“Beware!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Beware!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel in July of 2013. As we hadn't made a reservation in the area, we stopped to check availability at this facility. To their credit, they processed our check-in 45 minutes early. We requested a king-sized balcony room and were assured one was available, but received a king-sized without a balcony. We returned to the front desk and were given another room (this time w/balcony), but it had not yet been cleaned. We left and explored Port Clinton for about an hour.

We returned to a "prepared" room that started bad and got progressively worse throughout the evening. The bathroom had no toilet paper - that was the first trip to the guest services desk. When I flushed the toilet, it backed up almost to the point of overflowing. That and no trash can in the room meant a second trip to the guest services desk and we were told the maintenance would fix the problems. To give the maintenance staff time, we visited the pool for about an hour. When we returned, the guest services attendant met us in the lobby with a trash can and a request that we use the plunger in our room. She did offer us another room if that didn't meet our needs. At that point it was getting late and we'd been traveling all day, so we decided to stick it out.

To explain the rest of the problems would take several paragraphs, so I'll simply provide a list: broken sink fixture, ice container not emptied from previous guests, candy wrapper and dead gnats between the mattress and box springs, refrigerator dirty, three inch thick layer of ice in the freezer, no toiletries, had not been vacuumed, clock unplugged, cigarette ashes on back of toilet (non-smoking room), crushed cigarette butt on the floor, mold on the inside of the shower curtain.

The desk attendant was friendly but overwhelmed; we were not the only ones complaining about things that day. The only good thing I can say about this facility is the outside grounds/pool were clean and well maintained.

We left early the next morning and spent the remainder of our trip just down the street in the Travelodge, where the room was clean and the service efficient.

If you are thinking about the Best Budget Inn, I strongly advise you to reconsider.

6 Thank Kelli M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

As I checked in with a Retire COL it took at least 10 minutes to determine if a room was available. I was given room keys that did not work. When rekeyed I returned to my assigned room
opened the door to find someone springing out of bed to see who I was. The room assigned to me was already occupied.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone atending the National Matches at Camp Perry Ohio.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve f

Travellers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was the absolute most disgusting place I have ever been to. We had no choice but to remain here as it was very late at night after we decided to stay an additional day in the area and did not expect it to be difficult to find availability on a week night at our preferred locations. The room had multiple doors that did not lock (we had 6 ppl and had a suite with multiple rooms), the place was filled with bugs both smashed dead on the walls and ceiling and live ones. The bath room was filthy. . . I opened the doors under the sink looking for more toilet paper and found nasty wash clothes that had been tossed underneath looking like they had either feces or blood on them and women's feminine products! The carpet was stained and dirty. The side door to the exterior of the building had a key card entry, but it was not needed as the security of a locking external door did not work. Prior to going to the room I had asked the front desk if the room (seeing as it had 4 beds and a roll out) had enough towels for 6 ppl already in it and was assured that it already did. When we entered there were only 2 sets of towels. There was no bedding for the pull out sofa anywhere. When I went down for more bedding and towels I was even more disgusted by the staff being forthcoming with how the owners cut corners and do not care about the proper upkeep of the hotel. I found out that they have NO housekeeping supervisor that oversee how well the housekeeping staff are doing their jobs. I was told that they recently caught one housekeeper not even removing soiled bedding between guest and merely remaking the beds with the soiled bedding! When we expressed our discontent with the management upon checkout (believed to have been the actual owners) they actually attempted to tell us that the security of the doors not locking should not be a big deal b/c we were on the 2nd floor so it wasn't like anyone was going to climb up to that level to get in! And they actually tried to say that their housekeeping staff does the best they can!!!!! WHAT!??? I realize that this is not a top tier hotel, BUT ALL HOTELS SHOULD MAKE CLEANLINESS A PRIORITY AND NOT AN AREA TO SKIMP ON!!!!!!! This hotel needs a new owner, management, and housekeeping staff!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Aimee_Ohio
Walton Hills, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed at Best Budget Inn after spending the day at Cedar Point. The location is perfect, as we are close to Mon Ami winery, the ferry, and do not like to pay over-inflated prices. Love the backyard area...there are Adirondack chairs, & a picnic table to sit out and look at the lake. Love that it is "off the beaten path" of the craziness of route 250! Sue at the front desk was so nice and personable! We actually remember her from staying in other hotels in Port Clinton...she just seems to go above and beyond to make our stay pleasant!
We definitely will be returning!

2 Thank DiLovesadventure
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

OMG! I realize this is not a 5-star hotel but it doesnt rate even 1 star. Dirty floor, dirty sink, dirty railings going up to room, dirty windows. We booked this non-smoking lakefront room with balcony but couldn't sit on balcony cause next door people smoked all the time. Couldn't look at the lake cause the window was so smeared and filthy. Balcony floor was disgusting with dirt and hair. TV remotes didn't work. Room wasn't cleaned in 3 days. People not staying at motel used pool and were so rowdy and obscene we had to close windows. I dropped something on the floor and saw the filth on the carpet and under the bed. We left and will never go back. Our 1-week vacation was ruined. I tried to contact owner to advise but no one would give me their name.

1 Thank joyce s
Ironton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Sue was pleasant at the front desk upon arrival. The outside doors don't lock which is a safety concern and the bed had a flat sheet covered with a blanket. The sheet came off and the decor is out of date. The air conditioner isn't very cool. I wished they had a fridge and microwave but then they would have to bump up the cost. The pool had a spectacular view of the lake, and it had a dock for people to swim in the lake. The beds were comfortable, and the room was clean. We are already planning another trip back because of the location and price. We will bring a cooler and our own pillows and blankets for comfort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Birkimom
Hocking Hills OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Greeted all so kindly by Marcia. Fast professional check-in. My room was clean, cool and there were clean towels etc. Outside was my favorite with a wonderful view and sparkling lakeside pool! Breakfast was fresh and again was greeted by a very pleasant lady named Connie. Everything I needed or had questions about was immediately addressed. This was well worth the $ spent. I've stayed in 2 others close by in the past with higher ratings and was not at all satisfied. Had to share pool between 2 motels and was not on the lake. I will be back with family and friends!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends