“"Off Season" story...”

African Safari Wildlife Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Drive-through safari park features more than 100 acres of land where hundreds of rare and exotic animals roam free in simulated settings.
Clarkston, MI
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“"Off Season" story...”
Reviewed 19 April 2008

I have been telling the rest of my family about the Safari Park for years. I absolutly LOVE IT- during the regular season. I just came back from taking my son (which has gone a dozen times), sister-in-law and 2 1\2 year old son there yesterday. I was disappointed that there was no camel rides, pony rides, pig races, animals in the the walk through and no exotic animal shows. Also, there was not as much animals in the drive through safari as usually they have. I am not knocking the park because I understand that MI weather is tricky and they have to do what is best for the animals BUT they should inform you in the "special promotions" that you will not even get half of the expected experience. This is not a way to keep customers coming back, especially first time experiences. Other than that, this place is GREAT!!! during the regular season!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

5 Thank jemstarr24

Grand Rapids MIchigan
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Better than the one we went to in Florida”
Reviewed 29 December 2007

The thing that sets this zoo apart from all other zoos including other drive through zoos is that you are able to feed the animals from your car. The kids and I have to admit myself too had so much fun feeding them. There is nothing quite like having a buffalo come up to your car and eat a carrot out of your hand.

Portsmouth, Ohio
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 230 helpful votes
“A Really Neat Place”
Reviewed 6 December 2007

My family & I went on a trip to Port Clinton last summer. While there, we visited Cedar Pointe, the African Safari Wildlife Park, and stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge. It was a great trip. I wasn't sure what to expect from the Safari, but it actually turned out to be really fun! You drive through & they give you a cup of feed for the animals. The animals go CRAZY for it, and some try to take the cup away from you. I was afraid to let them stick their heads in our window, but the car in front of us didn't seem to mind at all. I was also afraid of the buffalo- they're huge! And scary. It was a hot day when we were there, and we did kind of feel sorry for the animals, because there wasn't alot of shade for them. They were panting & looked hot. Behind the gift shop, there is a trail of more animals in cages, like monkeys and things like that. My kids did enjoy this place. I would reccomend this place if you are going to be in the area.

1 Thank RosemountChick
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Better than expected!!”
Reviewed 3 October 2007

My husband and I were looking for something to fill time before we checked into our hotel upon arrival in Port Clinton and I had read several great reviews for the Wildlife Park. My general thought was that we would be lucky to have 1 or 2 animals come near the car as the they would be so used to having visitors throughout the day. I should have paid more attention to the previous assessments as we were overwhelmed by the attention the animals actually paid. As stated in other experiences, some more determined animals stick their entire heads into the vehicle and fight you for the plastic food cups. We wound up purchasing several large bags of carrots as we wanted to give the animals on the end of the trek an opportunity to feed. You can literally lose your cup of food the first 100 yards. When you encounter the first aggressive group, it seems almost scary, but we found ourselves hysterically laughing by the end at the tenacity of some. I would urge caution with small children if they are sitting next to a window (especially when open) as the sheer size of some of the heads are startling. In all it was great fun just getting the opportunity to get up and close to such beautiful creatures, My husband did worry that the rental car we were driving would be scratched by some of the long horn, so we didn't linger at that stop too long. It was definitely an attraction not to be missed.
P.S. The pellets all over the car actually were far messier than the saliva, but the vacuum at the end came in handy.

1 Thank camprpines
Concord, OH
“Wow!”
Reviewed 9 September 2007

What a terrific experience this was...upon entering the park, we were greeted by a swarm of spotted deer and some other big guys..it was scary at first, but as you continue to drive through, it became nothing....it's so cool to have them eat right out of the food cup that you yourself are holding....they will literally stick there heads right into your car to get the food...some of the bigger guys will 'fight' you and just take the entire cup, so let them have it.....it can get a little messy with the food pellets (additional foof cups can be purchased for $2 a cup)....I covered the inside of my car with plastic and sheets to help with the mess, but it only helped so much....I thought the slobber would be the problem, but that wasn't the case at all, it was the pellets that wreaked havoc on my car...lol...(at the end of the drive, there is a vacuum (.50) you can use to clean up all the pellets)...at one point during the drive through the park, my car was surrounded by all these critters....it was so cool!.....They really are gentle giants...your general admissions purchase entitles you to go through the park as many times as you like...we went through twice just so that we could feed the animals we didn't have food for on our first trip...after you have driven through the park, make sure to walk the rest of the park where there are other critters you can look at and ....it's located in back of the gift shop...well, I hope this review was of some help.....the bottom line is: it's a great place to go, especially if you're an animal lover like myself....oh, and one more thing....you're not allowed to bring your own carrots into the park (due to pesticides which can be hazardous to the animals)...we had just come from buying all these carrots hoping to feed the animals, but it was prohibited...well, I hope you all have as much fun as I did....

Review Options