“Scary and Sad”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Tampa, Florida
“Scary and Sad”
Reviewed 19 August 2006

This delapitated property needs to be gutted and re-made-completely! Bedding worn out; towels paper thin;lights that do not work; "LakeView" room has a 2 1/2 ft X 3 ft window that shows a partial shoreline of Lake Erie; not only do the rooms smell, the halls do too; burn marks on furniture; jaccuzi tub worn and not very clean; water faucets don't adjust temp properly; heat/AC unit only produced COLD air and the knobs just spun around; the pool is NOT heated and is ICE cold; they charge for a room safe even if you don't use it; it's horribly expensive for a worn Comfort Inn ( at $179.00 per night plus tax and safe fee).Front desk staff was snotty.

I think that because they have a great captive audience in this area with limited hotel chain hotels they capita;ize on it and simply don't care. They know they will get the price asked. The deck is very nice and the view is spectacular from the deck. However, there are no wonderful amenities on the deck, just a deck and some worn chairs. No towel service, no pool bar, no patio tables and umbrellas. Try the newer hotel across the draw bridge. About the same type as a comfort inn yet newer and cleanerand lower priced. Stayed there last year. Put-in Bay warning- They WILL and DO check your bags for alcohol being taken into your room.

5 Thank Buckeye460

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2006

Our stay at the Comfort in started out great we arrived at the Hotel, had great check in. Our resorvations were for 2 nights.
We cancelled the second night. On the website where we made our resorvation we reserved a King jaccuzzi suite with a 2 person
pull out sofabed. The pull out sofa bed was only for one person and smelled like mildew. I went to the front desk to let them know and was informed they had no 2 person pull out beds and they gave me a bottle of Frebreeze for the smell and said they would take 10% off the room. Had it not been so late we would have left.
The room view was great. Big deck looking out over Lake Erie.
The pool was clean but very small. I looks like the picture but half the size.
The room it self needed some TLC. Tiles by the Jaccuzzi were missing Screws were coming out of the wall to keep the wall up by the Jaccuzzi tub. Light above the Jaccuzzi did not work and was rusty.
The lobby of the hotel was nice and clean. Breakfast was great.
Upon check out they new nothing of the 10% off and the girl checking me out was rude.
Not worth the money.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Sofa bed not being what was told on reservations
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank BMW1

Travellers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 June 2006

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Port Clinton. We had a nice stay in one of the jacuzzi rooms with the lake view. We were pretty happy with the room over all. The staff were all friendly and helpful. They even offer a free shuttle service to the Jet Express to get you on Put-in-Bay. That came real handy since parking is expensive on top of the price of the jet express. The continental breakfast was nice. There was a lot to choose from, from dry cereal to making your own waffle. They could improve the quality of towels and sheets, both were very hard and scratchy! Would stay there again for the views alone.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mount Sterling, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 April 2006

I couldn't believe the other reviews I read for this hotel. If I'd read these before my trip, I would never have stayed there and that would have been a shame. The view was excellent from the deck though there were a few cob webs on the furniture, and the entire stay was peaceful and quiet. I asked for a room on the ground floor as close to the pool as possible and ended up with a partial lake view. The staff were helpful, and the room was clean. One part of the carpet was damp for reasons unknown, and the entire city had a water advisory mid-way through our stay but that wasn't the hotel's fault. No bugs or disgusting smells or stains in our room. It was a basic double bed room. I contacted this hotel after spending the night in a hotel nearby and being so disappointed there that I canceled the rest of my stay. The front desk guy helped me immediately and the cost was surprisingly low for such short notice and no reservation (this was in early June 2005). I would definitely stay here again. I've stayed in several hotels, and this was one of the most pleasureable ones to visit.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank KY-OH-Traveler
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 16 August 2005

This Comfort Inn is unlike many I have stayed in. The only thing saving it was the view from the deck. The deck itself was full of spider webs, dirt, mold and mildew. The furniture was old and tired. The room was OK, but I saw no value in having a jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room. The sheets didn't fit well, but this seems to be a problem in many motels. All and all, I would not recommend this hotel. However, with some effort it could improve greatly.

Stayed August 2005
8 Thank DBT882
Ohio
Reviewed 19 March 2005

I have stayed at this hotel many times. The rooms are spacious and clean , although as mentioned below, no fridge or microwave. The rooms have comfortable beds and clean linens. The staff are friendly and helpful.

The deck and pool are gorgeous. They offer a beautiful view of the lake. So far as I can tell this is the only lakeview pool in the area.

• Stayed July 2004
8 Thank putinbaydriver
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 March 2005

Dirty, Expensive, Disgusting- The Hotel was awful with old towels, a filthy bath/jaccuzzi.

• Stayed May 2004