had a very nice stay and would stay there again.

5  Thank Jeannette A
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Cost was high, location was okay but the service was none. We arrived at 9pm and all staff was gone. We found out this was their normal. The security guard a mile a way was our contact who got us a room key but no services available.

5  Thank Jon C