“Typical Beach Hotel, Great Location”
Review of Beachfront Resort

Beachfront Resort
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This was a typical beachfront hotel: a little sandy in the room (floor, sheets); a little dingy and in disrepair, giving the impression of it not being too clean; not sure if the sheets were changed before we came; horribly uncomfortable beds. The soaps were adequate, the jacuzzi tub (I had a king jacuzzi room - king bed, pull out singe bed couch) was a nice plus, and the kitchenette was good for leftovers (microwave and small fridge). Ice and soda machines very close. Parking is close to the rooms, but we had to cross the street to check in and to get breakfast at another hotel in the group, which was kind of a drag with 3 little kids on a busy street and nowhere near a crosswalk. Breakfast was low budget continental -- the kids were quite happy with fruit loops and pastries, though no healthy choices other than an apple for Mom. The beach was small, but right outside the door, and the water was shallow for a good distance -- kids loved it. Selection of toys on the beach and more than enough lounge chairs were also a big plus. There is also a nice deck with lounge chairs, so there are ample views of the sun setting over the lake. There is a restaurant/bar next door (shares the beach), which was a little pricey for the quality of the food (again, not surprising, given the location), but insanely convenient, and the kids loved that their meals came on frisbees. Live music typical for summer party bars, if you like that sort of thing (think: Sweet Home Alabama). Walking distance (doable even for small kids) to the Jet Express ferry to the islands, which is the best part of the hotel. All in all, exactly what I expected, having stayed in many beachfront hotels throughout the US and Europe -- you pay for location, not for luxury. For the area, I would say this is hands-down the top choice. I would stay there again if travelling to the same location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank distortiongirl

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Excellent surroundings, lovely beach and view. Fabulous deck to watch the sunset. We loved your place and will come again. Our room was comfortable and clean. Drinks at Dock's were tasty however overpriced menu. Personally enjoyed the Irish place up town. Great staff and Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank lkbmcqueen
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I came up to Port Clinton for the first time with a group of five friends and stayed at Beach Front. The private beach was beautiful. A little seaweed here and there, but it's always washes up with the tide. The rooms were very suitable for my party, and the sun sets and rises over the horizon are a must see. We had an absolute blast. And the restaurant across from the hotel is beautiful as well, and parents can easily hang out other there and watch the kids from the water on their water front deck. The service, and management were extremely  nice, and assisted up with any problems we had. We'll defiantly be returning in the future!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank John N
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

On behalf of the entire staff at the Beachfront Resort Motel, we thank you for your kind words! We may be a bit spoiled with the view, but we cherish the amazing sunsets here at our "little slice of heaven on earth", as one of our regular guest labels it. We look forward to your next visit to the Port Clinton area.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

It was clean n well kept but the staff was not very friendly and the sun set was a little weird// setting alongside the nuclear power plants cooling tower--not a peaceful sight. My credit card has a $260.00 hold that no one, even the manager can tell me why. My bank says its on their end Beachfront motel is playin dumb. Let you know how that turns out.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
15  Thank Patrick K
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I visited the Beachfront Resort last weekend with two other couples. It was very clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. I loved being so close to the lake and the huge deck that extended from our door to the lake. We stayed in a single queen room and I was surprised at how big the room was and that it also had a sofa and a small kitchen table in it. The floor was ceramic tile which I thought was unusual but very clean. The only thing I didn't love was that our air conditioner seemed a bit noisy. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank DirtySanchezMC
tradewinds10, General Manager at Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you for the favorable feedback! We are delighted to hear your stay was an enjoyable one. As for the ceramic (actually porcelin!) tile floors, we upgraded all of our rooms on the first floor last year to this hard surface as a result of the sand that blows in from the beach on windy days. This is much easier to clean on a daily basis in the environment our rooms are exposed to, being right on the beach! Many beachfront properties in the southern states have this floor application for the same reason.
We look forward to serving you and your family on your next visit to Port Clinton!
Cordially,
Ken Kender

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed at the Beachfront Resort last week for a couple of nights and had a great time. Everyone we met (and we met A LOT of people) were sooo nice. Mary at the front desk was very helpful in offering recommendations for restaurants, bars, discount tickets for Jet Express, etc. The motel is rather simple, but it's affordable, clean and has all the amenities we needed for a couple of nights. Beds were comfortable, we couldn't hear people in the rooms next to us.

The motel is directly on a small beach with easy entrance to the lake (no rocks, etc.). You can walk very far out into the water from this location. There is also a deck overlooking the water with plenty of lounge chairs, picnic tables, etc. There's a volleyball net, cornhole boards, lots of beach lounge chairs. There's also a really nice outdoor bar which has recently been completely renovated and a restaurant. Directly adjacen there is jet ski, paddleboat and kayak rentals, which is very convenient. I wouldn't say the motel is within walking distance of the Jet Express, but it's a very short drive.

Only a few small negatives: only one-cup coffee makers in the room, and the coffee in the lobby is pretty nasty. Continental breakfast is served at the hotel across the street. And on Friday morning there was some heavy machinery making noise early in the morning, redistributing sand on the beach. I think this was in preparation for the beach party that was scheduled for later that day, but really? 7:30 a.m.??

We'll be back. We had a great time and would highly recommend the motel if you're looking to get away for a couple nights or if you want to stay near Put in Bay but don't want to pay the high prices over there.

Room Tip: There are two nice waterfront king jacuzzi suites
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gnomeme
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at the Beachfront Resort in Port Clinton Friday July 14 to Sunday July 17, 2011. We were in Port Clinton in 2010 and were walking around when we came across the Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant. We had a great meal at Docks and then stopped at the Beachfront Resort office to pick up a business card and get some information as a potential place to stay the next time we were in Port Clinton. Marge was at the desk and told us about the new owner and the upcoming renovations for next year. We were sold. We picked up a business card and discussed on the way back home that we wanted to stay at Beachfront Resort next year when we came to Port Clinton. Two months later called to make our reservations for the extended weekend of July 14-17. Between then and a couple of weeks before we arrived, I must have spoken to Wanda at least 4 times making sure my reservation was "A-ok" (I was concerned in regards to the computer system not being up and running yet) She was always so patient and cheerful with me. =) Day of Arrival came for our Port Clinton vacation. Wow! what a great choice! We had a room on the 2nd Floor 202. We were almost at the end but not quite. OUTSTANDING view! The MOTEL (I am emphasizing the word Motel so that uppity pretentious people who are looking for the Ritz Carlton can keep on moving thus avoiding their negative commentary later). room was very clean. had a king size bed as requested..a great refrigerator..sink..microwave..coffee maker....and..whoa...what is this.....A king size jacuzzi tub....Very Nice... Air conditioning worked great....Made great use of all amenities during our stay. Something that impressed me a lot about the Beachfront Resort is that Marge, Wanda, Mary, and others worked as a team in ALL aspects of making sure that things were running smoothly from working the front desk to cleaning the rooms to checking on people out on the deck.. Plenty of Deck Space facing Lake Erie for those wanting to hang out and take in the sun. Between the Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant was this great private beach that had plenty of upright and lounge chairs as well as quite a cache of toys for small children. Private beach also had several fire pits that could be used for late night fellowship. Docks Restaurant also came under new ownership and was nicely renovated from when we were there last time. The set up was really nice. Having the Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant and the private beach all together was very nice. We dined at Docks 3 times Good food. Live Entertainment. Service was decent. Everyone who was working was working hard. Overheard that they had been plagued with bartenders/servers (SLUGS) calling in sick en masse.. Twice for Dinner and once for lunch. NOTE TO ACCOUNTANT MICHAEL: I was able to use my American Express card to reserve and pay for my room at the Beachfront Resort and unable to use my American Express at Docks Restaurant. This is something that I would like to see changed the next time I return. =) The Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant are all part of what i will call "Mr. Ed's Lake Erie Empire" (which also includes the Commodore Perry Inns and Mr.Ed's. at Port Clinton and Put-In-Bay, Mist and I believe a few other establishments in Toledo and Sandusky) The Beachfront Resort office closes at 6 and then you can contact the Commodore Perry Inn and Business for any sort of needs due to same ownership. Beachfront Resort attendees can also use the Commodore's indoor pool. We had everything we needed between Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant and never used Commodore Inn. We did venture over to Mr. Ed's across the street one night, but turned around when they had a $3 cover charge. There are NO COOLERS allowed on the beach. You can drink on the beach, but only if those drinks are purchased at Docks Restaurant (due to their liquor license). If you let the Docks staff know you are on the beach and drinking...they will check on you and bring drinks to you! =) You can drink your own drinks on the Beachfront Resort DECKS as they are part of the Beachfront Resort. On Saturday, my girlfriend's sister and her family joined us from Cleveland. We had a great visit on the beach and in the water. Girlfriend's sister had two boys..5 and 10...They had a wonderful time inside and outside the water. The beach was very clean and the water was shallow enough for us all to travel pretty far out into the water. Nice Sand bar to walk on. No squiggly wiggly plants and things under your toes. Another great perk in regards to staying at Beachfront Resort is the fact that you are in walking distance of so many things. It's a short walk across the draw bridge and you can take Jet Express to Put-In-Bay or explore downtown Port Clinton. We barely used our car from the time we arrived until when we left. It was an OUTSTANDING stay and an OUTSTANDING vacation. We talked a bit on the way home about maybe staying at Put-In Bay next year, but after discussion..decided that Put-In-Bay is at most a "Day Trip" and being there at night with the college crowd would not necessarily be all that fun. If you are in Port Clinton for a fun vacation as a couple or with the kiddies....Beachfront Resort is the place to stay. I happily paid $500 for my 3 nights there. It's comparable to other hotel properties in Port Clinton that don't have the benefit of the location and/or the amenities. I understand that for Port Clinton and Put-in-Bay the season is April to October...after that..It's a ghost town. Beachfront Resort is where we will stay whenever we are in Port Clinton.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Marblehead
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#8 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!