“best bet in Portsmouth”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
St. Albans
“best bet in Portsmouth”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed here in July for a softball tourney in town. It was the first day of the change over from the Ramada Inn to a Holiday Inn. THE GOOD: I will start off by saying that the people that work there could not be more helpful! We needed a two night stay and they were initially booked for the second night but they worked hard to allow us to stay in our same room and not have to change hotels. The bartender is fantastic! We arrived at 9:50 the first night with the kithen closing at ten and he made sure that we were still able to feed our hungry crew. He mixes a great drink too. The food is good. The ribs are fantastic. We had a large party the next night for dinner and they graciously sat us in a private room and the two girls that were our servers were fantastic. ( and we were not an easy group due to the size) I wish I had gotten their names. The rooms are nicely decorated and the beds are very comfy. Everything was clean! The Pool is nice.. large enough and beautiful seating areas. The NOT SO GOOD (and I say this because nothing was awful). They need towels in the pool area.... they want you to bring them from your rooms but you don't have enough in the room to do that. .. also they seemed a little annoyed when you ask for them at the desk. Our bathroom door would get stuck .. leaving our 9 yr old trapped and panicked for a second. Took my husband to yank it open. Finishing touches needed in the rooms and halls. They are in the middle of a huge remodel and change over... they should bite the bullet and just shut down for a day or two and bang out the finishing touches. There was also an issue with the billing.. i was double billed but I will attribute that to the change over and computer glitches. It was fixed quickly. It is a little over priced for the type of hotel but still your best option in town. In all I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly, don't book thru the 800 number
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Branson, MO
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We have been at this hotel several times attending the Roy Rogers Festival. The Holiday Inn has been working on the remodeling of a rundown Ramada for almost two years now and have made a lot of progress. I thought it was overpriced given they still have work to do and do not give complimentary breakfasts. The rooms are nice sized although they were stuck with very small bathrooms. Although they still have only one elevator to service the five floors it seemed to be more responsive than I remembered. When we checked into our room and we to bring our luggage in we noticed the door didn't lock behind us. We told a maid and the front desk and were pleased with their quick response. We had 3 people there in a matter of minutes. I thought the staff was very helpful and attentive to our needs.

Is there work to be done? You bet! But compared to the previous facility it's a night and day difference. Tip for the hotel-you might want to spruce up the inside of the elevator. I know, not easy to do when stairs are not readily accessible.

• Stayed August 2011
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Was recenty in town for my Uncle's Funeral and stayed here with my family. There were a total of 3 rooms. When you walk into the lobby it was a mess, they are doing constrution every where you look. The check-in desk is over in a corner with wires running from the ceiling down so that their computers, phones etc. could be pluged in. We were told that most of the rooms had already be completed and that the rest of the constrution was running about 2 weeks behind. They were offering us a good rate because we were in town for a funeral, so we went ahead and checked in. We went up to our room and found it to be very nice, everything was new and clean. There were a few things that still needed to be completed in the room, but nothing that would stop you from enjoying the room. There were new beds, new blankets, new furniture and a flat screen t.v. and we looked out at the ohio river and the bridge to kentucky. Demons is no longer there and they have a temp resturant which was not all that great, and the cost was very high for what you got. However they did have free breakfast from 6a.m. to 9 a.m. and that was good. You had things like oatmeal, donuts, eggs, toast and you make your own waffles. The waffles were great, fresh ones not frozen ones. I would go back to this hotel with out thnking twice, the staff was nice, and you can see that when the construction is complete it will be a really nice place. Oh, and by the way, you have a small frig. in your room and a micro-wave as well. and free Wi-Fi

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mymisfit
Tennessee
Reviewed 18 September 2010

This is a former Ramada Inn located in the center of Portsmouth just steps away from the famous flood wal murals...a must see. According to a construction worker with whom I spoke, the top-to-bottom remodeling project currently underway is only 25% complete...at this time. Understandbly then, much of the place is a nasty, dusty construction zone. So....if you're looking for plush right now, go elsewhere.

That said, we had a good nights sleep in a restored room. Also, there is a Damon's rib joint within the hotel complex. Good meal there!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JayJayLoudonTN

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 August 2010

My husband & I stayed in this hotel on 8/4/2010 for one night. We were in Portsmouth to visit my 95 year old Aunt who lives nearby. The place was obviously under construction, but we thought it ok for one night. First the elevator was so small the luggage cart would barley fit, plus the wheels on the cart were broken. The hallway leading to our room was strewn with workmen's tools, drills etc. All the vent covers in the hall were off the walls, lying on the floor. The room was dirty, the carpet threadbare and sticky, the shower was filthy. The worst problem was the odor in the room, mildew, mold and dust were apparent. I have been on antibiotics since returning home with a major infection in my lungs. This place should be shut down until totally renovated. The price for this was also totally out of range.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank minny3333
maysville ky
Reviewed 7 September 2009

I called to check on the reviews here, told the supervisor, Angel, what it says here. She assured me that the negatives were not accurate. Boy was she right! We had a very nice room. The place was up to date, nice and clean, quiet. The elevator works about like any other 2-3 star hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! They are centerally located and easy to find.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Portsmouth Ohio is a decaying town, so it's not surprising that its best (really, only) hotel located in the central part of town is also decaying. So, if I knew someone who absolutely HAD to stay in Portsmouth, Ohio, I would recommend this hotel. But, only because this is truly the best the town has to offer.

The hotel is located right across the street from the Municipal Courthouse, and is caddy corner to Shawnee State's campus. If you have business in Portsmouth, you're likely there for business at one of those places, so the location is excellent. However, parking is lacking, especially when you consider that it hosts one of the few decent restaurants in town. So, depending on when you check in, you may be fighting dinner customers for parking.

The lobby is newer, but fading. You do have a good view into the pool, which looked to be the best thing about this place. It looked large and inviting, as well as well-kept.

As an aside, I have to say that the service was excellent - before I even arrived they caught the mistake that I was inadvertently reserved for the night before, and reversed the charges that had automatically shown up on my credit card resulting from being a "no-show."

The elevators were excruciatingly slow. The hallways were also fading, with older carpet and peeling wallpaper. The hotel room was smallish, with banged up and dusty furniture. The floors looked clean, but the carpet was sloppily installed and was bubbling up off the floor. It appeared that one could easily trip on the loose carpeting. The beds were firm and small (we had a two double room).

After reading that the previous two reviewers had broken tub stop assemblies lying in the tub, I have to say I was stunned that my room had this problem as well. I cannot understand why, eight and a half months after the previous reviewers started seeing this problem, the hotel still cannot fix its bathtubs. It did make me feel like I was at a Days Inn, rather than a Ramada.

In the morning, the breakfast was adequate.

I would stay here again if I had business in Portsmouth.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Portsmouth
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Best Western River Cities
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown? Share your experiences!