“Christmas In July 27-29, 2012”

Clinton Inn and Suites
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Cleveland, Ohio
“Christmas In July 27-29, 2012”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

When my friend and I first booked this hotel, we got it at real cheap rate. We were planing on Christmas in July @ PIB, but we planned late so this is where we stayed. We had read all the negative reviews about this hotel. Two of our (friends) backed out because the hotel wasn't good enough, but it was my friends B-Day so we decided to go with this hotel anyway. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but very comfortable. The balcony could have been a little more clean, but it served its purpose for opening the door and getting some air. The bathroom was just a bathroom nothing spectacular and we had hot water for showing. We saw maybe two centipedes. No different than the ones at home in the basement. Hotel has no elevator so don't bring a lot of luggage or you will have gotten a good workout going up and down stairs. Continental breakfast is what it is donuts and coffee and that's at any hotel. All in all the weekend hotel stay wasn't bad. It was comfortable and yes If I can't stay on Put in Bay Island, I will definitely come back here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
West Union, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I had a wonderful time at this hotel. Our room was very clean, the employees are friendly .Annette Is a wonderful Manager there and gave us a great rate. The view of the lake was awesome. We plan on coming back here next year. We just wish It hadn't ended so soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. My room had a foul odor and the furniture was worn. There was a bug crawling on the bathroom floor which looked like a scorpion. I had concerns about walking on the carpet in my room because there were filthy stains on the carpet. This hotel averaged about $75 a night and was not worth the cost.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 50183meddy

Travellers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

Millersport, Ohio
Reviewed 2 July 2012

On our first trip to the islands we stayed at this hotel. From the time we walked into the door we felt very welcome, Annette met us with a hello and a smile. She then found us the room we wanted at a very good price. She was so pleasant and friendly. Then in the evening Andy was working at the desk and he to was very friendly, he gave us some recommendations for dinner and did not lead us astray. The room was clean, spacious and bed was very comfortable. The staff were nice and helpful. We would ABSOLUTELY stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I spent the Friday of Memorial Day weekend here before our trip to Put In Bay. This is a one star hotel. For the price I paid I figured it would be. The staff are very friendly. The bed was comfortable. The towels were scratchy and I had to go to the front desk and ask for a hair dryer. The hotel is on the lake and has a beautiful view. I would stay here again, but only for one night. Did not try the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jo-travel-alot
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 17 October 2011

This motel is in a very convenient location in downtown Port Clinton, and even thought it sits on a small parcel of land it manages to have plenty of convenient parking for its guests. It looks very nice on the outside, and sits right next to the shore of Lake Erie with a good view of the lake from the backyard patio.

However, all is not good. A friend and I recently stayed there for two nights over a windy October weekend and found that this place has seen better days. The rooms are smallish and cramped, and maintenance is obviously lacking. For instance some of the doors leading out of the hallways to the outside lacked weatherstripping and latches (!) so that the wind constantly rattled them noisily against their frames. The first room we were given had a tub drain that was clogged, and the door had no weatherstripping and was so loose in its frame that it rattled as guests walked by in the hallway (plywood floors) and it let in a lot of light from the hallway. With great apologies, the very nice desk clerk gave us a different room. However, that room had a very strong musty, moldy odor. So we got a third room. The new room didn't have the moldy smell but had a too-strong odor of some sort of cleaner that took a while to get used too. The lack of maintenance showed here also; the control panel for the air conditioning unit was missing, and it was impossible to change the temperature setting without pliers. The in-room refrigerator had broken controls. The carpet was dirty.

I also did not like the extra charge tacked on for an in-room safe that neither of us needed to use.

My overall impression was that this motel is being operated in a way to make the most money from an obviously dwindling customer base (but the motel next door was full both nights we were there). Cutting out so much of the most basic maintenance is one of the best ways to accelerate a death spiral, and they are doing just that. A shame.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ed M
North Port, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here October 11-12. We arrived in Port Clinton around 9pm not knowing where we would stay. After calling several places, this one was not to expensive for the night. We arrived and our first impression was very good. The outside was nice looking and we were actually surprised it looked as good as it did. We went inside to check in and the man at the front desk was very nice! I think he was about the friendliest hotel staff I'v ever met. Honestly, when we arrived, neither of us were in good moods. Our mini trip did not go as planned and we were stressed, tired and hungry. After we checked in our moods were much improved! He really helped us to get past the bad trip and our attitudes totally changed! Also the inside area looked reasonably nice. Some of the ceiling tiles were yellowed and stained from what I guess was water damage. Overall it was still a good impression. The man then chased us down in the parking lot and apologized that the room he gave us was still dirty and he would have to give us another room. He ended up upgrading us to a nicer room with a jacuzzi. It was very nice of him! We left, got dinner and brought it back. When we saw the room.. it was a little less then expected of a jacuzzi suite. The TV was small and pretty far from the bed so it wasn't easy to watch. They get HBO... however thats about all they get plus a few basic channels. Since we watch nothing on HBO, it was kind of disapointing since we wanted to relax and watch TV. The room overall was clean. Sheets were clean, no stains or spots visable. Floor looked clean along with the bathroom. The bed was a king size, comfortable enough for us. The room was pretty spacious. I was surprised to see they do not have mini fridges or microwaves. Being a 'suite' I thought they would. We didn't use the shower or jacuzzi since we only stayed one night. My biggest complaint that we were pretty upset about was the noise at 5am from the staff. I think poor planning when the hotel was built was the cause for this because on the otherside of our wall was where the staff either prepares for breakfast or gets supplies to clean. Not sure, but at about 5am we were woken up by a lot of loud clattering. It was so disturbing and lasted for about 30-45 minutes. I finially did get back to sleep. I think they should of picked a better location for the staff then right next to a guest room. Other then that the stay was okay. Breakfast again was a little disapointing. The fruit looked and tasted as if it was getting pretty old. The muffins were good, juice was good. I didn't see any cereal but may have missed it. Only problem I had with check out is that the lady did not ask how our stay was/thank us for staying. I always think this should be mandatory to ask guests. We spent $50 for that night, and I surely would not want to pay more then that. I would avoid the suite/jacuzzi rooms since, to me its not worth the extra price they'll charge. The location is pretty good, and the pool in back is right there at the lake. So thats a plus. Otherwise, its a pretty standard motel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
OurGuest Inn & Suites
OurGuest Inn & Suites
#6 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to Clinton Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!